Confused regarding poor quality of LCD TV

smurf_2010

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been hovering around the forum for a while in deciding what LCD to buy. I'm looking for a quality unit so noticed postive comments regarding the Phillips 32PF9830 and Panasonic 32LXD500.

So l popped down to Currys and found the 32LX500 with a TV feed and one of the channels had currys demo feed. Flicked around BBC1, 2, ITV, etc. Looked like an SD feed. I was disappointed with the quality, very much so in fact. It looked blocky and noisy. I could not find the 32PF9830 as yet. When l looked at the Plasma sets, they appeared to handle SD images much better as the images looked cleaner, albeit a little softer. I'm really after an LCD, lighter, more energy efficient and look more compact.

So are the LCD sets only really good for DVD's and Consoles (XBOX, PS2) at the moment? I'm happy DVD's will look good. What are the general opinions with regards to the quality of the terrestrial channels (including free view). Should l go plasma or did l miss something with LCD?

I don't want to spend between 1.5 to 2K and live with the quality of what l saw (which is far inferior to CRT) as l wont be watching DVD's everyday. You can see why I’m confused especially given the glowing reviews in the forum.

So l popped down to Currys and found the 32LX500 with a TV feed and one of the channels had currys demo feed. Flicked around BBC1, 2, ITV, etc. Looked like an SD feed.
That's because they were SD feeds. Analogue TV too, right?

So are the LCD sets only really good for DVD's and Consoles (XBOX, PS2) at the moment?
Yes, that's pretty much it I'm afraid - Freeview will look *OK* but those two will be showing the display off at its best.

I take no notice of shops display, the local currys just have no idea at all how to display goods. Why they insist on giving poor quality UHF feed to these tv's is beyond me. If they want to sell LCD or HD then I for one would be showing a demo of what can be done. I don;t for a minute pretend be be an expert on av stuff, but if I could do a better job than these cowboys. My Sammy HD comes tommorow, yippee

Lyris said:
That's because they were SD feeds. Analogue TV too, right?

Yes, analogue by the looks of it.

So l guess l have to sit quite a distance away and put up with the poor quality :confused:

shrek101 said:
If they want to sell LCD or HD then I for one would be showing a demo of what can be done. I don;t for a minute pretend be be an expert on av stuff, but if I could do a better job than these cowboys. My Sammy HD comes tommorow, yippee

Understand what you are saying, l saw a DVD demo running on the 9886 and was impressed but seeing as l will be watching allot of TV, l was hoping it would be good.

See my threads here on these matters

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256206

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256242

Every store I have been in, including independents who should know what they are talking about says the top CRTs still beat LCDs on standard broadcast. The problem is CRTs will be out of date pretty soon, if you plan to go to HD. At the moment their seem to be some real bargains to be had on CRTs.

One thought that has crossed my mind is order the best LCD you can over the web and try it out! If you don't like it send it back with 7 days

The problem is its already practically possible to get a top CRT, as most companies are clearly now only producing lower end sets.

You might find lots of attractive CRT prices for good quality sets advertised but finding stock is not as easy as you'd think

to some extent stock is hard to find. At the moment it is possible (just). But in 6 months, it won't be I agree

An LCD TV is as good as the feed. I was disappointed with analogue TV through mine, but FV looks OK and SKY and an upscaling DVD player are nice compensation and look good to me. Given hindsight I think I'd have waited until New Year because the prices are dropping really quickly on LCD screens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom