Confused re setup of HS2/Sky +

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TraceyJ, Dec 19, 2003.

1. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been reading loads of posts in here and getting even more confused as I've gone along :blush: hope you don't mind me asking a question that has been answered before as I can't find out what I'm doing wrong :( I've now got a headache from trying to find out what is wrong and I've spent some time swapping all the wires around - no idea what the difference between RGB and s-video is (and a normal scart lead for that matter :blush: ) so please excuse me :blush:

I think my connections between Sky + /HS2/tv may be wrong as the picture through the HS2 has interference lines on it. I won't repeat what I've been reading about connections but could some kind person please tell me in relatively simple terms ;) what I should have connected where :blush:

My tv (JVC AV-28WFT1EK if that's relevant?) has 3 scarts - the manual says EXT 1 is the only RGB input.

Thanks very much
    Tracey

sorry about all the blushing smilies, it's just how I feel!! need a frustrated smilie too I think - ooohhh maybe this one will do :confused:

2. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I have the exact same set-up - albeit different TV :)

I have all fully-wired Scarts (i.e - all 21 pins present at each end).

Scart comes from the Sky+ TV Output into the AV2 socket of the HS2. A second Scart leads goes form AV1 on the HS2 into the TV's RGB Scart enabled socket. (via a Scart Switchbox but the principle is the same)

Sky+ is set to output RGB (Services - System SetUp - Picture Format - Video Output)

HS2 is set to accept RGB inputs on AV2 and output RGB on AV1.

I seem to recall having interference once before (waaaaay back) and the cause was the scart into the TV wasn't plugged in fully....

If everything is plugged in tightly, I would suggest trying to isolate which item is causing an issue, i.e:

Connect Sky+ to TV directly with a Scart cable - Check Picture.

Connect the HS2 to the TV with the same Scart Cable- Check Picture (from a DVD).

Repeat these with the other Scart cables you are using.

Hopefully, one of the cables will prove to have interference with both machines....

If not, and interference only occurs when having both Sky+ & the HS2 in the loop, then I'm allout of suggestions....

3. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for replying yuccaman :)

have changed my cables to your set up but the picture went even worse and the lovely clear sky dialogue box thingies went 'fuzzy' :confused: changed my AV1 and AV2 settings back to normal now as well

think I'll pick up some better quality scart leads tomorrow, see if they make any difference

if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful

many thanks
    Tracey

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    check sky+ is set to output RGB, and dont connect RF lead between HS2 and sky+ aerial>HS2>TV only as it might be an RF output frequency issue ( you are watching sky through AV1 on TV not channel 9 on TV or anything)

5. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice but when I take out the RF lead between HS2 and sky+ I don't get any picture, am I doing something wrong?! I've had to put it back in but have left the aerial out now as I don't really need to record to the HS2 directly from tv - how often do you need to record 3 programmes at once?! (loving the dual record facility on Sky+ btw!)

Sky+ is definitely set to RGB but I've had to change my cables back to how they were as the picture I was getting was bad :( It's better again now but don't think it's right.

You can see very faint writing going across the screen at times too. I've had to change the AV1 and AV2 settings on the HS2 to video as with the RGB setting the picture was much worse.

Sorry for rambling!

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tracey,

You must either have something connected wrongly or you are trying to watch Sky/HS2 on an ordinary channel number like 6 instead of E1.

I have the same TV, Sky+ and an HS2.

When you switch on your Sky+ box, does it automatically switch to E1 - you should see this on the right hand side of your TV display? If it doesn't, can you go into your Sky+ box Services, System set up, Picture Settings, and check the following;
    Picture Format : 16:9
    Scart Control : On
    Video Output : RGB

After this connect as follows with scart leads that are fully wired;

Sky+ TV out ---> HS2 AV2
    HS2 AV1 to Ext 1 on the TV

Leave out the RF lead for the moment.

Now go into the set up menu of the HS2 and look for "Connection"

TV Aspect - Wide
    TV System - Pal
    AV1/AV2 Settings - AV1 output - RGB
    AV2 Input - RGB
    AV2 Connection - Normal

When you switch on your Sky+ box, your TV should automatically switch to E1. When you turn on your HS2 it should automatically switch to E1 as well. However if it doesn't can you select E1 by using the "0" button on your remote - each press will cycle through E1, E2, E3, E4 - make sure you are on E1.

If we can get this to work, I can then explain the RF connection and an S-Video connection from your Sky+ box to the TV.

7. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm....

You hould definately only use a Scart lead to connect Sky+ with the HS2. That way, you can record pictures at RGB quality into the HS2 and achieve the best results.

I don't have any RF leads involved in my set-up. Don't use any terrestrial signals these days....

If you had an RF Lead going from Sky+ to HS2 and then onto the TV, that could be causing the interference if both the HS2 & TV were trying to tune the RF signal on similar channel frequencies....

If you want to keep any form of RF Lead in your set-up, someone should be better placed to advise best way of doing this to prevent any interference...

With my set-up, I can switch between an RGB signal and a standard Composite one (via the Scart Switchbox - cheap from Argos). Under RGB, the Sky's search banner does indeed appear moe fuzzy, but the overall picture quality is a little better than Composite. Not as good at it should be, but that will have to wait until I get a better switchbox & Scart cables....

8. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TraceyJ - couple of pieces of information that should help you (my apologies if you already know this !)

SCART LEADS : most scart leads are not connected fully at both ends. That is : although there are 21 pins on both plugs, all 21 aren't always connected. You need to buy (more expensive) scart cables that are definitely full-21-pin connections.

RGB/S-Video/Composite : Think of it like this (it's an analogy, not technically correct). Video has a lot of information in it (millions of colours). To put all that information down a single wire is tricky - so the quality suffers. This is known as 'composite' and it's the default connection for most consumer AV hardware.
    Next step up separates out pieces of video information and puts it across two wires. This is known as 's-video'. [personally I've had a lot of problems getting hardware to play-fair with s-video, often getting black & white pictures].
    The best method of moving video signals between equipment is to use RGB (you've probably guessed that it stands for Red Green Blue). This gives you the best possible video quality as the video information is carried across 3 independent wires.

On scart cables the audio is also carried (on separate cables). Without scart you'd have several individual wires going between your AV hardware.

RF Leads : those co-axial (TV aerial cable) connections are the worst possible way to connect your vcr/dvd/sky+/dvd-r to your tv (and any other interconnection between those pieces of hardware). The audio and video is converted to a type of radio signal and basically looks awful (when compared to RGB) - the sound won't even be in stereo.
    The only reason you'll want to use RF is to connect cable tv or tv aerial to your HS2 (or vcr, or tv). If you only watch TV via your Sky+ system I see no reason for having RF cables at all.

Assumptions I used to make (until I learned ...the hard way) :
    not all scart cables are created equally - not only do you need all 21-pins connected but you need to be sure that there's no defect in the cable or the plugs (only way to know for sure is to use a process of elimination as described by the other posters). Quality interconnects are worth the money.

not all scart sockets function in the same way : what I mean by this is that just because a Sky/Panasonic box has RGB in and out it doesn't mean that RGB is available on all scart sockets; also some scart sockets only provide inputs to the hardware (signals only go in... nothing comes back out of that socket).

A large sheet of paper and some sketching will help you figure it out - there's nothing worse than trying to deal with a rats nest of cables.

Good luck ! (right now I wish I had a HS2 .... having real trouble ordering one)

9. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thank you so much applevenus for taking the time to write all that very useful information :) no, I didn't realise RGB stood for Red Green Blue!!! :blush:

will definitely make sure I get decent 21 pin scart leads, will then try to set up the system without the RF lead!

thanks again :)

Tracey

10. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my pleasure - let us know how you get on.

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-video often comes out in B&W because most tv's accept composite through the same Scart.Usually pressing a button twice instead of once sorts this,each press takes the socket through the cycle of available inputs.Non s-video material will be B&W on an s-video setting,and s-video material will be B&W on a non s-video setting.
    The RF lead is not needed with the HS2 (except to set the time from an analogue channel)so if it interferes,removing the HS2 entirely from the RF loop should sort it.

12. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm going to order one of these myself very soon - where/what problems are you having? I have heard that it is a discontinued model but have spoken to two "Shop@Panasonic" shops and they have said it is definitely not due for replacement:confused:

13. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    on my way to get new scarts today, just wondering if I've interpreted all the information here correctly and if I buy a full 21 pin scart to go from the Sky+ to the HS2, it'll carry the picture that is missing at the moment (that is only there if I use the RF lead)???

noticed that the scart lead itself from the sky+ to tv is thicker than the other scarts I have - presumably this came with the sky+ and is a full 21 pin scart already?

with the full 21 pin scart will I also get stereo sound?

can't wait to transfer the things from Sky+ as I only have 2% remaining!!

thanks again
    Tracey

ps good luck getting your HS2 applevenus :)

14. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes it should providing you have Sky+ set to output RGB and AV1 on the HS2 set to output RGB and AV2 pn the HS2 set to input RGB.

Fairly likely, although I do have RGB wired scarts that are not as thick as others.

Last thing - please make sure that you are using Ext 1 ( labelled E1 on the display on your TV ). My apologies if I am telling you something you already know but I just wondered if you might have been using a channel number like 6 when you said that the picture was no longer there without the scart lead.

15. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I bought my HS2 from BE Direct, which was the only (cheap) place that I could find that had an R2 model in stock (I have three other MR DVD players, and was also a llittle wary of the light/dark picture transitions with which some have reported problems (these seemed to be common to MR machines)). I paid £529 - dearer than the likes of RGB Direct and PRC Direct, but neither of these had R2 stock - both informed me that all of their HS2's get modded as soon as they arive, as there's virtually no demand for the R2 versions. I ordered on a Friday, and it was delivered (free) on the following Wednesday. Had a polite confirmation phone call from BE - I also checked that they had stock prior to ordering, and they said they had 'loads'. Good service.

Very happy with it. I only wish my Sky+ was as reliable...

Mark

16. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problem I'm having is getting somewhere that will ship to Ireland.
    I thought I had ordered one on Friday but despite making 6 phone calls to get confirmation no-one seems to be able to confirm if I've actually bought it !

I need to find a site that will ship outside the UK - most of the sites thrown up by kelkoo and pricegrabber don't ship outside the UK.

17. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have now bought 2 new scart leads and connected then :) pictures look good but haven't had a chance to have a proper play though as the tv is in use :rolleyes: did have a quick look at the audio though and noticed it still said mono - is that right or should it be picking up stereo sound through the HS2 now?

thank you as always!
    Tracey

18. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The TV will only show an indication for Nicam stereo which is apparent on your terrestial channels. The HS2 and Sky+ box will be outputting stereo, just not Nicam.

19. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jem, when I press the audio button on the HS2 remote it brings up a box at the top right of the screen which says Mono - does that mean it's coming through the HS2 in mono sound (and therefore everything I'll be recording will be mono?)

thanks
    Tracey

20. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tracey,

It depends what you have tuned into. For example Channels 1 - 5 ( terrestial channels ) will be received in Nicam stereo and if you have selected channels 1- 5 on the HS2, pressing Audio will show Nicam. Of course this depends on whether or not you have connected your RF lead yet?

Sky+ does transmit in stereo, but not Nicam stereo so it won't display this. However it is stereo that comes down your scart cable - 2 of the pins carry left and right audio - and that's what will be recorded.

Do you plan to connect the RF lead and will you be wanting to watch Sky whilst recording from the terrestial channels?

Janice

21. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Janice, I was trying to leave the RF lead out after reading that I didn't need to use it but when I leave it out I don't get any picture coming through the HS2.

I don't need to be able to record terrestrial channels because I doubt I'll ever need to record more than 2 programmes at once which I can do with sky+. I was hoping to be able to record the programmes from sky+ to the HS2 with stereo sound (maybe I'm just confused about what I'm expecting to be able to do though!)

My system is currently connected as follows:-

sky+ TV output -> AV2 socket on HS2
    AV1 on HS2 -> TV's RGB scart (Ext 1)
    Sky+ video output -> TV (Ext 2)

AV1 output on HS2 set to RGB
    AV2 output on HS2 set to RGB
    AV2 connection set to Ext Link 2

As I can't get a picture without the RF lead, I've connected it as follows:-

RF lead out on satellite
    RF in DVD
    aerial directly to tv (just in case!)

Does no-one else have an RF lead connected? I presume from the fact that I don't have a picture when this lead is removed that the scart sockets aren't carrying what they should be?

I'm trying to get the sound right as they're mainly music programmes I'm recording.

Thanks again for your help
    Tracey

22. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For some reason, I seemed to miss this post of yours Janice :blush: Will read now :)

23. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tracey,

Was just about to reply to you when I noticed your update.

You have one part wrong here

AV2 connection should be set to Normal

Once you've changed this, make sure you choose E1 from your remote - press the "0" button until you see E1.

You will also be better using the S-Video output from Sky into your TV but I'll explain that in a minute.

24. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    woohoo, a result (I think!!) or at least it was until I saw your latest post, hehehe! I thought it might have been the link between the Sky and TV as I realised no-one had mentioned that so I left it out - not sure now though as you've now mentioned a connection between these two!!

Have changed AV connection to Normal (also changed the 16:9 on Sky+ and TV aspect on HS2!)

Looking forward to the S-Video information - I do at least have a decent one of those that I could 'borrow' from somewhere else to give it a try!

25. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you mean the Sky+ VCR out to TV?

If so, no it's not absolutely necessary except in certain circumstances which are

1. If you want to watch Sky whilst the HS2 is recording terrestial channels - I know you said that you didn't think you would need this.

2. If you are dubbing from HDD to DVD-Ram or DVD-R and want to watch Sky.

If you want to do either of these then tell me and I'll explain the connections. If you don't then forget about them - they are not needed.

:clap: So you are now watching Sky and the HS2 in RGB via E1? Congratulations.

As for sound it IS stereo that you are recording. Perhaps the easiest way of checking is to record something from Sky+ - select AV2 manually on the HS2 and then record a few minutes. Play it back and press your audio button - it should show PLAY and LR on your display.

26. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I did mean SKy+ VCR out to TV. I guess I may need to know about the connections as I can see that I will be dubbing to DVD-R probably whilst watching Sky at some point. There's no hurry though, you've done enough to help me for now!!

with grateful thanks to you, would not have been able to do it otherwise, was going round in circles!!

Thank you also for confirming the sound is stereo, have done the test you suggested :)

phew, guess I'd better find out exactly what I can do with the HS2 now that it is finally set up correctly!! can see myself spending many a happy hour here ;)

you guys have all been so helpful :) must get on with trying to think about Christmas now!!
    Tracey x

27. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No problem - glad to help. Might as well tell you the connections now.

RF lead as you suggested if you want it.

The S-Video lead is the most important as S-Video is better than composite.

From Sky+ to Ext 3 on your TV - you need to use a lead which has an S-Video with left and right audio on one end and a scart socket on the other.

Once connected press menu on your TV remote - choose Ext Setting. Use the arrow buttons to highlight Ext 3 and then press the yellow button to make it S-Video. You'll then see an S next to the little picture of a scart socket. When you watch Sky+ this way you will need to manually select E3 from the remote - or at least it will now be called S3 - as it won't automatically switch to this. The S-Video socket does not carry the auto switching signal unlike the scart lead.

28. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the fact that she received no picture when RF was disconnected not show that she was watching HS2 via RF.Yuck

29. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I suggested this earlier but it seems she missed my post until this evening.

30. TraceyJ

TraceyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It did indeed :blush: I knew there had to be a better way of connecting everything!!! Thank goodness Jem (and everyone else who answered my call for help!) helped me find it :)