1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused, RE Prog PAL DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapper, Dec 2, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I am becoeming terribly confused...

I am looking at buying a PRog PAL Player to use with my new MXE Plasma screen.

Currently the two makes to go for are either the Denon (3800) or the ARCAM (DV88plus)

Having read through some of the threads here however both have their pros and cons....

No Chroma bug?!?!?!
    But problems with other aspects of laser and firmware!
    poor user support
    Product short supply

DV88plus

Chroma Bug
    Good Product support

Is this, in a very succint form the pros and cons of these two players, or have I missed soem other points, reading through some of the (long) threads?

Im terrribly confused as to which model to go for

AARrrggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Adrian

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Adrian,

I see you live in Enfield (where long ago I went to school).

If you pop round to Audio T in Chase Side they have got the DV88 Plus in stock and on demonstration. You can even say I sent you in there - they probably won't throw you out :)

And the DV88 Plus does not suffer heavily from chroma upsampling errors - as you will see from other posters here. Remember, there are literally hundreds of things that can make a good or bad player and that is only one of them. After it has been warmed up try the 88 Plus on CD audio too, using the analogue outputs - I'll wager it will give your present CDP a good run for its money.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Audio T

I have been there a few times...

Maggie is a delightful manager, and patient.

Unfortunately the last tiem I was there, I ended up with Audiolabs, and not the Arcam 8P/9P products, some 6 years ago now Id guess

The Chroma bug, how bad is it on the 88plus??

Need to see it Im sure but

Adrian

4. hawkeye

hawkeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 88+. am really pleased with it.
    cant say i've noticed the croma bug, and i'm quite picky with my AV !

5. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No chroma bug, PS PAL and NTSC with a simple remote hack, it plays both SACD and MP3, good spec:s and a nice price. Just a thought.

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

HI,

Just doen a quick web search on this player, and dont seem to be able to find much info about it....

Can ayone help?
    :eek:

Just done a search in here on this player...

Sounds impressive, a lot of features for not a lot of dosh; very tempting to order one from Euroupe, rather reasonably priced.

MMMMm

Adrian

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Is the "chroma bug" the most overblown problem, that most people wouldn't notice anyway?

I would go for overall picture and sound quality, rather than worrying about a problem you may never notice (unless you specifically look for it).

Go for a demo at your local dealer, with your favourite DVDs and see what you think.

StooMonster

8. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    More about the new Philips 963: Philips 963 thread on AVSforum (It's Loooong, but it's all you need to know)

StooMonster: I'm not saying that you're wrong, but if all you need is a good DVD player then there's a bunch of them around 150-300 Euro.

If you're interested in an Arcam DV88+ or Denon 3800 you're probably a little more concerned about getting top notch performance. A player with the chroma bug can still be good, but a bug is a bug...and it's quite easy to spot once you,ve seen it.

More about the Chroma Upsampling Error and progressive scan

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    We've all seen it by pausing Toy Story logo before, but how about in "real life" e.g. actually watching a movie (very rarely, if at all).

What I am saying is that it's not really that important compared to other factors; certainly it should not be the only factor to consider when buying a player.

Would you rather have generally better picture and sound (with chroma bug) versus one with poorer picture and sound (with no chroma bug)?

StooMonster

10. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's the same with layer changes.Some people cannot get over the 1 or 2 second change,and almost suggest it is spoiling their enjoyment.I bet when they meet the almighty they will have a very long list of complaints,and keep the rest in the queue hanging around forever.;)

11. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd rather have generally better picture and sound without the chroma bug. Philips 963 offers that! The predecessor 962 have gotten rave reviews about the the sound quality in Hifi World. The early "first looks" and reviews indicates that the new 963 is just as good.

I actually don't think that the chroma bug is such a big issue!

But what is "better picture an sound"? The DVD-players of today offers great PQ, I don't think that people who doesn't notice the chroma bug would spot the difference between a Toshiba 220E and an expensive Meridian DVD-player either.

I would say that it's very hard to show the differences in PQ in screenshots, but it's quite easy to take a picture of the chroma bug.

:)