1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused - Plasma vs Rear Projector

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Clarityman, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Clarityman

Clarityman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I've been having loads of conflicting opinions from people since announcing I was going to set up a home cinema system in my newly refurbished house. Basically I can't seem to get reliable info on Plasma vs Rear DLP projector . I would like at least 42 inch , and I like the look of the bigger screen rear projector sets. What is the opionion on these please?

Also on a rear projector , am I correct in assuming I should have the scree away from the window of my room?

Many thanks

clarityman

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Clarityman,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think the reason you're getting conflicting advice is probably because, having spent £3000+, people with Plasmas or DLP RP will tend to support their own preference.

As the owner of neither, I can only advise that ANY type of domestic display should not be positioned where direct sunlight can fall on it.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RP will give you a larger screen for the money, 50" or perhaps even 60" but take up more room. Plasma 42" is as big as you will get, What about front projection? Infocus Screenplay 5700 is £2700 and plenty of others around at that money!, Also you cant beat the proper cinematic feel of a Projector!

4. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fair point, me included. As ever, the only way to decide is to look at a few options.

Personally, my choice (just made) is a DLP RP from Sim2. I though these had a better picture than any of the Plasmas I saw, of which I had a strong preference for Panasonic. I would have bought a Panasonic plasma (panel rather than integrated set) if I hadn't seen the Sim2 sets. Well set-up, either the DLP or a good plasma will look excellent.

Also, I'd encourage you to check out a screen of 50" or bigger if budget allows; it's quite a different experience in my opinion, even from relatively modest viewing distances (around 8ft in my case). As someone described it to me, the 42" is like watching a big TV, where 50" is more like a small cinema screen. I was absolutely amazed at how big a difference there was, as I'd decided that 50" would be too big for my room.

I hope I've kept any bias fairly well in check.

Paul

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I vote RPTV. Simply the best considering how much cheaper they are than plasmas. I'm not going to comment on the quality differences since i have only owned a RPTV but to be honest the quality of some RPTVs are as good as its gona get.

6. Clarityman

Clarityman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies all, very helpful. Interesting point about front projection - silly question but I assume I can play my satellite receiver through it too? One more point on DLP RPTV, there aren't many models available in UK at the moment, any recommendations?

thanks

7. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Technically, I don't see any reason why not. I'm not sure that you'll get a great picture, though; front projection screen size seems like a stretch for Sky's picture quality. I don't have a projector, though, so perhaps some of those that do could comment?

The "budget" choice seems to be the Sagem Axium (around £3k, if that's even remotely inexpensive). If you're spending more, then consider Loewe or Sim2 (£4.5k+ depending on size). From what I've read from a US forum (avsforum), expect more models to come onto the market to compete with the Sagem, but not that will necessarily compete with the other two for quality. You might have to go out of your way to see the Sim2 or Loewe, some Comet stores have the Sagem. All of them have had positive reviews. Think carefully about what inputs you want, too, as the different models vary widely in this respect.

Good luck in deciding what to buy.

Paul

8. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just a further thought; if you're strongly considering front projection, you might also want to post in some of the other forums regarding Sky quality.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    You can run sat through a PJ no problem, connection is more complex but not hugely. and i think a 6-7 foot wide image is more impressive than 50" TV.....
    Consider Infocus 5700 sim 2 domino etc etc etc pop by the PJ forum lots lots more info!

10. Clarityman

Clarityman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the helpful replies

11. Clarityman

Clarityman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: