Confused over which LCD? 1080P

S

sparkiUK

I really need some advice, the more i read this forum the more confused i get, so any help would be appreciated. Here's where I'm at. I currently have a Sony 32" CRT, and want to upgrade to a 40/42" plasma or LCD. Not sure which. I watch regular Sky + but will get SKY HD in the coming months, and i also play XBOX 360. Don't watch many DVD's but just have a regular DVD player. I sit no more than 9feet away from the screen.

So I looked at the Samsung LE40M86BD and loved the picture, screen etc but wasn't impressed by watching regular Sky programming (non HD), all looked blotchy, though better than the other LCD's i looked at. though to be fair the Sky box did have a poor signal and was connected just to the Samsung LCD and not split. So moving towards Plasma because of this and plasma ability to process fast moving action, i watch a lot of football. So whatever i buy needs a good SD picture comppared to my current Sony CRT.

I'm looking at 1080p mainly due to the Xbox 360, but realise there is a premium price to pay for this, baring in mind that the xbox is the only input i have at 1080p, Sky HD is 1080i i gather. Is 1080p worth the extra and if so, should i go for a proper 1920 x 1080 resolution. Do you notice the difference?

So confused as to what to look at. Budget is no more than £1000. So 1080p or not, if so which lcd do you advise, if not, which lcd? Or Plasma?

Thanks guys, advice would be really appreciated.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Plasma will give a better picture on SD, the native res of most of them is 1024 x 768 which simply introduces far less artifacts into SD broadcasts than anything a full 1080p LCD will do...

I personally don't notice the difference between 720p and 1080p until you're really close to it and as such don't get too cut up with Full 1080p unless you're ONLY watching HD content (which you're clearly not)

From having spent a lot of time looking at various units the best 1080p LCD for me in your budget is the Sony 40W2000, you'll have to take a look yourself as to if it'll do the job properly.... failing that something like the Panasonic TH-42PX70 Plasma may be affordable and whilst it may not have quite the highest spec it's still excellent on HD content.

ChrisGgr

I would suggest you some things:
1)Panasonic 42PX70 would be the ideal tv,but the xbox360 will burn your tv!!So LCD
2)At LCD to have good SD performance you must buy an 720p 100Hz.One is the Sony KDL-40D3000
3)In a month 40V3000 comes and will be much better than W2000.It will cost around 1.000£-1.100£ max price.

S

sparkiUK

Thanks, though that means a different TV for each answer. LCD for Xbox, 720p for SD viewing, but 1080p for Xbox playing. mmmm

ChrisGgr

If you have enough money you can get the Sony KDL-40X3500 which is 100Hz and 1080p!!!This is the perfect combination!!!

djt111

the 1080p sony that is out now, only does 1080p via HDMI so if you have a 360 with comp then it will only do 720p, i was all set to get to get this set till i found this out :thumbsdow

your best bet will be to wait a couple of months if you can!
or just get a 100hz 720p set now, as i dont think the current 1080p sets are worth it if your going to be using it for non HD stuff.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I'm not convinced on the disregard the Panasonic because of the Xbox... a lot of reviews suggest it doesn't suffer screen burn/image retention anything like as bad as early Plasmas do...

yesteryeargames

so does anyone have a 360 and the samsung? is it any good with 1080p? can it handle 1080p via component too?

im also very interested to know what its liek on Wii 480p?

pics would be ace showing some games and the tv :)?:)?

thanks

S

sparkiUK

The xbox i got is the elite and comes with HDMI cable, so am i right in assuming that both the panasonic and samsung can make best use of this signal, which should be 1080p?

scottash

Standard Member
i am also confused as to which 1080p to buy. i have currently a hitatchi 32" 720p/1080i but am looking to upgrade because its too small for my living room. i was looking at the sharp aquos 42" but have kind of gone of it due to the fact that it is 140 mm :eek: in depth and dont really want it sticking out that far from my wall. so was kind of going for the samsung LE40M87BDX. good choice??

davejm

I've just bought the 37" M87/86 and I'm really surprised at how decent Sky looks through RGB now that I've fiddled with the settings - and I sit quite close to the screen (5/6 feet). I watch a lot of football, and motion blurring doesn't seem to be a problem, and overall I'm quite impressed. There really is a massive difference in the picture quality of SD sources if you spend some time figuring out all the settings and finding ones that work.

The 360 looks simply awesome, and I can get 1080p through component or VGA. It's given my 360 games a whole new lease of life.

The Sony seems to be regarded as the best 40" set at the moment, but you can't go wrong with either really. I guess it depends what kinda deals you can find.

Hope this helps.

yesteryeargames

can get the samsung for £100 cheaper, would you say the samsung is more up to date tech than the sony? can this do 1080p with hdmi then too?

would love to know anyones opinions on the wii via 480p with component on this?

S

sparkiUK

Well an update. Went in to John Lewis today to see the panasonic. Have to say through their Sky HD box, split between 3 TV's on HDMI the normal SD picture wasn't that great, in fact the 32" panasonic LCD next to it was far better. Confused before, even worse now. The LCD was smaller though so maybe that had something to do with it, resolution being 1366 x 768 so how that would compare with the Samsung at 1920 x 1080. Thought i'd made my mind up but now not so sure.

S

sparkiUK

Dave, what's the picture like on Sky SD signal. That's what I'm mainly concerned about.

davejm

It's fine, it really is. It took me a while of fiddling with the settings to get it that way, but I sit quite close to the screen and I'm really happy with how it looks - even the football.

Basically, every reservation I had about the shortcomings of LCD are nowhere near as bad as I thought, and they process SD sources such as Sky a lot better than I was expecting.

Technically speaking, a higher resolution and larger panel has to do more upscaling when it processes a lower resolution image, so it's natural that the 32" panel would have looked better up close - especially with 'shop' default settings.

The idea is that you'd sit further away from a larger panel, so you'd not notice the processing/artifacting as much - but I sit only 6 feet away from my 37" and I've managed to get a really good picture with Sky. DVD looks awesome, and HD stuff really is incredible.

yesteryeargames, I'm not sure on the specs of the Sony, but I'm sure they'd both do 1080p through HDMI. Regarding the Wii, I think people are struggling getting the Wii to look good on any HD sets, but both the Samsung and Sony are decent sets that will handle the image as well as any.

gzed

Standard Member
I've just bought the 37" M87/86 and I'm really surprised at how decent Sky looks through RGB now that I've fiddled with the settings - and I sit quite close to the screen (5/6 feet). I watch a lot of football, and motion blurring doesn't seem to be a problem, and overall I'm quite impressed. There really is a massive difference in the picture quality of SD sources if you spend some time figuring out all the settings and finding ones that work.

The 360 looks simply awesome, and I can get 1080p through component or VGA. It's given my 360 games a whole new lease of life.

The Sony seems to be regarded as the best 40" set at the moment, but you can't go wrong with either really. I guess it depends what kinda deals you can find.

Hope this helps.

Hi Davejm,

I'm very much interested in the M8 series and hesitating between the 37 and 40" version. Have you managed to visually compared the 2 models (37" without the superclear Panel and contrast of 8000:1 and 40" with superclear panel and 15000:1)? I don't think i'm really bothered about the super clear stuff (although some claim it reflects a lot) but the higher contrast ratio of the 40" is really attractive.

davejm

I've seen a 46" in action, and the super clear panel does look nice and give better blacks. I'm not sure how much the panel actually reflects, as the TV had it's back to the window.

That said, I'm happy that the 37" version was a matt panel, as reflection would be a problem in my living room so I'm glad I don't have to deal with the possibility of that. Overall, I think if you can stretch your budget to the 40" and reflection isn't an issue, then I'd go for that one.

gzed

Standard Member
I've seen a 46" in action, and the super clear panel does look nice and give better blacks. I'm not sure how much the panel actually reflects, as the TV had it's back to the window.

That said, I'm happy that the 37" version was a matt panel, as reflection would be a problem in my living room so I'm glad I don't have to deal with the possibility of that. Overall, I think if you can stretch your budget to the 40" and reflection isn't an issue, then I'd go for that one.

My TV would be perpendicular to a window, so the super clear panel might or might not create reflection. Will probably never know unless fitted in my living room.
But I think the 37" would be better suited to the TV-sofa distance (~2m) and my budget. Since you mentioned the £764 price tag for the 37" with 3years warranty that's a £150-200 cheaper (on average) than the 40" version. I'd rather use this saving for a decent bench.

IanSimmons

Philips have always been strong on SD, and there are some new 1080p models coming out at end of August (37 or 42PFL9632D and 42PFL9732D - the former is already on the website, I think). These are both full HD as well and have Perfect Pixel HD, Clear LCD and 100Hz. The blurb says that the processing tries to make individual pixels look more like their neighbouring pixels to try to compensate for lower resolutions. :confused: No idea yet how good they are but worth bearing in mind.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom