1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused over sky+ deal.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by briandzo, Oct 5, 2003.

1. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The add says if you subscribe to more than 1 premium channel the sky+ sub is free. AGREED

then why is it when i phoned in the operator said i had to subscribe to the wholw lot to get the free deal. £38 month.

taken from their site

Free Sky+ subscription terms and conditions: From 1st October 2003 you can benefit from a FREE Sky+ subscription if you have a Sky digital subscription for your Sky+ box to a package that includes more than one Sky premium channel (excluding bonus or other free channels), i.e. package options 1A-6K inclusive in the Sky digital subscription contract. Sky premium channels are Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Movies Premier and Sky Movies Max. If you end your digital subscription contract or change to a package that does not qualify for free Sky+ subscription you will be charged the then applicable charge for your Sky+ subscription. Standard Sky+ subscription terms and conditions apply.

As i dont want the sports channels, according to the above i could have sky premier and sky movies max as my 2 premium channels...

any comments all am i missing something here.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You are correct, at this time SKY Premier and Moviemax are considered to be two seperate premium channels and therefore qualify for the waived SKY+ fee.
    The CS rep was wrong, either through ignorance or just p*** poor at his/her job.
    Ring again, talk to another one. At least you always get through quickly when you want to spend money with them:)

3. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply starburst. ill give them a ring later.

as a second question.

im considering taking up the relocation offer of the existing box.
    although what i want to achieve is digiTV in the bedroom
    so if i get sky to reinstall my box and take the extra sub for one year @£120 and then cancel it and get a nominal viewing card. (as im only interested in standard channels in the bedroom)

would this work out cheaper than fitting an extra LNB and running the cable myself. its quite a long cable run from dish to bedroom. Am i right in thinking that they will have to fit a 3 output LNB to the existing dish. it seems an economical way to have them do all the installing.

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Briandzo

I already had SKY+ and the family pack - no movies and no sports channels.

I was able to ADD the movie channels for £4.50 extra.

i.e. adding movies meant I had 2 premium channels and therefore SKY+ subscription is now free rather than £10 per month.

Sooooo, you definitely don't need sports channels to get free SKY+ if you have the movie channels...

I am using my old digibox in my movie-room with the SKY+ box in a newly built lounge. When you get SKY+ you get a quad-LNB (you could run 2 SKY+ boxes from the one dish). I got an electrician to run twin coax from the existing dish to the new lounge and a phone line. By the time I'd paid materials, labour an VAT it cost over £100 but he did a neater job than SKY did. SKY will resist cable runs that are not easy (i.e. outside the house).

Gary

Gary

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As Gary says the SKY+ comes with a Quad LNB so all you would have to do is run a third cable from the LNB to the bedroom, SKY can do this for a price, the installer may do this himself for a few quid or you can do it yourself:)
    If you take the £10 a month mirror sub both the SKY+ and digibox have to be connected to the same phone line, if you are only interested in the basic channels for the bedroom are you a good coverage are for Freeview?

6. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for replys

As it seems their need to fit a quad LNB in the plus upgrade,
    i think ill have some spare readys available on the day and offer the sky installer a tempter to run an extra cable in.

Gary, i currently have family pack and sky premiere. does this mean ill have to add sky movies max to qualify for the new deal.
    This is my current understanding anyway.

7. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mr Palmer - how did you manage to wangle the movies for £4.50 extra? They give me the standard quote of £33 every time I talk to them. Have been with them since sky digital started, but could never justify (afford) that much for all channels.