1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused over distribution

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Astaroth, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    OK - sorry if I get the gender of the sockets the wrong way round but to try and prevent confusion in others I believe I am correct in thinking the normal socket for the TV arial is female on both the TV & the wall plate - (ie you have a connection with a male end on both ends)

Moved into a new property - in the lounge there is a plate with a total of 5 connections:

1) F-connecter marked Sat 1
    2) F-connecter marked Sat 2/Return
    3) Female socket marked Radio
    4) Male connector marked TV
    5) Female Connector - no label

Given the above I assumed that I needed to connect the TV arial cable from socket (5) into the back of my TV as this would give the 'correct'/normal alighment on gender on the cable (ie both the same) and that socket (4) would be to distribute the output from the likes of Sky arround the property. I duely connected my sky box (works fine in digital) in this manner and got VERY poor picture on both my lounge set (watching analogue) and the other sockets (bedroom/ kitchen/ dinning room - i dont have this many TVs but just tested all the sockets).

I therefore tested switching my connections in sockets (4) & (5) - which results in a female to male cable being used to connect the TV to the ariel and this gave a perfect analogue picture in the Lounge but still a very poor picture in the other rooms.

Anyone have any idea what socket (5) is then? Why do I get such poor picture in the other rooms? It is newly built block of flats with shared dish etc for your information.

The other quandery which may or may not be related.... in the store cupboard there is a gray plastic box mounted on the wall with a small circular grill and a blue light shining out of it. On one side there is a single black mid thickness cable going in and 4 equal sized cables going in on the other side. There is a fuse switch directly underneath which turns the blue light on and off but doesnt seem to do anything else which I can see in the property - seems a lot of cables for a small blue light.

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    OK,

Here we go,

Hold on tight! :D

Working backwards I would say that your grey box in the cupboard is a tv amp which will be doing the distribution around the rest of the flat. This should be left on as it will amplify the recevied signals and pass them to the rooms. It should also be powering any little sky eyes that you install.

Back to the outlets.

I would make an eduacted guess that the two f type connectors are for Sky and your second sky plus connection.

The TV connections on the wall are normally MALE and FM are FEMALE. This is why swapping you initial connections around produced a good tv picture at the main tv.

OK onto the distribution.

First question,

Does your tv feed from the wall pass to the sky box first and then onto the TV via the RF1 output? and then have a link between the sky box and tv with a scart?

This is how the sky box then gets the rest of the off air (analogue) channels to distribute around the rest of the flat.

The RF2 output from the Sky box should then be connected to point 5 that you list and (i am guessing a little) should feed the grey amp box in the cupboard.

Does that help? :smashin: / :thumbsdow

Oh, you also need to look at the TV channel that the sky box is using and make sure it is not conflicting with the other ananlogue channels.

Chris

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Many thanks for your reply.

I havent had a change to review the gender of the sockets again but the point I was trying to get across was that the wall socket which gives the good picture is the opposite gender to the arial sockets I have had in my last 6 properties (I move arround alot)

However at present I have cable from socket (4) into my sky box arial in. Arial lead from RF1 into my TV and lead from RF2 into the wall socket (5) - I then have s.video into my AVR etc.

This results in anlogue signal on the main TV being very good and the signal in the bedroom being the same as when no arial at all is connected.

I assumed that (5) was a distribution socket but if it wasnt I would have thought that the other rooms sockets would be connected to the arial (via some form of amp/distributer gizmo)

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I would agree with you.

Do you know that your RF2 output is switched on? If you swap the RF1 and RF2 over do you still get a good analogue picture on the local tv?

Chris