1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused over component connection

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by James M, Jan 10, 2005.

1. James M

James M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm new to this so I apologise for the stupid questions.

I understand that the best way to connect my Toshiba SD-240 to my Panasonic PD30 is via the component connection but I can't see how I would get sound from the DVD to the tv as there isn't a sound input on the back of the PD30.

Also how much of an improvement is it over a scart connection?

2. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not a stupid Q James, a mate of mine just e-mailed me with the exact same problem!

I believe that you've got 4 scarts on the back of your telly with your component input labelled AV4C ?

If so then I believe that you need to hook up your DVD player's Audio L/R out to the AV4 scart socket via an RCA to Scart lead. Your TV should then take the video from the component input and the audio from the scart socket.

Not having a component capable TV myself (jealous!), I can't comment on improvement, but EVERYONE I've heard that does says it's significant.

Cheers,
    Steve.

3. James M

James M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Steve

Will it be able to take video from one input and sound from another one at the same time though?

4. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Should be able to as they are both the same logical input (AV4).

If you don't want to risk buying the cable straight away, you can test it buy hooking up a Sky/Freeview/VCR box or something to AV4 via scart. Then play the DVD over component and tune-in/play the Sky/Freeview/VCR and see if you can see the DVD while hearing the other one.

Usually with a component input you get a couple of RCA/Phono inputs for Audio L/R as well, but Panasonic seem not to favour this.

Cheers,
    Steve.