Confused! Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha...

GarethG

Established Member
Reaction score
I am buying Monitor Audio Radius 225 x5 and need a new AV receiver to go with it.

Budget around £400 -£650

Don't want to go higher than speakers justify.

Was thinking of Onkyo 705 due to reviews of range and the auto set up

Any thoughts? Going to audition tomorrow so wanted to narrow it down and decide on budget.

Cheers

Sounds a reasonable choice to me :smashin:

Convince them that you're going to walk out with an amp (hopefully you intend too) and there may be a chance they'll swap amps for you, it depends on the retailer.
But the thought of definite pound notes usually makes them open to doing a bit of work :D

Sounds a reasonable choice to me :smashin:

Convince them that you're going to walk out with an amp (hopefully you intend too) and there may be a chance they'll swap amps for you, it depends on the retailer.
But the thought of definite pound notes usually makes them open to doing a bit of work :D

Come on, you worked hard at choosing my sub over the last few days -which model is good enough to get the best out of these speakers but not overkill (am guessing some amp are only worth getting for fullsize speaker set up?)
No idea where in Denon or Yamaha or Marantz ranges I should look

So you've decided on a sub eh? News to me :D
I can't keep up, my mail is hours delayed :mad:

I can't help you in the same way as I did with a sub, as I haven't heard any of the new ones.

All I would say is that amps are not night and day like subs. It's all about personal preference, if you can actually hear a difference, that is.
My cloth ears tell me I can, but it's extremely subtle, IMO.

I like Denon, I think Yam is slightly warmer :)smashin:) and Pio slightly brighter :)thumbsdow).
But that's just me.

(am guessing some amp are only worth getting for fullsize speaker set up?)

No, IMO.
Generally the more you pay, the better the power and power supply. More power gives better sound, simple. You should be looking at power into the amp rather than figures quoted. The Onkyo 605 (and I don't have a downer on it, it's well rated on these forums) gives misleading figures in it's specs, for instance.
Me, I've gone for the Denon AVC-1AD, a 4YO amp that gives a genuine 140W per channel, A £2k amp 4 years ago for £250 :rotfl:
What a steal, IMO :smashin:
But not much feature-wise nowadays.

If you can't see past the HDMI 1.3 and HD sound etc, get the Onky, most likely :)

God, I hope this isn't going to be as much hassle as the sub :rotfl:

I'm only joking mate.
If I have an opinion, I'm only too happy to give it, as many people will attest :rolleyes:

The Onkyo 605 (and I don't have a downer on it, it's well rated on these forums) gives misleading figures in it's specs, for instance.
Me, I've gone for the Denon AVC-1AD, a 4YO amp that gives a genuine 140W per channel, A £2k amp 4 years ago for £250 :rotfl:

To be fair i have seen more miss leading figures from denon than i have onkyo. i compared the onkyo 805 to the denon 3808ci and have to say that the onkyo was the better amp. It sounded better and had better features and i even see a review when i purchased the 805 where it compaired it to the 4308ci and it got rated the better amp and that the 805 was infact produceing higher power figures than the 4308ci. But the onkyo 805 does draw 9.5amps compaired to denons 8.1 amps.

So you've decided on a sub eh? News to me :DI can't keep up, my mail is hours delayed :mad:
Well maybr not completely, but after patient help I am quite happy that the list is short and I will be happy with one of those!
I can't help you in the same way as I did with a sub, as I haven't heard any of the new ones.

All I would say is that amps are not night and day like subs. It's all about personal preference, if you can actually hear a difference, that is.
My cloth ears tell me I can, but it's extremely subtle, IMO.

I like Denon, I think Yam is slightly warmer :)smashin:) and Pio slightly brighter :)thumbsdow).
But that's just me.

(am guessing some amp are only worth getting for fullsize speaker set up?)

No, IMO.
Generally the more you pay, the better the power and power supply. More power gives better sound, simple. You should be looking at power into the amp rather than figures quoted. The Onkyo 605 (and I don't have a downer on it, it's well rated on these forums) gives misleading figures in it's specs, for instance.
What a steal, IMO :smashin:
But not much feature-wise nowadays.

If you can't see past the HDMI 1.3 and HD sound etc, get the Onky, most likely :)

God, I hope this isn't going to be as much hassle as the sub :rotfl:

I'm only joking mate.
If I have an opinion, I'm only too happy to give it, as many people will attest :rolleyes:

To be fair i have seen more miss leading figures from denon than i have onkyo. i compared the onkyo 805 to the denon 3808ci and have to say that the onkyo was the better amp. It sounded better and had better features and i even see a review when i purchased the 805 where it compaired it to the 4308ci and it got rated the better amp and that the 805 was infact produceing higher power figures than the 4308ci. But the onkyo 805 does draw 9.5amps compaired to denons 8.1 amps.

That's why I added the "for instance" ;)

They all play a canny game in trying to misguide people, IMO.
At a similar price point, there won't be much in it, IMO. It's either features or quality, on the whole.
I don't doubt your figures at all, I'm talking very simplisticly.
My point was, with the 605, they quote 1 channel driven at 1khz.
Who listens with one channel :confused:

Laughable spec, IMO :thumbsdow
Same as people look at AIOs and think "1200W, it must be good" :mad:

I suspect the 605 is on a par with the Yam 757 of 2 year vintage, sound-wise (vintage :rotfl:, but that's how it seems now).

But I do see where you're coming from :smashin:

With the 805/ 3808/ 4308 argument, I don't know mate.
I'd be tempted to go with the Onky myself, but I don't know anything about the type of amp used in any of them.
Don't get me wrong, I was a ham until 15 years ago, so know all about different types of amplification.
I just can't be bothered anymore.

I'd rather just listen, which was the point to the OP :)

And I'm still not really.
But that's more down to the lack of an adjustable crossover, which has made everything a bit more top endy and THX :thumbsdow I really do think THX is the biggest load of rubbish going, but that's just me.
It's similar to Plasmas. They put all this processing in and the first thing anyone does is make sure it's all turned off :rotfl:
I've got used to the sound for music a bit, but still find it's not quite to my liking.
I do love the extra power at highish volume though.

But that's not to say that Denons are no good.
If my 3803 had the grunt of the AVC, I'd be perfectly happy, I suspect :smashin:

Went for audition today, but I had to cut it short, although sevenoaks were as good as gold, plenty of time and no pressure.

Their recommendation for these speakers was the Marantz 5002 which they are doing for £407.

They reckoned this would match (for these speakers) the Onkyo 705 which they do for £600 (none available to try).

The other alternative they offered was the Yamaha DSP AX 861SE for £524.

Any thoughts on these options?

He didn't think it was worth spending more than these,

and the sub audition..on the other thread!

One thing to consider about the Onkyo is that it runs hot. So, if your equipment is not well ventilated, the Onkyo might be a bad choice. The Denon, Marantz and Yamy run cooler.

or the Yamaha RX-V1800 for £849 -bult he felt the radius 225s may not benefit from the extra £300 over the DSP-AX861SE.

Now seem, internet guides for prices -

Onkyo 605 £400
Onkyo 705 £600

Denon 2308 £450
Denon 2808 £700

Marantz SR5002 £407
Marantz SR7002 £750

Quite a range in prices I know. I don't want to go overboard with something that you won't notice the difference with the radius 225 speakers but the priorities are
1) good impactive movie sound
2) good musically
3) gadgets -its not with gaming and probably max of two HDMI sources plus maybe a set-top box (although think thats probably better bypassing the receiver and going straight to plasma?)

Any thoughts?

I haven't heard any of those amps :rolleyes:

But:

1. they'll all give you that
2. 2808, but more likely the 7002
3. Probably the Denon

I'd be looking higher up the Onky range, TBH; 905 maybe, I really don't know.

I would say though, you can't get too much power, within reason, of course.

cheers
I know people say the answer is in auditioning but thats a problem cos the dealers only seem to have a few each, no-one has all the brands locally.

Also, I have regretted my choices from auditions before -I have a much different opinion when living with the kit for a while so really appreciate others views.

Well, considering the amount of dough you're considering spending, I'd be asking for a loan of the kit, at the very least.

You stick your card over as security and Robert's your relative :smashin:

I've gone for a set up for hifi and AV use to replace a Denon all in one and Marantz/Audiolab/Kef Reference set up.

After lots of auditioning i found the MA set up best so have R225's for the fronts, RSW12 sub and R180's for rears.

Using a Marantz DV7001 for source and SR8002 for receiver duties. Find they are a good match. SR7002 would be my choice if your budget can stretch to it and has all the future proofing you might need.

Thanks.
I have searched but there doesn't seem to be much on here on the Denon 2808 -is there any reason?

Is this any good?

What hifi only gave it 4 stars but was comparing it to the Onkyo 875 -think the price now makes it more comarible with the 705

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom