Confused on what connections to use

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mojolad, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mojolad

mojolad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Just bought my self a Yamaha RXV1700 & Yamaha DVD-S1700. My question is, is there any advantage for me to use all available connections to connect dvd to amp. I only have a Phillips pixelplus crt tv with scart plugs on back. Do i really need to use the HDMI connects. I will also be listening to SACD/DVD-A with dvd player. Hope someone can help im installing in a few days.
    Cheers Mojolad

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Surely it makes life easier having one HDMI cable connected, rather than using 5 analogue cables to get sound? bit confused what you need to know to be honest with you

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    If your TV only has Scart connectors on the back then likely the best it will handle is RGB scart.

Therefore as I don't believe your receiver will downscale from HDMI or Component to S-Video. Therefore if you connect any of your devices via Component or HDMI if you then try to connect it to the TV via S-Video you will get no picture.

You will therefore need to connect your devices either via S-Video or Composite (yellow RCA) or connect your DVD player directly to your TV via Scart and also connect it to the Receiver via Optical or co-axial to output sound.

However if you want SACD/DVD-A via your DVD player you may need to thus connect it to your Receiver either buy HDMI (solely for sound input not video, or via 5.1 RCA phono separates if your DVD player has them on the back.

The reason for this is that most DVD player will not output SACD/DVD-A sound via Optical or Coaxial.

Hope this helps
    Anthony

4. mojolad

mojolad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry first post, should have been clearer. I just didnt know whether i needed to use component, hdmi, optical dig or coax digital. All i know is that for SACD/DVD-A sound i have to use the 5.1 analogue inputs from dvd to amp.