1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused on the Hi Def / UK XBOX thing

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by nickb23, Jan 3, 2003.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Guys,
    I am still confused on the Hi Def cable debate. I have an unchipped uk xbox with xbox live on it. I also have a toshiba 32zd26p tv which has component in and is also progessive scan. Can I at the moment buy a hi def cable and hook up the xbox through the component inputs, even though this hidden menu "bug" in pal 60 is gone. Or do I have to chip the xbox?
    Also when People say that some games do not work, does the screen come up blank? ( I seem to remember a similar thing happening on my pal dreamcast when i played nba 2k through the scart)

Also on the chip tip, what other benefits do i get with a chipped machine. I read all these things about bios and stuff (scares the crap outta me), but all i wanna do is be able to play import games and if possible progressive scan.

Thanks guys.

Nick B

2. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Yes you can hook up through component.
    THis should get you progressive(PS) on certain games that have this feature enabled. Even if not PS you'll still get a picture.

I bought an xbox just before xmas but took it back because limited PS in UK xbox. It'll never display more than 480p.

As for chipping, that would enable full HDTV(subject to TV of course) and allow you to play import games. You dont have to change your bios etc - only if u want to.

Thats my understanding anyway.

John

3. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I remember a while back reading that Microsoft had included an updated version of the dashboard with live that had the option for prog scan taken out because apparently it was a 'bug'.

It might be worth you trying to find the article by searching on google, because if that is the case a modchip may be the only way to get prog scan out of the box now.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    even though a UK Xbox shows 480p in the settings with hi-def pack in, I never found a single game that worked with it and I tried a lot..

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nick,
    Your best bet to play import games is to buy a US Xbox. I know of a guy who gets them for UKP160 inc parcel farce delivery [the Sega/JSRF] box - I can PM you the details if you want.

Regarding Xbox PAL support of 480p.

If you plug a HD module into the xbox it will show up the option to set these modes, however, it was a bug. Its fixed in more recent versions of the Xbox hardware and if you install Xbox live you lose the options to set the modes.

Modding your PAL console is also an option. This will cost you +atleast+ 70 quid though.

However, MS are banning users who connect to Xbox live with modchips enabled permanantly, also several recent Xbox titles have had issues with mod chips, Steel Battalion being one of them. If you do decide to get your console chipped, ensure that they add an on off switch so you can switch the mod off to go online, but remember if you import any US online games you won't be able to play them online! [on of my modded xbox's is banned from xbox live so i know this to be a fact :D]

THe best option really is to get a US xbox. [FWIW I have a US XBox, GCN, DC and PS-2, games are cheaper better quality and you get them sooner]. Metroid Prime on GCN is outstanding.

Regards,
    Neil.