1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused on sub setup on Denon3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ash007, Jul 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I have spkers set to SMALL -crossover set at 80Hz - then according to the
    instructions sound above 80Hz will go to the front spkers and sound below
    80Hz will go to the Sub.

If I have spkers set to LARGE -crossover set at 80Hz - subwoofer mode to LFE
    then it seems sound above 80Hz will go to the front spkers and sound below
    80Hz will go to the Sub.

Isn't that the same?

What is the difference between Large and Small speaker settings if the
    crossover is set to the same?

Cheers,

Chris

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    If the speakers are set to SMALL, all bass to SUB then all the frequencies ABOVE 80hz (or whatever selected crossover) are handled by all your speakers and all frequencies below 80hz are handled by the sub.

If you set any of the channels to LARGE then they will handle full range signals with any remaining channels that are set to SMALL handling 80hz and above. The sub will receive the LFE channel and the bass of those speakers that are set to SMALL.

The crossover settings denote at what point you want the sub (or mains if you have NO SUB or LFE & MAIN selected) to take over bass frequencies of those channels that are set to SMALL.

It can be a bit confusing as the manual is not overly clear.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Have a play and keep the settings you like best. I personally have my fronts set to large, crossover 80hz and sub set to lfe+main. I tried all possible settings ,but, prefered the sound this gave me even though it's different to how most ppl have there's set up (fronts set to small, crossover 80hz and sub set to sub only).

4. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think thats what thought.
    Still confused though. Maybe I have misunderstood what the LFE is.
    Is the LFE a dedicated channel that is just on Dolby Digital and DTS (the .1 bit)?
    If so, this implies that if I have front spkers set to large, then nothing should be sent down the sub channel if playing a Stereo or Direct source as there is no .1 bit and therefor no LFE signal.
    This would seem to make sense,
    BUT I am still getting base from my subwoofer from the sub(i presume also called LFE) connection.

Why am I getting an LFE in Stereo and Direct mode when there shouldn't be one?

Please help.
    Cheers,
    Chris

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Yes. The LFE channel is dedicated for DD and DTS.

Aren't you using a REL sub that is connected via both High & Low level? If so, then your sub is picking up a signal from the front left & right channels via the High Level connection. It's not LFE as such, just low bass.

Unplug the High level connection and see what happens. Make sure that you have also switched OFF the low level input of the SW channel when in DIRECT mode. Use the Channel Levels option and lower it to -12db then OFF. You then shouldn't have any Sub output at all unless you have the Fronts set to Small and bass to SUB and are using STEREO mode.

Really you need to decide what speaker sizes you want first (Large/Small) and then work from there on tweaking the system.

6. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already unpluged the high level input - and expected as you said, not to get any noise coing from the sub at all, BUT it is.

Just tried turning the sub off in dirct mode. This works. Are my frnts still getting the full range signal though, or does this method distinguish with that bass altogther.

It doesn't seem to work in stereo mode though.

Do u know what is happening in Stereo mode and originally in Direct mode. Does the Denon send signals below a certain frequancy to the sub to boost the fronts, regardless of the mode/ input?

One more question. I presume the LFE has nothing to do with any crossover frequancy settings, as it is a channel recorded seperatly by the people making the film soundtrack. Is this right, or is the LFE just any sounds below a certain frequancy?

Thanks for the help

Chris

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    The LFE channel contains bass from 0 - 120hz and is a brick wall filter so there is nothing above 120hz at all.

In DIRECT mode the amp sends full range signals to the Fronts (regardless of what you have selected in speaker setup) and a seperate signal to the Sub (which can be switched OFF).

STEREO mode uses Bass Management (speakers Small/Large etc) but shouldn't be sending any bass to the sub if your mains are set to LARGE. In theory if your speakers are set to LARGE, bass to LFE/MAIN and you are still getting sub output in STEREO mode then the amp must be sending a parallel signal to the sub (which you can't switch OFF using the channel levels). Bit odd if it is doing this. I'll check my Denon and see what it's doing with the bass etc.

Stereo mode is working correctly if you have selected Small speakers and bass to Sub and are getting bass output.

8. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    how do i switch off sub in direct mode on 3802,cheers pat

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Press the CH VOL button on the front of the amp until SW appears then twiddle the selector knob until it goes down to -12db then OFF.

10. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    so does that do direct mode only,if i,m playing music in direct mode

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Yes. Only affects that mode. :)

12. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers jase,do you have 3802,if so what main speakers do you use,rgrds pat,ps,how,s the weather in spain

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Used to have the 3801. Bit hot over here at the moment Pat!:eek: