1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused Newbie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by quattro, Jul 22, 2004.

1. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Been browsing this forum for a few months and am about to take the plunge so to speak and purchase a Plasma, I'm looking at the Panasonic pw6 but after speaking to a guy at AV-sales he advises i also upgrade my Pioneer DVD home cinema system as it doesn't have RGB Scart just s-video,Yellow and then the red and white audio plugs, allowing me to connect my Xbox,Video,and freeview box all through the Pioneer.
    The guy says it will work but the picture quality will be below what it should be and has suggested i buy a Jamo system to replace the Pioneer.
    Why is this the case?

Like i said i'm quite new to all this and would like some advice as why my current system will not deliver the quality as its ok on my Sony CRT.
    Cheers
    Jonah

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Quattro - I'm relatively new to this too ... but for what it's worth:

It sounds like your pioneer only supports the "lowest" two forms of video connection - composite (yellow cable) and s-video (also refered to as S-VHS).

Whem moving to a plasma these are typically much larger than a normal TV - and so you are more likely to notice any imperfections in the picture quality. RGB Scart is the next step up in terms of picture quality - which is why it's being recommended.

Bottom line - I don't think you /have/ to change your system. You could go with what you have and see if you are happy with the image (and then upgrade if you're not), or you could add some connection boards to the plasma and rather than "daisy chain" your video signals through it you could just connect them straight to the plasma (on RBG scart if possible) - with the audio signals still going to the home cinema system.

Oh - and I've read that the av-sales guys are really helpful and know their stuff - so I'm sure if you give them a call back and explain they'll step you through your options. As ever, the better the picture you want on your plasma, the more it's going to cost. And it would be sorta silly to spend 2K+ on a plasma and then feed it low quality signals. A bit like buying a ferrari and then running it on vegetable oil :)

ZedZed

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Actually a bit more like hooking up a caravan at your track day. Clarkson might be amused, but it won't do wonders for your lap times. S-video is not such a bad signal when done well, but this is unlikely to be the case with an older all-in-one system. Also the sound output is hardly a match for a 42" display. The sound is 1/2 the movie experience. You don't ned to spend a fortune, an RGB equipped DVD player is £100 upwards (for something made properly) An AV amp £200, you could get one of those scart switching pioneers, and a set of something like Tannoy speakers, that'll be £500 the lot, or thereabouts. It'll blow your all in one into the middle of next week.

4. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Zed! you dont by chance own a Z350 do u ?

Think i get the picture now regarding the inputs ;)

Well i'm decided i will be upgrading the DVD system now but would prefer an all in one system, purely for that minimal look as i only have a relitively small lounge hence why the Plasma in the first place.
    The guy i spoke with recomended the Jamo system which looks like a nice bit of kit and in my price range.and also fit in whith my current decore. But is it as good as it looks, sound, picture ect the one i'm looking to get is the Jamo DVR-50 & A325 Home Theatre Package.
    Your thoughts would be apreciated.
    Jonah

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Emmm, sadly I don't own a Z350. I've got a 406 Coupé - so maybe I'll go for the Z350 next :)

I've no experience of Jamo systems (I've got a sony DAVS550) - but they do get very good reviews - go to the "All in one" systems forum - there are "magazine" reviews too - all of which seem pretty good. :)

ZedZed

6. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers i will :)

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm a Jamo dealer. As a recommendation, I prefer to offer people the Pioneer vsx301 and dv464 pack. It's roughly the same price, and has 2 spare scarts to make your other connections to. Progressive scan on cheap systems is a nonsense. Video is interlaced on a DVD, (well it can be stored as progressive, but it's rare) Your display is progressive. Therefore deinterlacing has to occur somewhere. Is it better in a budget Jamo reciever or a market leading plasma display? Both have deinterlacers built in. A decent RGB signal works well. You then have the choice of connecting with a scart on the usually free scart board, or if it's a long run, a JS RGB to VGA, or possibly YUV converter. Speaker wise, the Jamos are £426 on my price list. I think Technovirgin recently came by an offer on Celestion '2005 kef egg clones' for less than that. The Jamos are OK, but not that good!
    PS Quattro, your user name is a car reference then? Someone had already had mine, it would have been scooby...

8. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Maw for your advice, I will admit the thing that drew me towards Jamo system was the design mostly, what ever system i have must be athetically pleasing to the eye which IMO these are, thats not saying i dont want a quality sound and picture but it is a factor and a big one. I'll have alook at the Pioneer systems and see what i think. As for the Kef Eggs I've been recomended these by some friends but they are really out of my budget i'm sorry to say as these would of ben my first choice well next to the Kef100 , The Jamo system would cost me £530.
    Oh and yes the refference with my name is a TT, Didn't fancy using that as i might allienate some here especially Scooby drivers ;) :D
    Cheers
    Quattro