Confused Newbie needs help!

Lufer

There is so much choice around at the moment yet nothing ‘exactly' matches my requirements, or so it seems.

Can anyone help?

I am looking to buy a circa 40 inch LCD (probably) screen. I have seen, and liked, the Sony KDL-W40A12U. However it comes loaded with all sorts of stuff I don't need such as freeview and high grade sound. I have Sky+ and will upgrade to HD (when available) and also have a Bose Surround system. We do not receive decent terrestrial TV where we live so I ditched that last year!

Ideally, I just want a high quality, large screen. With Hi-Fi everything is available as a component yet TV manufacturers don't seem to embrace this concept. Is there anything out there or do I buy the Sony and leave many features redundant?

pixelated

I would definitely recommend the Panasonic PHD8 Plasma panel. It comes with no tuners, speakers etc. You can add your own input boards on there so you get exactly what you want as well.

andrewfee

I believe the only thing the W adds over the V is the styling and sound system, so if you want it without that, then save a grand and get the 40" Sony V series.

I don't know what distance you're going to be viewing at, but make sure you are not buying a screen that is too big for your room, or the quality will be terrible. (with any type or size of display) Ideally you want the screen size to be 1/3 your viewing distance.

Lufer

Thanks,

Stuart is the Panasonic true HD with a pixel size of 1,024 x 768 or have I got this wrong?

Andrew, the room is about 26' x 21' and I will be sat at least 12' from the screen, others in the room will be further away.

pixelated

"True HD"... hmmph... some would say that TRUE! HD has to be a 1080p capable panel. So a res of 1920x1080 plus being 1080p capable.

I would argue that 720p is classed as high definition and it's the most readily source. Sky HD will be 720p I think, PS3, xbox 360... the HD resolution I'm most interested in is 720p, that's good enough for me at the moment :) Especially for sports, there's a recent post here regarding some frame rate issues 1080p would suffer with live sports.

As for the panel, 1024x768, yep it's HD Ready. The pixels are slightly rectangular to produce a widescreen image.

CYMRAES

the room is about 26' x 21' and I will be sat at least 12' from the screen, others in the room will be further away.

I have a TOSH 32WLT58 and normally sit between 10'-11' from screen and picture is crystal, superb. I did think of a 37" but I do believe it would have borderline with picture quality from this distance. As it is, if I sit 5'-6' from a 32" the picture is just ok-ish (you do see imperfections)- it is surprising how much difference it makes depending on viewing distance.

My room is around 16'x13' (with 37", although it would be great to have a bigger screen, I think it would have been a let down) to give you an idea - I reckon the 37" would probably be ok looking at from 12', but 42" you are looking at a mega screen - I would be worried about seeing imperfections picture quality wise.

Lufer

Cheers Cymraes. My wife ends up sitting about 20' from the screen on the diagonal. We have a 32" normal Sony widescreen at the moment but I do sometimes find myself squinting (or is that too much red wine! :) ) and was thinking of 37" minimum with 40" optimum.

I am concerned with the picture quality at that size but having seen the Sony W40 in action last week I was less worried. Then again I suppose the Sony centre will have used best quality leads etc. to maximise picture quality and the DVD will have been chosen to make it look its best.

I need to take a look at the Panasonic in action. Another firend has also recommended the Sharp Titanium 37" but again it is all bells and whistles....

andrewfee

I would avoid the Sharp - I have just returned the 26" Titanium GD7E due to the terrible picture quality with interlaced sources and no adjustable backlight. (Sharp told me that there was an "OPC" backlight sensor, but there is no button on the remote, no mention in the manual, and nothing in the menus; no-one at their service centre has been able to actually find any information on it for me)

Argee1977

I've a similar sized room and bought the 40" Sony W, i'm usually 11-12 foot away and the pictures fine for me, but the other couch is 20 foot away and the benefit of the 40" is clear when you're that far back, when i'm in the conservatory which is even further back its even clearer!

When HD becomes available for sports, movies and sky one i'll be happy, thats my main viewing and with HD i'll be able to sit even closer than 11-12 foot.

As for choices, well theres so many, the sony V is the same TV as mine bar the speakers, so if you've already got speakers then that sounds good. Then theres the Phillips 9830 which is another good one, i think that every manufacturer seems to have a decent large LCD now so its worth checking out the shops. As for 1080p, i'm not too bothered about that as it'll be years until TV channels start using it, as for DVDs, i think HD 720p will be good enough, theres only so much the eye can notice, unless you're right next to the TV.

Lufer

Thanks Andrewfee and Argee1977.

I spend the majority of time watching through Sky and very few DVDs. I don't / won't be using this set for gaming.

Argee1977

I'd definitely advise going to decent shops that have a good setup, that way you can view the LCDs running Sky and freeview, its all good and well going into a shop and they're running their HD disc, but thats not the picture quality you'll get in the house for a while.

When i went in i asked them to put it onto the freeview, through all the channels, watched a bit of football, motor sports and anything else i could think off until i was happy with the PQ for the TV running through an aerial/satellite dish.

Lufer

thanks again. It is one hell of a lot of leg work but no doubt worth it in the end. I'll try and locate a decent dealer with multiple agencies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom