Confused newbie after some advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by johnhelliwell, Aug 2, 2006.

1. johnhelliwell

johnhelliwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Been lurking around on this site for a while and this is the 1st time posting as I've confused myself silly by reading too many posts and not understanding most of them :)
    I have a Pana 42 at the moment and have been very happy with it, but it's time to upgrade and I want to go for a 50" (I sit about 8 feet away and I'd really like a bigger screen) but more important I'd like to u/g to HD for sky HD and also for my Xbox 360. Don't watch many DVD's or musch terrestrial TV. I've got a budget of around 3 to 3.5k which seems healthy enough from posts i've read but any recommendations? I'll need a digital tuner box (for mother in law ease of use) but won't need speakers. I thought the Pioneer screens look good, but there seems to be a few posts about issues with Sky (although that maybe resolved now?). There also seem to be a few posts about prices dropping on new panels coming in but I can't figure out when or if the spec will be massively different.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

John

2. SP00KY

SP00KY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Would the Fujitsu 58 series fit in your budget? No tuner or speakers, which doesn't seem to be a problem for you, and it really is superb - using mine with xbox 360 I have found the picture excellent for games and for media streaming - Sky+ even through s-vid is good, so I am hoping for better things from SkyHD when it finally arrives.

3. johnhelliwell

johnhelliwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. what model numbers sould I look out for? had a quick shufty around but nothing seems to mention "58 series"

thx
    John

4. SP00KY

SP00KY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Hello johnhelliwell

Pioneer GB have the New G7 PlasmaTV range arriving some time mid to late Sept 06.

PDP-507XD and the PDP-427XD - there are also Analogue Tuner variants; though its not very clear how readily available these may be other than through some of the large multiple retailers.

The key differences with the XDE models being:

No more external Media Box - everything is now within the chassis of the PlasmaTV.

A move from 43" to 42" for the smaller of the two chassis.

A permanently attached Undermount loudspeaker on the 42" model.

I'm sure too there is a raft of new three letter acronym technologies that will (according to the marketing blurb) reveal so far unseen nuances of your video source signal - oddly enough the marketing blurb says the same thing year on year and oddly enough these new technologies tend to result in incrementally smaller differences between the New models and last years model!

Pioneer GB do have an on-going issue with SKY HD and there is nothing to suggest they wont have the same issue if you hook SKY HD to a G7 chassis - the problem only exists via the HDMI Output of SKY HD so its not a show stopper (for now!).

Fujitsu UK recently introduced the 58 Series Displays - with Gloss Black Bezel; which is the 'in' finish this season :)

There are two models P50XHA58EB and P42XHA58EB - these are both built around pixel arrays provided by Panasonic so start off with a 'look' in picture terms that will be familiar to anyone who already owns a Panasonic Display.

The 58 Series Fujitsu includes Fujitsu's AVM II (those three letter acronyms again) video processing technology and this is what differentiates the Fujitsu from its Panasonic relative.

The 58 Series Displays have to be up there competing for the prize of 'Best Available'.

Regards

Joe

6. Gilly!

Gilly!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Do you mean TLA's?

7. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Sounds like a case for the FBI, CIA or MIB. :cool: Wonder if AVM makes any difference when watching ITV, BBC or MTV? :confused:

8. SP00KY

SP00KY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Good question - in my case, I found that the AVM created an IOU....

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    Hello PlasmaVirgin

Indeed it does!!!

The image you get with SKY even via 'lowly' S-Video on the 58 Series is ahead of anything else on the market.

Your never going to 'fix' the channels on SKY that are broadcast with the MPEG encoder set to maximum compression but the decent channels all look very good on these Displays.

Like most Display on the market they look excellent with HD too - though the big trick from Fujitsu has been in recognising that not many of us have access to an all HD diet of TV and Movies.

Best regards

Joe

10. PlasmaVirgin

PlasmaVirgin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hi Joe,

As I have never used S-Video connections, I would be interested in how much of an improvement RGB scart is over S-Video?

I'm thinking of hooking up a PHD8 to Sky+ with a JSTech scart to VGA box. Would this offer a big noticeable improvement over S-Video? Also, if the PHD8 had a scart board added, would it provide the same picture if I went scart to scart (wasn't that a TV programme?) rather than scart to JST to VGA?

Once cash is more freely available I'd ideally have Sky HD with component out, but until then I'm trying to make the most of the equipment I have.

11. SP00KY

SP00KY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The s-vid connection that I am using for Sky+ into my Fuji 58 gives a good picture - far better than I was expecting. Decided to stick to that until I get SkyHD and I really cannot see anything hugely wrong with the picture.