Confused needing help with cabling for connecting TV to surround

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by m5001, Feb 1, 2014.

1. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hoping someone here would be kind enough to advise me on the type of cabling I would need to solve the following situation.

I'm trying to attach a new TV to an existing surround system (that came with the house so I have no manuals etc).

The existing surround system uses 2 RCA (red/white) to connect to the inputs for a (very old) bose multiroom - that in turn is connected to 2 front and 2 rear speakers, and another RCA (yellow) to connect the subwoofer. Most of the wiring is under a fitted floor or in the walls so I am really stuck with what I can attach directly to the 3 RCA cables.

Connecting the red/white to the L/R output of my Sky HD+ box, and connecting the yellow to the video out seems to work well and was fine when I was only watching stuff on sky.

However, I've just finally got an LED TV (Samsung F5000) - the only audio out on that seems to be a digital optical audio out.

I've been trying to find the right converter to run the speakers from the TV.

Looked at: Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA L/R Audio Converter Adapter
    (Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA L/R Audio Converter Adapter | eBay)

but that appears to only allow me to connect the L/R RCA cables with no feed to the subwoofer.

Have tried lots of googling, but am now fairly confused :)

Any pointers to the right solution greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

2. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Does the TV have earphones socket if so get a 3.5mm plug socket to rca

3. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks; it does. do you know if can get one that will split 3 ways so I can connect the sub as well as the L/R speakers?

Also, any ideas on the optical to RCA - if I use the Headphone option I can't turn it on/off as far as I know without unplugging it - whereas if I use the optical out I can use the remove to flick between TV speaker and the surround I believe.

4. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I doubt you will be able to get a cable to split stereo to have a subwoofer out.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    Speakers require an amplifier to power then and this would be situated between the TV and your speakers. You cannot power speakers via a direct connection to a TV. I'd suggest you look at using an AV receiver between your TV and speakers and maybe even consider connecting source components directly to the AV receiver rather than passing audio through the TV. The AV receiver will convey just the video signal to the TV via its HDMI output while dealing with the audio sourced from its inputs. An AV receiver will also fasciltate you with a dedicated subwoofer pre out and the bass management required to integrate a subwoofer into your setup.

6. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I thought the op had an old Bose system if it's just speakers it isn't going to work

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    I've no idea what he has? He doesn't give details as to which Bose speakers he actually has????

I'd scrap them anyway.

8. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187

Well I didn't want to say it but as you already have, scrap it and get a receiver and new speakers

9. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the amp is a part of a bose multiroom system that is powering the speakers; the sub is self powered. the previous TV was linked to them via the L/R RCA into the multiroom input, not direct to the speakers - because they're wired into the walls and floor in a nicely decorated room I want to make them work if at all possible.

As I mentioned, they work fine using the sky L/R/Video RCA outputs but I don't have an equivalent on the new TV so looking to try and find a way of connecting them to that.

Worst mistake I made was buying the bose system that the previous owner had wired through the house but since its there now I am very reluctant to change it; but the wiring seems to be incompatible with anything!...Any pointers greatly appreciated. Really don't want to pull up the floor and walls to rewire this, and generally the bose kit is working well enough through the rest of the house.

10. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Type "toshlink to phono" in eBay you will find lots of boxes that convert optical to phono just plug that into the Bose system. There is no need to have the yellow lead that is for video which you don't need.

11. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately there is no connection to the subwoofer from the bose system - that's the issue.
    the bose system is only connected to the four small speakers, and all the wiring for that is buried in the walls. for whatever reason the sub is driven solely by that third lead.

As you say I've found plenty that allow me to connect the toshlink to the L/R inputs for the Bose but nothing that would allow me to connect the sub.

If I can't find another solution will do what you suggest, but really wanted to try to include the sub as it does make a difference on films.

12. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Is the subwoofer powered? Normally you use a single phono lead from the amplifier to a active ( self powered ) subwoofer. Maybe you could take a photo of the amplifier connections to help us see what's needed

13. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Sounds like you need a L ,R and a mono(combined) output...the fact it's yellow is a red herring.....i think (unless you've got tv's plumbed in elsewhere)

If you test the sub connection and it works with R or L then you can probably do this with 3 cheap splitters and aforementioned adapter.

God knows what its doing for sound quality but i suppose your stuck with it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  14. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, dug the subwoofer out of the housing it is fitted into. No model number that I can see, just Bose stamped on it. Sub is plugged in to the mains, and has 5 outputs to the speakers.

The L/R outputs from the TV go into an L/R input on the Bose multiroom LS 50 unit.

However, that connects via about 20 ft of under floor wiring to the subwoofer (I think it is going via a Bose SA3 amp in another cupboard, but hard to tell as all wiring under the floor) - the input to the subwoofer is a weird 13 pt. socket shown below, and as you can see in the first picture, 1 of the 4 wires heads off separately -that separate one is the one that is connecting via the yellow RCA (the 3 joined wires head under the floor over to the multiroom, but the 4th heads along the skirting over to the TV and terminates in a female RCA port, which was then connected to the yellow video RCA out with another yellow RCA cable).

Because everything is buried under either a fitted floor or in the walls, I've got almost no ability to change the main wires and have to deal with the sockets that surface above ground on either side.

About the only thing that can be said for the sound quality is that it is better than the native TV speakers.

Attached Files:

15. twoeyedbob

twoeyedbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Jeez...bit of a nightmare
    Was gonna suggest using the old wires to pull an hdmi through to a new receiver in same place...
    But with the hidden amp and weird wiring ,even that sounds unlikely.

Test the sub with L or R ...if it works then you should be good with 3 Y splitter's

'L'onto splitter= 2*L ,one for left,other onto reverse splitter then onto sub (yellow)
    Same for 'R'

16. m5001

m5001
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent, thanks..makes sense and will give that a try