confused need some help please

philoz

Novice Member
hello and thank you for bothering to read this.

I though all my needs were met, I have a lovely panasonic led tv a good pana blu ray, a sony amp that decoads all my hd audio, monitor audio surround sound an xbox 360, then...... i read about these boxes that i can rip all my dvd's and blu rays to so i dont need to go searching through my shelves.
Ok I am totally un informed, can i really put them all onto a hard drive and plug it to a box that will play them all through my system?
Where can i get a definitve guide to doing this? I have read the excellant guide to ripping them at the top of this forum.
My tv and bluray both have usb ports so can i just rip to usb hard drive (i have a lacie 1tb) and they paly on the tv?
any advice or pionters to places to read up it would be most appreciated.
my budget would be £150, i dont mind having a box on the stand by the tv with a hard wire, not too worried but if could stream wireless to mac in bedroom even better.

Thanks
Phil

planthead

Get a wd tv live SMP,, it will do what you want and more,, read more on here,, and prepare for a short but sharp learning curve,,

Last edited:

NX3

You need to find out what formats your tv and bluray player support via USB and then you make your rips to those formats. You might find they are very limited in what they can do hence you might need to get a media player like a WDTV Live.

philoz

Novice Member
thanks for the replies.
So i have gone through the wdtv threads on here.
If i get one of these i can plug my hard drive into the box and it will alow me to play my ripped files on the tv?
I am going to rip the dvds using makemkv, i presum that that will work on the wdtv box?
any other options rather than wdtv?

next010

Distinguished Member
thanks for the replies.
So i have gone through the wdtv threads on here.
If i get one of these i can plug my hard drive into the box and it will alow me to play my ripped files on the tv?
I am going to rip the dvds using makemkv, i presum that that will work on the wdtv box?
any other options rather than wdtv?

Yes that will work although if you care about HD audio you may want to consider a Popbox v8 instead of the WDTV Live, as the WDTV Live does not support pass-through of DTS-MA audio to an amp only Dolby TrueHD and of course regular Dolby AC3 and DTS tracks.

The Popbox v8 supports both HD audio formats and LPCM too which is quite rare as some BD's only have an LPCM track with no TrueHD/DTS-MA present.

When you rip with MakeMKV by default it will select the standard audio AC3/DTS tracks so untick those and select the TrueHD/DTS-MA/LPCM were appropriate.

There are cheaper players like the AC Ryan POHD2 Mini which may also suffice and can pass-through HD audio.

Last edited:

MarkE19

philoz

Novice Member
Ok so after going away and doing a bit of read i have narowed my choices down to the Dune TV101, the WdTV live or the Sony SMP-N100.
Will all these play from mac formatted external hard drive?
Any recomedations or links to good deals would be very appreciated.

dspit1664

Last edited:

philoz

Novice Member
thanks to all the replies. some very good advice and recomendations.

After doing some extensive searching i have decided I want a devicewith built in HDD
So will prob go for the lacie lacinema HD Play 2tb
i have seen it for around £170
unless there is an alternative, would love a top of the range dune but cant justify over £300 for it.

anybody got a lacie device?

thanks again

graham.myers

if you dont need the bluray drive in the max then you can go for the smart d1 @£209. If you dont want the display then you can go for the Smart H1 @£179. Both will give you most of the features of the Dune Max

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom