• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused, need help please

gallo81

Standard Member
I recently bought a blue-ray dvd player (Sony BDP-S350).

My System is a JVC RX-402B Reciever and Harman Kardon 6.1 (HKTS 8) it has 2 years now.

I went to a video/audio store and I guy showed me a KEF KHT1005.2GB 5.1 with KUBE1 System which I loved the sound.

Now my questions.

After the blue-ray buy, my JVC isn't capable to decode Dolby Digital HD or DTS HD, So I was trying to search for a good Reciever with those decoding options, and not to expensive.

My options are:

Harman Kardon AVR-254
Onkyo TX-SR606
Yamaha RX-V663

Other brands are welcome, my budget is like $500USD

and my second question is, what do you recommend me about speakers, to sell the HKTS8 and buy the KEF KHT1005.2GB 5.1 or to stay with the HKTS8 and simply buy a better Reciever?

This is for my room, is like 3.3m x 3.3m x 2.8m(H)

Thank you a lot.

GALLO

Last edited:

gallo81

Standard Member
I was looking at amazon and I saw the Denon AVR-1909 for 649USD so maybe I'd go for it.

After reading a while I saw that everyone are saying that for music is better HK and for TV/DVD Movies Denon. is this true?

HK 254 or Denon 1909 (Music Vs. Movies) which one?

Now stay with HK speakers or go for KEF?

Thanks everyone

GALLO

Last edited:

Kev12

I was looking at amazon and I saw the Denon AVR-1909 for 649USD so maybe I'd go for it.

After reading a while I saw that everyone are saying that for music is better HK and for TV/DVD Movies Denon. is this true?

HK 254 or Denon 1909 (Music Vs. Movies) which one?

Now stay with HK speakers or go for KEF?

Thanks everyone

GALLO

$649 US, thats about £500 ( probably a bit more), Too dear for a 1909 surely?

gallo81

Standard Member
$649 US, thats about £500 ( probably a bit more), Too dear for a 1909 surely?

It's complicated. My budget is arround $400USD right now. When I sell my JVC Reciever I will buy one of this 2 recievers.

HK AVR-254 or Denon AVR-1909

The other problem is that I really want to buy the KEF 1005.2 /kube1 sub.

So the real question is which of this recievers option will be the best for the KEF 1005.2 5.1? (I will add later 2 more satellites for 7.1) it's kind difficult for me, I'm not a professional in this area and when I read more on internet, instead of clearing my doubts, I'm full of them.

Some says that this recievers in power terms, for a 7.1, in real life tests they power up 50watts per channel, so is this right? because in the manuals HK says that, but denon says 90watts per channel. So besides this, which will be my best option for KEF speakers.

Thank you a lot.

BTW I'm not using PS3, maybe XBOX 360 but not to much playing, is going to be more for watch BR movies, series and BR concerts, and all that stuff and remember my room specs, 10.5ft by 10.5ft by 9ft.

Thanks guys for all your help. I really apprecite it.

GALLO

Last edited:

gallo81

Standard Member
Hi again guys, after a long post reading, my update:

I bought a KEF KHT 3005 (silver), but I still looking for a best reciever option.

So for my needs (Xbox360, cable box and blue ray movies), my last two options are:

Denon 1909 or Harman 354.

I live in Mexico and I can't find a place that sells the speakers and the reciever to test the sound, if there is the reciever they don't have the speakers and viceversa, so I'm just asking for the pros which reciever is going to fill better the KEF speakers, btw I will use it more for watch movies than the other things.

Thanks guys, I really apprecaite all your help

GALLO

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom