1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused - marantz 5300 vs yamaha 630

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zippo4, Nov 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just found that I have slightly more cash than I expected at the end of the month and have decided to get into this home cinema lark!

I'll be the first to admit to being a complete novice and having read all the comments I accept that ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the listening. If you like it then buy it as it were.

However.....that still leaves me a mite confused. I'm looking for an amp that is a high speced as possible (dunno why, I'll probably never use half the features but its nice knowing that they are there:)

Home cinema is the main reason for buying but until I get a decent HI FI amp I will use it to listen to music so it must be good/competent in the music area too.

Having trawled through the posts here I am torn between the yamaha 630 and the marantz 5300. Is the Marantz 5300 a newer version fo the 5200? or 4200? If so whats different about it from previous versions?

I have heard that the marantz can handle music better than the yamaha? Does anyone have an opionion on this? In a recent magazine test the marantz 4200 only just lost out to the yamaha 'cos it was slightly dated in its spec. Would it be safe to say that the new updated 5300, with the inclusion of dts es etc, would actually be a better machine than the yamaha? And a better choice musically?

Sorry to ramble on but I would really appreciate any feedback as this cash is burning a hole in my pocket and it needs to be spent before my other half gets ideas about curtains/furniture/decorating/clothes/zzzzzzzzzz.....

Cheers

Paul

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard the Yamaha but the Marantz have a reputation for being more musical than Yamaha. The Marantz *200 range have just been superceded by the *300 range

The old 5200 had more features than the 4200 as well as more power and the new 5300 improves on that. There are a couple of threads detailing the differences between the old and new.

3. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the response. I think I am being swayed by the musical ability of the marantz...so long as it does all that the yamaha does for home cinema

4. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    About 3mths back what hi did a receiver round up and 5200 was beaten in 4th (behind the new Kenwood and Pioneer). The Yam630 was top. They sited lack of features and surrond processing were its downfall. With the 5300 out, I reckon they corrected the lack features but have they upgraded surrond processing (e.g steering)...well I don't know. I have listen to the 5200 in WhatHi (at Bristol) and I found it to be "lazy" with films. I suppose that's the downside for making a quality amp for music. Saying that the Yam630 is good with films (including B-films from Sky-D) but not so hot on music. But in-terms of future proofing the Yam might have the edge with componet in/out and a 2nd set of terminals. Personally I reckon it down to price, speaker set-up, tastes and avaliability!

5. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your point about availability is a good one. Been looking around the web (the joys of working for an internet company is that it 'looks' like you are actually working !!!) and I am struggling to find an yamahas that are available at a decent price. Any suggestions?

6. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I got mine Yam630se at QED-uk.com £297 (look under ampliers instead of receivers). Note that the 630se is the same as RVX630 but comes only in black and there is not a tuner. The latter is not really needed if u have sky-D, cable etc or a good reception. I got mine 4mths ago (long before genuine hype and demand).

Alternatively unbeatable.co.uk ..similar price.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Their exact words were "The Marantz boasts a deadly combination of clarity and detail, enabling it to deliver the complex dialogue of traing day with excellent presence and realism. Bass is strong too, providing strongly defined, punchy grooves with the movie's hip hop score. The only problem is in surround steering precision: with Monsters Inc, the rear speaker is good, but no longer class leading.

On the other hand the Marantz remains the hifi champ of this sector."

8. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I get the yamaha (or marantz) they are obviously capable of driving 6(?) speakers...but if I want to slowly build up my speakers with quality items over a period of time i.e. more expensive, will I see any benefit from adding one pair at a time? Or will the amp be sitting there redundant until I have a room full of speakers?

9. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian J is totally correct and when you take into context that when the 5200 came out it and the 4200 won the reviews. In this latest review it only came fourth because it was reviewed against brand new models and is showing its age a little in terms of features etc compared to these new models. What Hifi knew that Marantz was about to release the 300 series but wouldn't wait, so this IMO wasn't really a fair comparison.

Bearing in mind that the 5200 is now at least a year old and was pitted against these all new dancing/singing models I think it did pretty dam well to come in fourth.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    but if I want to slowly build up my speakers with quality items over a period of time i.e. more expensive, will I see any benefit from adding one pair at a time?

Sure you can start with two front speakers, then later add center and / or rears and finally surround back(s). During that time some of the internal amplification stages will remain "off" and of course you can only get the full benefit of surround sound when you have all speakers (at least 5) in place.
    Don't forget to budget in a subwoofer, too!

11. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I had a Marantz sr7200 and now have the Yamaha 630.

I can confirm what the other people say.

The Marantz was great in direct mode for music. But I was disappointed with its surround sound steering. It was lazy.

The Yamaha is great for the movies in terms of everything but not as good as the Marantz for music. Its movie dsp modes are really good and something you would not want to miss once listened to.

My preference is movies so the Yamaha is the better.

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would get two good mains and then buy a cheap centre and rears for the time being. This is what I did. Got the Ruark Prologue R's and some second hand Kef Crestas for the rest. They were junk but at least I got a taste of surround. I have gradually replaced them with the Ruark system and managed to flog them on Ebay for about the same as I paid.

They won't be balanced and the effect will not be brilliant but it will be better than any 'virtual' surround modes on two speakers. You also have great main speakers for 2 channel stereo.

S

13. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks to all for your help. It's great to find a place where a complete newbie can ask questions and not get shot down in flames.

I think I'm going to go for the Yamaha and some mission m73's. I'll use that as a base to build on and hopefully after christmas add some extra speakers and maybe a dedicated hi fi amp.

I'll let you know how I get on....

cheers guys

14. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem,

Can someone please explain 'lazy' surround steering???!!!:rolleyes:

I have done comparsions of the 630, 5200 and Sony 1080 side by side, and of the 3 the Marantz only marginally loses out to the Yamaha, and it's a very very small margin. The Sony is good, but not a patch on the Marantz and Yamaha.

Indeed, the clarity of the effects and the movement of sound in Saving Private Ryan and Star Wars TPM was just as good on the 5200 as on the 630 - so i don't know where people seem to be getting this 'lazy' business from!

Still, it's horses for courses....:)

Westy

15. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    There were lots of examples for me

The opening scene of the THX light bulb that explodes. When it explodes effects go front to back with a transition. With the yam you notice the front to back transition more. I think with the marantz it was just front then back

The armegeddon start up with the road and lightening. It is more prolific on the yam

Some scenes in the Matrix the machine gun scenes the bullets are positioned in the living room more precisely ( more 3D ) with the yam

16. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounded the same on both for me :D

What DVD player and speakers do you use??

Westy

17. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

Speakers I have are Bose AM15. My DVD Player is Philips 962sa. Projector is Sanyo PLV30

It is layed out in a perfect square shape so I notice the surround sound panning

18. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta be honest, (i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here, so no arguments!!;) ), but it's pretty much even for me!

I've been listening to surround amps for years now, and i've heard some real turkeys - the best i had was my Denon AVC11SR, but sadly i moved and the room just didn't need that sort of amp. I had a 630, it broke, so i had another one, which broke again, so out came a 5200 and i was very very pleasantly surprised. Stunning quality for movies, the sense of envelopment was amazing.

Case in point, i was watching Star Trek Insurrection, and at the beginning as the music is still playing, the camera moves past a kid who his using a water pump, (or something!), as the camera moves away, you can hear the pump noise travel smoooothly from the right front, into a magical 'phantom' space inbetween front and rear right, and then to the rear and beyond. The effect was so uncanny a few of my mates asked to rewind to make sure they weren't hearing things!

Same with Gladiator, at the start as Maximus walks towards the battle field, the sound of the men on horses moving from rear left into the front soundstage is effortlessly placed by the Marantz, ditto with the arrows slicing through the air during the huge battle sequence.

I use, Toshiba 520e DVD, Acoustic Energy Evo 3's and Evo Centre up front, a pair of Mission 77DS on the side walls, and another pair on the back wall for rear centre. The performance is highly impressive indeed ;)

It's good...

Westy

19. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi

That is strange then. Have you compared these with the Yam630 to see any differences

The Gladiator scene was also one where I noticed the horses did not go through the living room. It was very flat with my sr7200 not 3D like as with my Yam

20. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i said, i had 2 630's, and it is an excellent reciever, but i don't think it's that much better than the 5200 to be perfectly honest. If it was i wouldn't have kept the 5200.

The Marantz has a lovely sweet and open sound that benefits the movies as well as the music. The soundstaging is superb on the 5200 with everything i've tried, the plane collision in Fight Club is as scary as hell every time, you can hear stuff all over the place, not like on some cheapo recievers which just seem to place sound from 4 corners, never as a 'whole'.

Listen to the part in Monsters Ins where Mike and Sully arrive at work, Celia's voice on the phone echo's into the soundstage, whilst the ambience of the area just bathes the viewing position - the people 'off camera' who call out Morning Sully! from surround left and surround right just sounds so natural with everything else going on.

One thing the 5200 does have is big power. My Evo's are quite hard to drive on smaller amps, but the 5200 laps them up big time, i;ve never seen speaker cones with this level of travel in them!! It's like they're going to come out of the cabinet!:D They lap up the power though, great speakers

Westy

21. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    From a home cinema point of view can we assume that u r not in agreement with the What fi review 2-3mths back?

22. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not the only one here who thinks What Hifi have gone a bit naff over the last year.

Their opinion seems to change every month about certain things - it is highly frustrating indeed! One month extended surround isn't so important, the next it's imperative that you have it!

Having had the opportunity to listen to both in my own home, my own personal conclusion is that there's not a lot in it at all. I don't disagree, it's just my opinion is obviously different to theirs :)

Westy

23. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ordered the beast from hi fi junkies...it should be with me tomorrow morning so I'll let you know how it goes....

24. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Which beast is it you are going for?

25. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    odds on the Yam630 ;)

26. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the yamaha 630...... i was very tempted by the marantz but I decided that I wanted to use the av amp for av and will ultimately get a dedicated hi fi amp...so though I guess the marantz is a good all rounder I thought the yamaha edged it on the av side....

gulp...prepares himself for a mountain of 'you did what!!'

27. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...is gonna kill me

28. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Congratulations

29. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't worry about it!!!You have done well. Do what I did..Just show her the What hifi mag 2-3mths back and the Home cinema choice last mths and she will be dazzel!!! The crime would be to buy Mar 5200 and not the superior 5300!

30. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The word 'dazzled' doesn't spring to mind unfortunately ;)

still, she will warm to it when I let her play her Will Young CD...sigh, the things we have to do for our addiction.