1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused LCD Wannabe!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by barneybelly, Aug 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the last two weeks i have been pondering over a new tv...i decided to go for an LCD as to the sleek style and space saving flatness!!
    I eventually decided up on the Samsung...the one with the thread bigger that the bible and Koran put together!!
    I placed an order with Umpiredirect :D only to be told a few days later that there not due in for 6-8 wks :eek:
    Ok...so i have spent the last couple of hours looking through various threads and sites tryin to order a new one.
    Now i am thinkin...is it all worth it!!
    I was originally goin for a 36" crt for a couple of hundred pounds less than the lcd...but thinking about it now....there are no complaints over tearing or pic quality on crt. Ok there is a bulker tv but is it worth getting one for the next say 18 months whilst all the companies tweak and compete to bring out bigger and better and cheaper lcd's within the next couple o years...cause lets face it am not gonna be that bothered to get goin on HDTV unless am convinced am gonna get value for money rathed than wait for one program to come around every 3 weeks via a subscribed to sky!!!!
    So what shud i do guys?
    Go for an LCD that will probably be reduced and improved in 12 months time or get a proven crt to use for the next 18 months?
    Any comments will be useful.
    Thanks folks :smashin:

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I think you should go for the CRT. You'd need to spend a lot more to get an LCD with quality similar to a CRT of a similar price. What CRT is it you're looking at?

3. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the Toshiba 36" zp46 model...don't need the 48 as have a surround sound setup....heard some pretty good reviews on this.
    I just don't know what to go for!!

4. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm having the same dilema BB.
    I started off by thinking about changing my Panny 28" Freeview CRT and moving up to the 32" version (36" would swamp my small living room)
    Then I started thinking about LCD.
    Thought I had decided on the Philips, then read glowing reports about the Samsung, but carrying on reading through the same massive thread, doubts began to creep in. I have now got the hots for the new Sagem 32" Freeview LCD that is due for release mid September. I have read glowing reviews on the 27" version so I expect (rightly or wrongly) that the 32" will be just as good, if not better????? The specification looks spot on, the actual TV looks gorgeous, a little more expensive than my original choice but I would rather pay the extra and get what I want than regret not buying it in 6 months time!!
    I have spent more time going between websites viewing specs on televisions over the last four days than I have at work!
    I have never been so confused over buying something as I have a new TV!!
    Hell, I picked out my house quicker than this!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I will only be using the TV for Freeview viewing and DVD's and have no plans to subsrcribe to "rip off" Sky so why should I be too concerned about HD capability, although it is something I have to take into account with the move this way over the coming years.
    I am totally confused :suicide: :suicide:
    Rob