• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused in connecting system to tv..

slg

Standard Member
Regular reader for a while but not having much luck working out what I need to do with this. I had a spare surround sound system in the loft & when moving found it would be a useful addition in a spare room.

I have the PS3 connected to an LG 1080p through the HDMI to watch blu-ray movies but the question really is - How do i connect the s/s to get the sound whilst using the HD capabilities in the PS3.

Connections:

PS3
- HDMI out - using this with a HDMI cable to the LG
- Optical digital out
- AV multi out

Sony Surround

- scart output to tv
- video 2 optical digital in
- Video 1 R W Y 2 x Audio Out 1 x Video Out
R W Y 2 x Audio In 1 x Video In
- Video 2 R W Y 2 x Audio In 1 x Video In

TV
- HDMI - used for PS3
- HDMI 2
- Optical Digital Audio Out
- Component In
Video Y P Pr Audio L R
- Two scarts AV1 AV2

Thanks in advance for any help.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Connect an optical cable from the PS3 and set the PS3 to output audio over optical in the sound settings menu, then check it is set to 'bitstream' in the BD/DVD settings menu. Then select this optical input on the s/s remote, you might have to cycle through all the inputs until you come to D.In, D-In or similar. That should be it. The same goes for your TV, simply connect an optical cable from the TV's audio output to the 2nd optical input on the s/s system.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom