• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused .. how good is the converted sound into DTS ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Have a SD Plasma (Panasonic PWD8) - but I have V+ - and HD still seems to look exquisite (possibly better than some HD sets I've seen) and a noticeable step-up from DVD (and I have a Toshiba 9500 - so decent DVD player)

so considering a Tosh E1 .. but worried about the sound side ofthings.

Have a Pioneer 2011- which sounds great - but does not have HDMI of course.

that means I'll get downscaled (or whatever its called) DTS ... but presumably this doesn't really sound any better than standard DVD does it ?

XE1 just seems such a hike in price to get the analogue outs - especially since I've no current (and no plans to replace plasma) to need 1080p.

any ideas please ?

thanks, Mark.

TrevorS

Established Member
so considering a Tosh E1 .. but worried about the sound side ofthings.

Have a Pioneer 2011- which sounds great - but does not have HDMI of course.

that means I'll get downscaled (or whatever its called) DTS ... but presumably this doesn't really sound any better than standard DVD does it ?

Typical SD DVD DD is 448Kbps and DTS is 768Kbps, whereas the E1 Toslink will crossconvert DD+ and DD-THD to 1.536Mbps DTS when playing HD DVD -- definitely an upgrade over typical standard DVD :).

SirTiger007

Established Member
Typical SD DVD DD is 448Kbps and DTS is 768Kbps, whereas the E1 Toslink will crossconvert DD+ and DD-THD to 1.536Mbps DTS when playing HD DVD -- definitely an upgrade over typical standard DVD :).
I don't suppose you know what settings to put it on so it does this? I have the EP-10 and have the Digital Out SPDIF to Bitstream and the Digital Out HDMI to Auto but it sends all sound to my old amp as DD (not dts). I'm v new to all this and it's probably a stupid question, so thankyou for answering it!! :)

Edit:
Tis ok, I found this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605338 which answered my question! Specifically TrevorS, so thankyou again!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom