Confused! Help pls :)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Laskina, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am looking to buy a new camcorder and have an idea of what I want to do with it - but dont know which camcorder I should get.

I am looking to do the following .....

- PC based editing only

- Digital re-production only (i.e. the "finished product" would either be hosted on a website or put onto CD-ROM)
    - Mostly family type videos but may want to do a bit of semi-professional stuff (will have to dust off my director's chair!!!)
    - Still images not vital (I have a digital still camera)
    - Price wise - anything under £2,000

I assume a miniDV based camcorder connecting via firewire to the PC would be the best option? Could I connect via USB (for downloading video)?

So could you please help with some suggestions of which camcorders (or formats, etc) I should be considering :)

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help with specific camcorders, but £2000 buys you most of the semi-pro 3CCD cameras out there.

For PC based editing the only format to go for is MiniDV. Sony also have a smaller version of this format called MicroMV, but the advantages size wise don't make the extra cost of the tapes worth it.

Most if not all DV camcorders have a Firewire out, sorry you can't use USB 1/1.1, it's not fast enough for video. There may be USB 2.0 Camcorders out in the next year, but Firewire add-in cards are the same price as USB 2.0, so there isn't much to choose between them except what you connect them too.

HTH

3. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to splash out a little bit more then the Canon XL1s is very nice indeed.

In the mid-range there is the Canon XM2, which is a more compact unit with similair(ish) optics, 3CCDs, blah, blah, blah. About £1600-ish, I think.

Take a look at Creative Video.

www.creativevideo.co.uk

Not the absolute cheapest, but very good service.

PS - FireWire is the only way to go.

4. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice :)

I was stuck between the Sony DCR TRV50 or Canon MVX2I - both offered things I wanted at the right price.

I have a Sony digital camera which users the same memory stick and battery - which kind of made the choice for me. Well, that and the wife said she didnt like the shape of the Canon.

:)

5. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For your info. I got a firewire card and cable from www.dabs.com for
    £13.00 inc. delivery. It works great !