Confused!! HDMI Auto Switching & Volume Control - TV or AMP?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Archie303, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Archie303

Archie303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have just been round to a mates house and he is using an Onkyo TX-NR807 that seems to be able to do things that my Yamaha RX-V1900 can't?
    I'll apologise in advance as I haven't kept up to speed with AV equipment advances since I purchased this amp in 2008 along with my Sony KDL-46W5500 TV.
    His amp was able to auto detect and switch inputs as he switched on other equipment and he was also able to control volumes, i.e. when he pressed the volume on his new Youview remote it adjusted the volume on his amp, the same when he uses the TV remote. He also said that when he switched of the TV it also switches off the amp which seems a good idea as mine is always left on when I switch the TV off.
    I hope I haven't misunderstood his setup. He maintains its all to do with the amp but when I compare the spec of my amp against his, the features are almost similar.
    My question is, are these features on the TV or on the Amp?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,044
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    What your friend is using is HDMI Control (called different thinks by different manufacturers so Sony call in Bravia Link). Even if you Yamaha can not do this just get an all in one remote like the Logitech Harmony. This can be configured to give one button switching between devices and switching on/off. Very easy to set up and even easier to use. Also it tends to work more reliably than HDMI control which can be a bit flaky.

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    BOTH
    Look up Wikipedia HDMI and the CEC feature ... Plus ARC

Only fairly recent stuff will do this properly ... and only if properly implemented by the makers. Some combinations do no do it well.

YouView will have specced kit to conform, and they will have been independently tested.

5. Archie303

Archie303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks guys, I think I understand the concept better now but I can't find an option on my amp for this. Found this link for a more modern Yamaha but don't see anything like the first two options on mine??

Yamaha RX-V667 7.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver - HDMI Settings Menu

I have been down the universal remote road before but have managed to get by for a good few years with just the Sky remote with the volume punch through code, to enable it to adjust the Yamahas volume or getting up and manually changing the inputs when necessary or using the Yamahas learning remote. My only other equipment are my SkyHD box, an xbox360, a Sony vgx-xl301 Media Centre PC & a Sony Blu-ray player.
    Was thinking of ditching the Sky for Youview but believe you cant do the volume punch through on the Youview remote, so it was after seeing the (HDMI CEC) features that I thought it could be a workaround if my equipment was compatible, as well as the extra features like turning everything off.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,044
    You would appear to be correct and it doesn't seem as though HDMI CEC was implemented with the RXV1900?

SKY boxes don't have CEC capabilities anyway so if wanting to use HDMI Control in conjunction with a SKY box then you're out of luck.