1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sasso, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD5 gets confused when fast forwarding MP3's!

If I start playing an MP3 then fast forward it and then let go, the timer and progress bar goes crazy...it goes up and down and goes too quickly as if its lost the position where it was up to. Then if you fast forward again and let go it becomes worse...the bar and timer jumps backwards and forwards minutes at a time!!....It does travel in the gereral forward direction and seems to narrow down to a few seconds of the proper time. It can't find its exact position again until you restart the song.
    NB. The music that is playing is not affected. Just the timer.

Playing ATRAC songs has NO problems with fast forwarding.
    I talked to my Software Design teacher and he said that some encoded files like mp3 don't have its time encoded into it. The player just reads it as it goes along and so when fast forwarding it has little idea of where it is exactly. This is evident because fast forwarding Atrac has no problems at all...so we can assume it does have time encoded into it. My teacher also said that some mp3 playing devices converts the mp3 song before it plays so it can keep track of the time.

The problem is that this may not be easy to fix. Or if sony will care at all, they were probably aware when they made it. Could be wrong considering there are heaps of things they missed on this player.

OR my unit could be dodgey. Can some please confirm this problem?

thanks

Im starting to have second thoughts about the HD5. I have a nack for discovering problems with things and they seem to be raking in.

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Is the MP3 a variable bit rate MP3 as these are not recommended on the NW-HD5 for this very reason?

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OHH....Thankyou for pointing that out. Yes it was. It makes more sense now. And it was just my luck because I tried a few others and they all happened to be VBR as well! It works fine with normal mp3s....

So I guess it can't be fixed? How do VBR's behave on other players? Ipod, Zen, Iriver, Mrobe....etc?

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Occasionally VBR problems on some Zens, as I understand it ...