Confused Girlie needs help!

chicunique

Standard Member
Hi

This may have been discussed a few times before so apologies but I am a girl so be kind! My fella is in the forces and back from abroad very soon, I have purchased a Onkyo TX-308 which I would like to setup for his return.

Can somebody explain how to set this up with Sky+ box and Blu-ray player please. At the moment I have HDMI from Sky to TV and Bluray connected to TV with HDMI. Sorry the TV is a Samsung 40" LCD with 3 x HDMI connections. I did try connecting the sky direct to the Onkyo but obviously lost the sky picture but had sound etc. It is probably very easy so apologies for wasting anybodies time.

Any help really appreciated!!

Thank you

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Likely your amp not only has HDMI in but also one HDMI out. Feed the HDMI into the amp, then out to the TV. This is typically referred to as pass through.

When the HDMI, from any device, enters the amp, the sound will be stripped off and played by the amp, then the signal will be passed from the HDMI out of the amp to the TV where the video can be seen.

Does that sound like a solution to your problem?

Steve/bluewizard

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You will need to connect the Sky+ HD box via optical or digi-coax to get Dolby Digital 5.1 as the boxes only output stereo over HDMI.

You have two options:

A. Sky connected direct to TV
  • Sky to TV via HDMI (1)
  • Sky to AV Receiver via optical or digi-coax (2)
  • Bluray to AV Receiver via HDMI (3)
  • AV Receiver to TV via HDMI (video from Bluray)

(1) This option will allow you to use either the TV speakers for quiet viewing e.g. watching news or AV Receiver speakers for movies, games etc.
(2) Set to DOLBY D in sound settings menu. The latest Sky+HD boxes have both digi-coax and optical. The original Thomson boxes only had optical. When given the choice I prefer digi-coax
(3) Set Bluray player up for Bitstream / HDMI auto and turn secondary audio/BD mix options off.

B. Sky connected via AV Receiver for both audio and video
  • Sky to AV Receiver via HDMI (video) and optical or digi-coax (audio) (1)
  • Bluray to AV Receiver via HDMI
  • AV Receiver to TV via HDMI (video from Sky+HD and Bluray)

(1) Assign the inputs in the Recevier set up menu so that the digital audio input matches the video input

The setup for Sky+HD and Bluray is the same.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom