confused Garmin 265wt or Navigon 4350

mrapriliafalco1

Established Member
Reaction score
I went into Halfords to buy the Navigon 4350 and the salesman tried to get me interested in the Garmin
So walked out scratching my head!!!!
Whats better Garmin 265WT or the Navigon as im stumped

You will not find many people who have one of each so a comparison can be made. I have the Garmin one and am well satisfied so far. It was about £150 at Amazon.

I had a 205wt which is not too dissimilar from the 265wt, and ditched it for the 4350max (via the 3300max). The navigon beats the garmin in every way. I only kept the garmin for 2 months. I had previously had garmins and were very impressed by them, and that is why i got the 205wt, but they dont seem to have made any progress, where as other sat navs have caught up with, and gone past garmins. The Navigon ive had for quite a few months now it is by far the best sat nav for the money on the market today. And ive had quite a few! My advice though, is to have a play with one. Ignore what the halfords guys tell you, as they are rewarded for pushing tomtoms and garmins etc.

Thanks will stick with the Navigon,I have only read good reports.And after reading your comment my mind is now made thanks

I had a 205wt which is not too dissimilar from the 265wt, and ditched it for the 4350max (via the 3300max). The navigon beats the garmin in every way. I only kept the garmin for 2 months. I had previously had garmins and were very impressed by them, and that is why i got the 205wt, but they dont seem to have made any progress, where as other sat navs have caught up with, and gone past garmins. The Navigon ive had for quite a few months now it is by far the best sat nav for the money on the market today. And ive had quite a few! My advice though, is to have a play with one. Ignore what the halfords guys tell you, as they are rewarded for pushing tomtoms and garmins etc.

No they're not!!! They are just fed up taking back other manufacturer's faulty units. :nono:

Yes they are, it's well known:suicide:. Tomtom also have the worst failure rate.

Nonsense!! They probably do get more TT's back because they sell a lot morre but as a percentage of sales they are far from the worst.

I can assure you that there is no financial benefit to Halfords staff for selling Garmin or TT above any other brand.

A Navigon was reviewed on "The Gadget Show". They did not think too much of it.

Nonsense!! They probably do get more TT's back because they sell a lot morre but as a percentage of sales they are far from the worst.

I can assure you that there is no financial benefit to Halfords staff for selling Garmin or TT above any other brand.

That isnt what i was told... by someone who works there...It is also posted on this site somewhere by a halfords employee too.

I have had a few tomtoms and they all went back to the repair centre at some point within the 1st 3 months, and were away for at least 2 weeks. As i spend most of my time on the road travelling all over the UK, i cant be without a sat nav for such periods of time. Why do you think TT have so many "reconditioned" units for sale? My garmin was the most reliable ive had, its just a shame they cant get the traffic to actually work properly.

Yea, i saw the Navigon reviewed on the gadget show too, only after i bought mine. It was a different model though so i wasnt too bothered. And the 4350max doesnt suffer from any of the foibles that they found. Me, along with probably all the other 4350max users dont find the satellite locking slow, or the routing.

That isnt what i was told... by someone who works there...It is also posted on this site somewhere by a halfords employee too.

I have had a few tomtoms and they all went back to the repair centre at some point within the 1st 3 months, and were away for at least 2 weeks. As i spend most of my time on the road travelling all over the UK, i cant be without a sat nav for such periods of time. Why do you think TT have so many "reconditioned" units for sale? My garmin was the most reliable ive had, its just a shame they cant get the traffic to actually work properly.

Yea, i saw the Navigon reviewed on the gadget show too, only after i bought mine. It was a different model though so i wasnt too bothered. And the 4350max doesnt suffer from any of the foibles that they found. Me, along with probably all the other 4350max users dont find the satellite locking slow, or the routing.

Ok, Halfords staff at the moment get £1.50 every time they sell an attachment with ANY brand of satnav, this incentive does change from time to time but it is wrong to say they get paid extra for selling TT and Garmin.

I take your point about TT and the fact it had to go back for repair, the solution to this problem is to buy a Garmin. Faulty products are swapped out in store for new units.

As to the Garmin traffic service, please explain why the Navigon traffic is better.

Ok, the free standard tmc just doesn't work in, or well in the uk, Dow whatever reason. The garmin uses this system, as do some navigons. I actually. Took my 3300max back because I couldn't get accurate info. I could drive round the uk all day and not get any traffic info on this, or the garmin until it was too late, or I'd passed the incidents. standard tmc is broadcast every 45-60 mins I believe, and is not always recievable. Premium tmc uses a combination of tmc from classic fm, local radio, and traffic master. This makes it 95% accurate, and updated every 5mins. Garmin do not have this facility, the navigon does and I've found it faultless. It also calculates the delay, and will tell you if it's found a quicker route, or if it's quicker to stay in the traffic, as the delay is shorter and quicker than a longer diversion, clever stuff really. Tomtom will just avoid the traffic, even if the route takes you 1hr longer. Which isn't really helpfull.

Ok, the free standard tmc just doesn't work in, or well in the uk, Dow whatever reason. The garmin uses this system, as do some navigons. I actually. Took my 3300max back because I couldn't get accurate info. I could drive round the uk all day and not get any traffic info on this, or the garmin until it was too late, or I'd passed the incidents. standard tmc is broadcast every 45-60 mins I believe, and is not always recievable. Premium tmc uses a combination of tmc from classic fm, local radio, and traffic master. This makes it 95% accurate, and updated every 5mins. Garmin do not have this facility, the navigon does and I've found it faultless. It also calculates the delay, and will tell you if it's found a quicker route, or if it's quicker to stay in the traffic, as the delay is shorter and quicker than a longer diversion, clever stuff really. Tomtom will just avoid the traffic, even if the route takes you 1hr longer. Which isn't really helpfull.

It's not my intention to get into an argument with you over this but what you have said here is simply no true.

"Premium tmc uses a combination of tmc from classic fm, local radio, and traffic master. This makes it 95% accurate, and updated every 5mins. Garmin do not have this facility,"

Yes it does! Garmin traffic is supplied by Trafficmaster and is broadcast through a silent FM signal utilising local radio stations exactly as you have described. This information is constantly updated and not every 45-60 minutes as you claim.Also premium TMC takes no information from Classic FM or local radio so how can this possible make it 95% accurate as you claim? Classic and local radio are purely broadcasters of the info.

"It also calculates the delay, and will tell you if it's found a quicker route, or if it's quicker to stay in the traffic, as the delay is shorter and quicker than a longer diversion, clever stuff really."

I don't know what system you have been using but this is exactly what happens on a traffic enabled Garmin.:nono:

I don't see this as an arguement, don't worry! Which garmin model do you use? I had a 205wt and it was next to useless on the traffic side of things, maybe mine was faulty but it didn't do what you described. If it did I would have kept as garmin are so reliable (still have a 205 for my wife, it's about 4yrs old too). All the info I have posted is what I have been tol from the manufacturers (garmin and navigon). Maybe the higher end gaRmins use premium tmc too?

I don't see this as an arguement, don't worry! Which garmin model do you use? I had a 205wt and it was next to useless on the traffic side of things, maybe mine was faulty but it didn't do what you described. If it did I would have kept as garmin are so reliable (still have a 205 for my wife, it's about 4yrs old too). All the info I have posted is what I have been tol from the manufacturers (garmin and navigon). Maybe the higher end gaRmins use premium tmc too?

Hi mrash,

I have the follwoing models-

200WT, 250WT, 265WT, 1200T, 1390T, 1490T, 765WT, 1690T, 860T and various other older models. :smashin: I wonder why???

Apart from the 1690T all other Garmin traffic enabled devices use the exact same information and technolgy. The 1690T does it differently, utilising an inbuilt sim card much the same way as the TT live series.

It is possible that you had a faulty unit as there is always traffic info available on my units at any given time. For your information Trafficmaster cover 95% of all government classified trunk roads and the information is constantly send through to the unit via an fm signal that piggy backs onto local radio stations.

I am in no way claiming this to be a fantastic feature, however to claim the Navigon's is far better is just not true, at best it is the same. There is no doubt though that the new 1690T has a vastly superior traffic alert offering.

I would be very surprised if you were told anything different by an employee of Garmin.

Maybe whichever I go for I will not lose ;)
Got a debate going thats been interesting to follow cheers lads
Ding ding round 4 :rotfl:

2 years worth of map updates for approx. £17 is great value for the Navigon, and one of the reasons I decided to get the 4350max. Do Garmin come close to offering anything like that for the 265WT?

2 years worth of map updates for approx. £17 is great value for the Navigon, and one of the reasons I decided to get the 4350max. Do Garmin come close to offering anything like that for the 265WT?

Are you sure about the price? According to their website they cost £79.99 (£77.76 from Amazon), If it is correct then it's a great price.

Garmin do a lifetime map update, which means up to 4 updates per year for as long as you keep the product. This is available from Amazon at a cost of £79.66.

Hope this helps.

yes its £17 for quarterly updates for 2 years. There is a voucher code in the box when you buy it. Also, lifetime map updates are pretty pointless, as the map updates are not transferable between units, as you yourself seem to have changed your sat nav quite a lot, as with most people they will change them every 18months to 2 years to get the latest, more improved technology.

however to claim the Navigon's is far better is just not true, at best it is the same.

having used both systems, yes i can claim the Navigons traffic system and software is better. Tom toms is also better than the Garmin, just a shame they are so unreliable. Also, the Navigon does not need another cable stickered to the window like the TT and Garmin, its built in to the charger cable and works brilliantly. The charger cable on the garmin holds the tmc module, but this makes the cable bulky, and still requires the ariel to stick on the window.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom