Confused - DVI port also carry audio

zeroboo

Standard Member
I have a JNC 42' lcd tv. It is fully hdcp compatible but does HDMI via a DVI port on the tv. A HDMI to DVI cable is packaged with the tv.

I recently got the cambridge 89 dvdplayer. As most of you know, it has hdmi out.

Now, what i'm confused is, I use the hdmi-dvi cable to connect the 89 to my tv and i get sound!

I know hdmi includes sound output but how does the DVI on the other end process the sound? I thought DVI is display only and no sound?

if DVI can also carry sound then what's the point of HDMI?

thanks in advance for replies.

GrahamC

There are 2 types of DVI. DVI-D and DVI-I and one carries sound the other just the image.

ianh64

zeroboo said:
Now, what i'm confused is, I use the hdmi-dvi cable to connect the 89 to my tv and i get sound!
The player must be connected to something else generating audio - your hifi? Or JVC are using a DVI connector for HDMI and supplying a proprietry cable that also carries audio - possibly to avoid HDMI licensing fees.

zeroboo

Standard Member
ianh64 said:
The player must be connected to something else generating audio - your hifi? Or JVC are using a DVI connector for HDMI and supplying a proprietry cable that also carries audio - possibly to avoid HDMI licensing fees.

the only cables coming out of the DVD player is the Hdmi and power cable, nothing else.

hm... i guess it must be the latter.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom