Confused dot com (over 4K/UHD/1080P hdmi splitter)

cineman

Hi. I have a system where I had a Sky HD box and a Sony blu ray player feeding into both a Sony HDTV and an Optoma/Themescene 720P projector. I had a perfectly fine switchbox handling these feeding duties, with no problems and thought that it would still work for my new setup. This is the same PJ, but with a new Philips 'The One' 58pus8555/12 UHD TV and a Panasonic DP-UB820B UHD Blu ray Disc player. Well for some reason that I suppose is obvious, but cannot see it, anytime I want to use the PJ for a film night, I have to change over the hdmi cables, just so I can use this old machine again (recently been fitted with it's third bulb in 12 years, but still a perfect picture!) So I need a new hdmi switchbox that can handle UHD/4K and save me the bother of pulling all the equipment out of the unit, just to change cables over, if such a wee beastie exists? I found that Tesco sells a 'Tesco 4K Hdmi switch 3-way' splitter for £15.00, but this says that it only 'Supports up to 1080p resolution', which is of no use to me and it also said somewhere that it's only v1.4 which seems a little old and outdated. If anyone knows of a more up-to-date switchbox, that can somehow switch between UHD/HDR signals and SDR as necessary, I should be exremely grateful to you. (On another point, I am also confused about why, when cinema projectors can display 'Dolby Vision', why even the most expensive home cinema projectors cannot even get close! Which is why I don't yet have a new projector! But that's just me waffling on and is certainly for another post, so please feel free to ignore me on that bit!)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Re your HDMI Switch there are many variables which go into a switch including hardware and firmware and that is why there is such a huge range of options available to you.

HDMI is a designed as in 'interactive' connection where all devices in the signal path are made aware of each other being 'on the system' and each others capabilities - the folk who manufacturer HDMI Switch gear can then follow the plan or ignore it.

Where you have a mix of capabilities in your system you have to either configure your Source devices to always output a signal the least capable Sink (Display or audio system) caters for, send a trigger to the Source to change its settings depending on which Sink(s) is active or install a Switch which can process the incoming video and audio independently on its multiple Outputs to ensure everything works as required and no changes are ever required at the Source.

UHD to HD - can be achieved by processing within a Switch but adds cost to the system.

HDR to SDR - can be processed by a Switch but that costs a lot of money so it is usually less costly to simply toggle the Source between HDR and SDR depending on which Sink (Display) you are using.

'Toggling output formats' - on some Source devices is very simple or automated based on the EDID the Source receives whilst on other Source devices it can be a real hassle and not something many system users would enjoy, which is where a Switch which can process can be helpful.

DV - plenty folk happy with the results they get with DV from a Projector, though everyone would ideally want a bit more light output than is currently possible.

Joe

cineman

Thanks Joe. A lot to consider there. I think you're saying that, by adjusting the signal put out by the different devices, I should be able to change from using HDR to SDR, or UHD to HD to SD, without having to pull and push cables in and out all the time and moving the TV back and forth to access said cables! So far, I've had no trouble apart from different switchers breaking down occasionally and needing replacing. I would love a switching device that can do it all for me, but like you say that's probably very expensive.

So I suppose the best thing to ask is, if you were me, who already has a lot to do anyway and just wants a simple AV life, what would you do? Also, thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Other folk may have alternative suggestions - for me I have to try and provide something to our customers which takes away the hassle of dealing with a mixed capability system and currently the HDFury Vertex2 fits the bill for a lot of our customers, though not an inexpensive option.

If you are sure you will only ever have two Source devices the HDFury Integral2 or Vertex are also options -

Joe

cineman

Sorry for the late reply Joe. But OUCH! They are a little bit too pricey for me! I have no idea how many inputs and outputs I'm going to need in the future, so would need the Vertex 2. But I think I'll just stick to pushing and pulling cabinets and wires for a bit yet, as that's the cheapest option. Thanks for coming back to me so soon. I would have thought that £60 - £100 would be more than enough for what is essentially a small box with only one simple job to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom