Confused! does flashing red mean YLOD

goldwater666

:rolleyes:As title, I have heard of the "Yellow light of death" for the PS3 but mine today shut it self down with 3 beeps and I now have a flashing red light.

Left it to cool, in case it was from over heating but after initialy working for a few mins (long enough to get the disc out) it will not even power up.

Switch it on at the back, press the on button and no video, 3 beeps and back to the flashing red light:facepalm:

Is this the same, or similiar, fault to the infamous YLOD??

Also, anyone here used any sort of 3rd party repair company?

A quick internet search looks like I can get it collected, repaird and returned with a 3 month warranty for £79.99
I would prefer to have MY console back as there are some bits on the HDD I would like to retrive.

Or as anyone used Sony for a similar service - I know Sony will sell me a refurb replacement, but as above I would like to avoid that if possible.

Sorry for all the questions:D

Thanks to anyone who can help:thumbsup:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
no, thats not the YLOD, its overheated, if it turns off, and the red light blinks.
first step is to remove the harddrive and reseat it, see if that helps.
the blinking red light is either the harddrive or its overheated, and if its overheated, it takes a while to cool down, not just 5 or 10 minutes.

if the reseating the harddrive doesnt work, then you would have to phone sony to either fix it(overheating), or replace the harddrive(you could do it yourself, but its not 100% guarantee thats what it is).

there is also a quick fix(hairdryer method), that can bring the ps3 back to life - search on here for it, but as the YLOD is related more to the solder/board than anything else, and you only have the overheating error, it might not fix your issue, but if you are sending it off for a replacement/refurb..what do you have to lose..

goldwater666

Thanks Rottenfox, 1 more question

If I remove and reseat the harddrive, will it re-format and I loose everything on it?

I would assume with it being the same HDD then it would not?

Speedy'

Would the mods appreciate a small guide on YLOD ?

There is understandably a lot of confusion over what exactly YLOD is and represents.

Stuey1

When you try and turn the console back on does it show any kind of yellow light?

It does sound alot like when mine had YLOD. I did get mine repaired but i cant say it has been problem free since - it has had to go back once whilst under the 3 month warranty.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Thanks Rottenfox, 1 more question

If I remove and reseat the harddrive, will it re-format and I loose everything on it?

I would assume with it being the same HDD then it would not?

No, you wont lose anything..it will be fine if removed then reseated.

goldwater666

When you try and turn the console back on does it show any kind of yellow light?

It does sound alot like when mine had YLOD. I did get mine repaired but i cant say it has been problem free since - it has had to go back once whilst under the 3 month warranty.

ummmm...did not notice any yellow light...will plug it back in and have a look when I get in.

It seemed to go from green to flashing red.

Off to search you tube on how to reseat the hard drive:smashin:

Where did you get yours repaired, Sony or a 3rd party?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
PS3 on - Green light - Yellow light - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = YLOD.
PS3 on - Ps3 Shuts Down/3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = Internally Overheating.
PS3 Off, then switched on - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = Component Failure/Overheating*/Harddrive Failure.
PS3 stuck on standby/Alternate Flashing Red/Green lights - Component Failure/Overheating*.
*=obviously not overheating from cold.

Disk drive will only read certain discs, eg: dvd's or blu-rays, but not both = Blu-ray drive/laser failure.
Disk drive will not read any discs = Blu-ray drive/laser failure.

thats pretty much it..

Last edited:

anorax25

PS3 on - Green light - Yellow light - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = YLOD.
PS3 on - Ps3 Shuts Down/3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = Internally Overheating.
PS3 Off, then switched on - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = Component Failure/Overheating*/Harddrive Failure.
PS3 stuck on standby/Alternate Flashing Red/Green lights - Component Failure/Overheating*.
*=obviously not overheating from cold.

Disk drive will only read certain discs, eg: dvd's or blu-rays, but not both = Blu-ray drive/laser failure.
Disk drive will not read any discs = Blu-ray drive/laser failure.

thats pretty much it..

Mine died today. The symptoms are much like your first diagnosis. The Yellow light is displayed for a fraction of a second before the red flashing LED. Tried reseating the HDD, same. Is this the YLOD?

Col.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Mine died today. The symptoms are much like your first diagnosis. The Yellow light is displayed for a fraction of a second before the red flashing LED. Tried reseating the HDD, same. Is this the YLOD?

Col.

Yep, when you get that brief flash of yellow, its the YLoD.

anorax25

Yep, when you get that brief flash of yellow, its the YLoD.

Thanks RottenFox! Already boxed up and ready to go off to Colchester!

Col.

Speedy'

Rotten Fox, would you mind if I did a guide on YLOD? So we can have more of a dedicated topic for it (to help new users and hopefully draw new conclusions)..?

It works well on AfterDawn

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Have you got one on there ??

NatD

Morning! This happened to me last night.

Its an original 60gb version. Not had any problems over the 4 years I've had it, but we were streaming a movie and after 10 minutes, it just shut itself down, started beeping, and the Red Light started flashing......!

I am well out of warranty, and will have a nosey through some other Tech forums to see what can be done about repairing it!!!!! More gutted about all my saved data at the moment. What an expensive month this is turning out to me. Just back from Dubai, the lens on my Canon 450D broke over there, and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a sticky at the top of this forum which has been useful thanks. I was just wondering if I get it repaired, am I best getting Sony to do it or a Third Party, and would anyone have any contact details / recommendations?

NatD

PS3 on - Green light - Yellow light - 3 Beeps - Flashing Red Light = YLOD

Just tried it again, and the above describes exactly what happens to it!!!!

Having read the forum, does anyone not think it's a bit weird so many 60gb models have done this in the past week since the last software update, or am I not accepting things and clutching at straws....?

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Having read the forum, does anyone not think it's a bit weird so many 60gb models have done this in the past week since the last software update, or am I not accepting things and clutching at straws....?

that's the conspiracy theory...but to put it in context...how many slims have bitten the dust/not even had enough time to gather dust, as they are faulty(noisy, not working with certain things, ala freezing, etc).

how many people have gone through multiple slims, in the short time they have been on the market..
with seeing the build quality of some, with the thermal compound inside, and the fan noise issues / whining / grating / freezing..just how long will they last..??

anorax25

Morning! This happened to me last night.

Its an original 60gb version. Not had any problems over the 4 years I've had it, but we were streaming a movie and after 10 minutes, it just shut itself down, started beeping, and the Red Light started flashing......!

I am well out of warranty, and will have a nosey through some other Tech forums to see what can be done about repairing it!!!!! More gutted about all my saved data at the moment. What an expensive month this is turning out to me. Just back from Dubai, the lens on my Canon 450D broke over there, and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a sticky at the top of this forum which has been useful thanks. I was just wondering if I get it repaired, am I best getting Sony to do it or a Third Party, and would anyone have any contact details / recommendations?

I've shipped mine off today to the following ( which is an updated link from another somewhere )....
Repairs-Direct.com - Sign in to your account

It's £79.99 for the YLOD repair including collection, repair and re-delivery.

Col.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I've shipped mine off today to the following ( which is an updated link from another somewhere )....
Repairs-Direct.com - Sign in to your account

It's £79.99 for the YLOD repair including collection, repair and re-delivery.

Col.

you could have phoned sony, and paid around £110-£120 for a refurb/repair with a 1 year warranty, rather than 90 days..

NatD

I think I am gonna do the hairdryer trick to get it working and then get it into Game.

They have an extra 20% on trade in at the moment, so that's £140 for my PS3 and I can get a 250gb slim for £140 cash.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom