Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Confused Cable Guy

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SpeakerboxDude, Mar 18, 2004.

1. SpeakerboxDude

SpeakerboxDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I must admit I seriously have no clue when it comes to cables. Looking at the back of an A/V receiver just makes me dizzy and that's before I have checked out all the cable accessory websites.

Bascially I'm planning on buying the following setup and would like some advice..any advice would be great:

2 Minipod speakers
    1 Sub-woofer (around 100watt), still haven't decided on which one
    1 A/V receiver, probably Sony STRDB790 or Denon AVR-1604 but still looking at similar models
    1 PC, speaker output

*To connect my PC's speaker output to the A/V receiver can I use either a SPDIF (from PC) >Optical input (to amp) or a standard 1/8 jack (from PC) > 2 RCA input left/right (to amp)?

*To connect the two minipods to the A/V receiver should I use 4mm Banana plugs? Are these two plugs on each end so two plugs go in the back of each minipod and two go into the back of each inputs of the A/V receiver? Is the sub connected in the same way?

With regards to the interconnect cables I'm not sure whether I need these or not? I don't need any video connections for the moment as I will be using my DVD-ROM on my laptop so for the audio (from DVD/mp3s) is my main concern.

Also I'm not sure whether I need to know about 12 gauge, 13 gauge or 18 gauge cables? Is this some American denomination?

Sorry if it seems like my knowledge here is extremely ignorant (lol) but I have read as many articles as possible and the more I read the more I get confused. Plus I have also read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Thanks to any of you guys for the help :smashin: