Confused by streaming quality vs CD

imacken

I know there are a lot of threads on this sort of question, but a lot are out of date, so I'm sorry to ask this again.
Can someone simply advise me on the quality of various streaming options vs CD?
I have a Marantz PM7000N, and have tried Airplay2, Amazon Music and Spotify and compared to a CD. Have tried various services via HEOS as well as from Alexa/Siri.
Amazon Music is supposedly Ultra HD on my membership, and I believe Apple Music something similar.
Are there differences between streaming from Airplay - Apple Music or Amazon Music HD app - via my iPhone, and streaming direct in HEOS?
My immediate feeling is that CDs on my Marantz CD6007 have more presence, but I could be wrong!
What is the general feeling on this, and what are the facts on streaming service bit rates, etc.?
Any help appreciated!

larkone

At the end of the day your ears are the best way to test what sounds best to you. You can read google hundreds of articles regarding your question but what is most important is what do you enjoy?

ashenfie

Amazon maybe HD but the quality is not that good, try Qobuz and use that as your reference point

Cebolla

My general feeling is that you don't appear to have simply compared which of the two devices you prefer, using music of which you can be certain about being derived from the same source, ie, your own CDs (& rips thereof) and downloads.

Perhaps, then you can try to decipher the lottery of what the various online music services use to source their tracks from and the many other variables you are throwing in with that, such as: the quality of the audio compression (lossy or lossless, if lossy what bitrate) & audio resolution (hi-res or CD-res) of the music file tracks; the streaming technology being used (old AirPlay, AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, HEOS, UPnP, Chromecast, etc); the music streaming service client apps you are using; what devices you are running the apps on; etc.

Last edited:

gava

CD quality is fine for playback. Doesn't really matter which streaming service you use - choose the one that gives you the selection of music you like.

With the Marantz I would recommend using UPnP client on your phone and streaming from Qobuz - you can play HiRes that way if you want to.

Khazul

Comparing streaming vs CD is only meaningful when both involve exactly the same audio data (master) played back at exactly the same level via the same DAC with exactly the same processing (leveling for eg). When all of this can all be verified, then I find there is no difference.

Otherwise there are generally far too many variables to draw any meaningful conclusion on way or the other.

When comparing different devices, then the big difference is likely to be the device itself (DAC and associated circuits). Also some devices may resample to a new sample clock as a means of synchronization. When leveling is done then there are circumstances when this can cause differences as well even at same apparent playback SPL, hence why to compare you need to be sure of any processing as well.

imacken

CD quality is fine for playback. Doesn't really matter which streaming service you use - choose the one that gives you the selection of music you like.

With the Marantz I would recommend using UPnP client on your phone and streaming from Qobuz - you can play HiRes that way if you want to.

Thanks for that. I have IOS devices, so I bought mconnect Player and signed up for trial on Qobuz. However, I have the same issue that others reported on the thread you linked to, i.e. mconnect does not see my PM7000N on the UPnP device list.
So, at the moment, I can't use this method at all!

Whiting

Just to update, mconnect sees the Marantz device VERY rarely, but has never seen my Yamaha RX-V483.

I have the same issue. Not sure if it's down to the Marantz as the list of available devices shown in mconnect is never consistent (although, oddly, my LG TV always seems to be available).

I find that if the Heos app can see the amp then, if I restart (i.e. force close) the mconnect app a few of times, it will eventually turn up. It's fiddly and annoying but quite stable once connected.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom