1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused by progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jack's Dad, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Jack's Dad

Jack's Dad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently bought a 4805 and as this has Faroudja processing built in I expected to feed it an interlaced dvd signal and let it do the deinterlacing and scaling.

however, the manual, and the guys at Sevenoaks say that I should use a progressive scan output from my dvd player.

Doing this does seem to give the best picture, but I'm just a little confused as its not what I expected. Does the Faroudja processing handle deinterlacing or just scaling?

cheers.

ps - I'm using a Pioneer 575 dvd player.

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    This puzzles me i get the two mixed up i have a good quality dvd player with component [ interlaced ] and thought the infocus models would convert signal to progressive is this right ?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The issue is which component, DVD player or projector, has the better deinterlacer/scaler (if scaling comes into it) .. clearly in your case the 575 wins. :) AFAIK the Faroudja is a combined deinterlacer/scaler.

Any digital display will do its' own deinterlacing if fed interlaced, it has to, but if the source is better at it then use that.

You can also mix-and-match, use the source's deinterlacer and the display's scaler if that's the best combination.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I have read that the 4805's Faroudja processes progressive scan images better than most DVD players below £600. Certainly when I send an interlaced signal from my Panasonic DVD player which has prog scan, the image was much better ( brighter and sharper) than when sent with the prog scan signal.
    But as KraGorn said, it does indeed depend on the quality of the prog scan in your player.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would agree, I'd expect the Faroudja to be far better, by reputation, than the 575, but if the actual results don't show that then I'm somewhat bemused but personally have no experience of a Faroudja-based component.

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    so as my sony nv900 dvd player is non progressive i can expect poor results ?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no, i think the sevenoaks monkeys are confused..... try it in both interlaced and prog scan modes use what looks better..........
    if you want proof go get a pio 575 form RS (£99) and ask them if it will be better if they say yes then tell them you will return it if no improvement
    You will either be happy with current DVD player or have a new one for £99

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, that's not what we're saying :) .. what it does mean is that the quality of the image you get will depend on the projector alone, you don't have the option of using a deinterlacer in the player. The results usually won't be 'poor' but often the deinterlacer in projectors is not of the highest quality, Jack's Dad's experience is very puzzelling with regards to the Faroudja.

I presume you won't be too happy hearing the alternative which is to fork out £900 or so on an external deinterlacer/scaler.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £600.........

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which one for £600? Just a deinterlacer or scaler too?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, bad comment by me .. brought about because I'm looking at an HD+ or HDP and hadn't taken much notice of the older devices like the Ultra which would be a perfectly capable deinterlacer.

In my defence though, I was suggesting a VAT-inclusive price £900 allowing for the price of an HD or DVI. :)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes the HD/HD+ and HDP are just under £1k but on a £1300 PJ a bit of overkill...........but an ultra can offer very good imporvements for DVD/SKy etc over PJ internal unit... better to spend £450 on an ultra (£300 S/H) rather than replace a good interlaced player like the Sony with a £450 DVD player (Arcam DV88+ are £500 at creative :smashin: )

14. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Well one of the reasons i went for a more expensive projector [infocus 7200] was because of the Faroudja onboard. I hoped this would save me buying another dvd player until high def players come out. Looks like i might as well go for a sony hs50 and seperate de-interlacer. :mad:

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think it's hard to judge from just one person's situation, it does sound odd that the Faroudja seems to be beaten by the 575 .. what setup have you got?

16. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    If this post isn't to me :blush: sorry if is , i have not got projector yet but did see a 5700 running an arcam interlaced signal [was told it wasn't sending progressive] the image looked superb !

17. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, I was asking about your system, from the what you had said I thought you'd already bought an Infocus ..

I didn't really that 'went for' meant you had decided rather than you had bought.

Not sure what to say, except that the old mantra when buying A/V gear always applies .. demo, demo and demo. :)

18. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    had demo got deposit on infocus, its just guy said my dvd player would work very well with it. is this a crock of **** then

19. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The Faroudja De-interlacer fitted to ALL the current line up of InFocus Screenplay projectors, from the 4805 to the 7205 is the same and is currently the best Faroudja offer. This means that all you need is a DVD player with a component connection. It does not have to be progressive scan.
    It's only when you get very serious about your system that you will think the Faroudja is not good enough. It beats the de-interlacer in most sub-£600 progressive scan DVD players and Jack's Dad's experience saying that his fairly budget Pioneer looks better than the Infocus when doing the progressive scanning might be down to settings, connections or a fault with his particular projector because one would expect the Faroudja in the Infocus to beat the Pioneer 575 hands down.

20. Jack's Dad

Jack's Dad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys. You seem to be saying what I thought - ie the Faroudja SHOULD be the best option.

I tried out the different combos when I first set up the pj, so I may revisit it - although I don't expect to be changing my mind, but we'll see.

Interestingly though, the manual does talk about progressive scan inputs (albeit rather briefly), and makes no mention of interlaced signals providing a better option.

still a little confused really.