Confused by led strip lightning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by indus, Aug 11, 2013.

1. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Hi

I'm refurbing my house at the moment and would like to install some led strip lighting in various rooms. It will be fitted by the sparky of my builder but he may not have specifically done led strip before.

Anyway, starting with the kitchen:

I'd like led strip lighting around the plinths and there are about four separate different runs in the kitchen ie a central island, a sink run etc.

1) I don't want four separate switches so that if I want all four runs to be lit up I've got to press four buttons. Is this possible and if so how would you do it.

2) I'd like the switch to be wall mounted next to the main lighting dimmer switch. What do I need to tell the sparky to do in the first instance? Does he just need to run a normal lighting wire from the wall mounted switch to somewhere the transformer can be hidden?

And then from there I can connect up the transformer and run the strip lighting as I like?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions! Many thanks for your help

2. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Depends on what you buy and where from. You buy the foreign import stuff your sparky may not touch it.
    But in theory yes you can hook it up to a single plug socket. Your electrician will surely know how to do that.

3. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    To prevent dimming, just run 1.5mm csa 16A cable between all the strip areas then back to the power supply.
    If you are using cool white or warm white strips you'll need 2 core cable, for CT dual white strips you'll need 3 core cable and for RGB strips you'll need 4 core cable. For RGB strips you'll need an LED controller as well.

The light switch can be used to switch mains to the 12V power supply as you were suggesting.

4. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192

Hi STT:)

I'd like RGB strips, so to be clear;

By power supply I presume you mean some kind of 12v transformer?

In which case could I have one 12v power supply and run sets of four core cable from there to each strip area? In other words are there 12v power supplies that can run multiple outputs?

Or would there be a separate 12v supply for each strip area?

If the latter then that means each 12v supply would have to go back to one light switch, is that possible?

Again, sorry as I know these are really basic questions.

5. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    OK - can you estimate the lengths of each RGB strip in meters that you need.

6. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I'll measure up tomorrow and report back tomorrow. I'll post some pics as well so it all makes more sense.

Many thanks