• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

confused by HD Ready & 1080 panel

kevbro

Standard Member
hi,
this is my first post, and I am confused by full HD & HD ready.
as a pensioner, my budget was limited, and have just purchased my first LCD -
a 32" Sony KDL32S5500 which suits my needs.

compared to my old CRT I am very happy with it, and am aware from other postings that it is cannot do full HD,
and that this is virtually irrelevant on such a small screen.

what does confuse me is this 1080 bit !

I have seen on here that it has a 1080 panel,
Sony website shows it having a 1080i interlaced video mode (whatever that is) ....
yet Richer sounds say it has only 1366x768 pixels

so how can something with only 1366 pixels be a 1080 panel and do video at 1080 ? ...
and how many pixels does Full HD need

if anyone can clarify this for me (in terms a dummy can understand) I would be very grateful.
thanks,
Kevin

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
1080 (or 720) is the vertical resolution in pixels for HD content.

If your TV receives a full 1080 HD signal (like from a Bluray player), it'll have to map down from 1080 to the actual 768 in the panels.

When watching Freeview in standard resolution, the TV will have to take the 576 lines in the broadcast and upscale to match the 768 pixels in the panel. Which is why upscaled standard Freeview looks a bit rough on HD/HD Ready TVs.

ilise

hi,
this is my first post, and I am confused by full HD & HD ready.
as a pensioner, my budget was limited, and have just purchased my first LCD -
a 32" Sony KDL32S5500 which suits my needs.

compared to my old CRT I am very happy with it, and am aware from other postings that it is cannot do full HD,
and that this is virtually irrelevant on such a small screen.

what does confuse me is this 1080 bit !

I have seen on here that it has a 1080 panel,
Sony website shows it having a 1080i interlaced video mode (whatever that is) ....
yet Richer sounds say it has only 1366x768 pixels

so how can something with only 1366 pixels be a 1080 panel and do video at 1080 ? ...
and how many pixels does Full HD need

if anyone can clarify this for me (in terms a dummy can understand) I would be very grateful.
thanks,
Kevin

1080i interlaced video mode MEANS that your tv can accept 1080i signal but then it downscales it to its native resolution which is 1360 x 768 pixels. However your tv may not do the same from a source outputing 1080p signal and may display a black screen instead
Nick

[email protected]

I'll have a go at putting it into layman's language -

Your TV's not full HD, as you know, and that doesn't matter on a 32", especially if you're happy with the picture.

If it only has 768 pixels in height it can obviously only display 768 'lines', not 1080. 1080i means the picture is 'interpolated', in other words it artificially recreates a higher definition picture by interlacing the frames of picture faster than the eye can see.

1080p is full HD. P stands for 'progressive' and it means that the TV can show 1080 lines of picture without having to 'cheat' by interlacing. So it can give a clearer, sharper picture, though for many people the difference is very hard to spot, especially on smaller screens, .

Don't fret about 'HD ready'. It's a vague term so sloppily used as to be almost meaningless.

Sounds like you made a good purchase, so sit back and enjoy the show. It's very unlikely you will ever attach any player to the TV that it won't be able to show. Modern TVs can cope with all sorts of standards.

(waits to get backside kicked by people with a better grasp of the technicals)

kevbro

Standard Member
thanks a lot to you all ....
it is much clearer now, and it appears that the only problem I could experience in future would be with 1080P sources.

would it be cheeky to ask what kind of devices ouput 1080P so that I can avoid them ?

I have no interest at my age in games consoles etc, and the only next purchase I would consider would be a SKY HD box ....
would that be any use on my Sony ?

thanks again,
Kevin

dvdcompare

Sky+ HD box will be fine. No UK broadcasters transmit 1080p, they only transmit 1080i. On Sky you can change the output to 720p if needed.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
1080i means the picture is 'interpolated', in other words it artificially recreates a higher definition picture by interlacing the frames of picture faster than the eye can see.

1080p is full HD. P stands for 'progressive' and it means that the TV can show 1080 lines of picture without having to 'cheat' by interlacing. So it can give a clearer, sharper picture, though for many people the difference is very hard to spot, especially on smaller screens, .

No backside kicking but have to correct the above. Broadcast HD such as BBCHD, Sky sports HD etc is sent as 1080i. i.e. it sends 2 successive fields of 540 lines that are interlaced to provide a 1080 line picture. It does this at 50 fields per second giving a frame rate of 25 frames per second. There is no interpolation! - this only occurs where TV's are 100HZ, 200HZ etc.. LCD's and PDP's can however only display a progressive scan so the TV has to de-interlace the picture before display. It then progressively displays at 1080 at 25 frames per second. In the case of a 768x1366 TV this is then downscaled also. As has been said this is not a significant problem when viewed on a 32" TV

One factor IMHO that separates good TV's from poor ones is their competence at de-interlacing broadcast HD feeds.

ilise

thanks a lot to you all ....
it is much clearer now, and it appears that the only problem I could experience in future would be with 1080P sources.

would it be cheeky to ask what kind of devices ouput 1080P so that I can avoid them ?

I have no interest at my age in games consoles etc, and the only next purchase I would consider would be a SKY HD box ....
would that be any use on my Sony ?

thanks again,
Kevin

Dear Kevin,
You wont have any problems with skyHD since it transmits 1080i.
Blu ray players can output 1080p/24fps and you may have a problem if the setup of the player is incorrect. However if during the video setup you assign the video output (through HDMI) either auto or 1080i then you wont have any problems.
Please note that what I wrote applies only when your tv and the blu ray are connected by using a HDMI lead. Other type(s) of connection (but the component one) give standard definition so no problem there. However the picture then would not be HD but SD instead.
Nick

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom