1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused by Freeview/HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by uberf1end, Sep 4, 2005.

1. uberf1end

uberf1end

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked a million times but I have had a look and can't find anything that quite fits my query...

I have a Phillips HDD Recorder and a Phillips Freeview box (I assumed this would help with connectivity).

However, I cannot work out if it is possible to record a digital signal via the freeview box whilst watching a different channel.

I can normally work this sort of business out by my brain is unable to follow the logic...

The HDD Recorder came with a strange little additional infrared thingy which I believe is supposed to enable them to talk in some way but I cannot work out its purpose (if indeed it has one that I need).

The DVD will pass the signal through when turned off so, at the moment the freeview is not connected to the TV at all and all passes through the DVD HDD Recorder...

Apologies for the lack of useful information but I have been 'out of the game' for some time and am not up with the terminology etc of this arena...

Any help much appreciated.

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The DVD recorder will accept and record a signal from the Freeview box via the RGB connection, but it won't be a digital transfer.

The infrared "thingy" is to allow the DVD recorder to change the channel on the Freeview box prior to making a recording from that source.

For your other question, do you mean "Can I watch an analogue channel through the DVDR tuner whilst recording a Freeview progamme through the RGB in?"

You may also attract more specific and skilful help if you let us know the model number of the Philips units (eg HDRW720/725).

Over to you, Jethro...

3. uberf1end

uberf1end

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, it is indeed the HDRW720. Unfortunately, now I am at work, I haven't got access to the Freeview box but it is a cheapo freeview only one (no card slot), it does have two scarts though.

To be clear, what I am really asking is, is it possible to watch a digital channel whilst you record a different one?

I got the impression that the DVD should be able to use it's 'scart through' ability to just pass the signal through for viewing, whilst another signal is recorded (I cannot work out why there would need to be both a scart connection and a normal RF connection between the two boxes otherwise)

In order to do this, I assume I would need to tune the channels on the DVD recorder to show the digital channels.

The Freeview box is currently set to channel EXT2 on the DVD and I have been trying to tune channels 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to the digital versions of those channels but it will only seem to find the analogue versions. I began to think it maybe wasn't possible to tune the digital versions in until I checked channel 6 (on the DVD) and I have somehow managed to tune this to ITV2 so I know it is possible, I just can't work it out!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    How many digital tuners do you have?

The answer to this question will give you the answer you are looking for. If you have one digital tuner, you can use it to receive one digital channel at a time. You can use this for watching or recording (or do both) but one tuner = one channel.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's because the DVD only has an analogue tuner. The signal you get from the Freeview box has already had its channel determined by what you select on its remote. This is then decoded and sent via scart to the DVD.
    You can only watch one digital channel and record another if you have two digital tuners and (as far as I know) you freeview box only has one. If it had two you could send one to the TV and one to the DVD - but the freeview box wouls till determine the channel.

You will always be unable to select different digital channels on the DVD you have - only get the one that is being sent to its EXT2.

The only DVD/HDDs with digital tuners so far are Panasonic and Sony (both quite expensive).
    The Toshiba 34 has an IR transmitter which will change channels on your Freeview box, providing the box is compatible, but it has no automatic timer setting system.
    The Pioneer 530 and better do the same, but download a program guide from GuidePlus so you have something like a digital 7 day EPG on the DVD to work the freeview box, again providing the box is compatible (see http://www.europe.guideplus.com/ for compatible freeview boxes).

So if you've just bought the Philips you may be able to exchange it if you fancy something more like what you were after.