• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Confused by bytes and bits, please help!

futureal33

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am getting confused between bits, bytes, megabytes and how all of these are important when looking at NAS Drives & Media Streamers.

Ive done the basic maths, and a 10GB MKV movie file = 10,000 MB
Assuming this movie is 2hrs (120 minutes), this works out at 83.33MB/minute
That then works out at 1.388MB/sec

Im really considering getting a Buffalo NAS drive to push content to my Media Centre (WD TV Live) and checking its reviews on here this drive reads at around 30MB/sec.

Assuming I will be using a Gigabit ethernet connection between the drive and my WD TV Live - will this give me any streaming issues?

Gigabit streaming = 1000Mbit/sec = 125MB/sec

So my drive will be performing below the speed of my Gigabit network...

Am I getting overly concerned here, or do I need to think this carefully when buying a NAS to stream 1080p MKV filess to my WD TV Live?

Can anyone help?

bubblegum57

You are being overly concerned.

Network speeds are nowhere near the stated values.

Most media players will play HD without stuttering over a wired network, or home plugs.

HD movies will not play perfectly over a wireless network.

futureal33

Standard Member
So pretty much any NAS will have a fast enough read speed to push a 1080p mkv file to a media player over a gigabit wired network?

bubblegum57

Yep

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom