Confused by all the models

Daneel

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I will be looking at pre/pros in the near future and am considering a Tag. Having a read of the website and a number of threads i am still totally confused about what models are what, how much they are worth and what they are capable of.

I am after good movie performance and excellent stereo sound. Should I be looking at Tag at all (the impression I get is they are good for movies, not so hot on music)?

How do the Tags stack up against the competition? Lexicon/Arcam AV8/various Meridian which also confuse the hell out of me etc.

When I get around to buying one i'll be looking at spending around £1500 maybe £2k if I feel it's justified. I will almost certainly be going 2nd hand.

There are three processors in the TMA range, with different available configurations for each.
1.)Entry Level AV30R, basic 5.1 version RRP £1700.00, fully loaded 7.1 £2300.00
2.)Mid range AV32R single processor THX Ultra, basic 5.1 version RRP £2550.00, fully loaded 7.1 version £3000.00
3.)Upper mid range AV32R dual processor THX Ultra2, £4000.00
4.)Top of range AV192R THX Ultra2, depending on spec from £6000.00 to £18000.00

Daneel
Do a Google search on
"TAG McLaren Audio on sale"
and you'll see that plenty of dealers are offloading their TAG gear. You'll get an AV32R from £1500 upwards. Got for the 192 bypass model at least or any model upwards

AV32R makes very nice sounds in stereo. The base 5.1 THX is far better than people make out. You could look for one of those if you really do only want stereo and movies.

However, £1500 should get you a AV32R 192 7.1 with 5.1 bypass and probably DAB module nowadays. I expect prices may fall significantly in the coming months so it may be wise to hang on.

I'll be after that model soon but with the recent news I'll be holding off to see what happens.

Won't stop me buying a Tag though as they are simply fantastic processors. I would want to know that I can at least get it repaired though, if not upraded. I suspect that there will be 3rd party repairers coming along anyway.

As for the competition. For stereo the AV8 may have the edge, although I have yet to hear the AV32R dual processor. Either way, there's little in it and you would be pleased with either. They differ mainly in style, rather than quality. I preffer the Tag sound. I have little experience of Lex or Meridian so won't comment.

I ALWAYS listen to my CDs with TMSurround 5 + Sub these days. The biggest benefit in sound comes from the centre channel in my opinion.
A friend has a great sounding Meridian set-up and he always listens in Tri-Field.
I've also heard Lex's Logic7 and again 2 channel music benefits from it my opinion.
Give it a go!

Neither Arcam or Lexicon have TMREQ though, which in my opinion makes for a big performance gap. I understand the new Meridian G series do but dont know if its as sophisticated as TMAs.

Thanks for the info guys, things are clearer now. Just one more thing:

4.)Top of range AV192R THX Ultra2, depending on spec from £6000.00 to £18000.00

What the hell can you add to take it up to £18k!?

[Edit] TMREQ?

EQ in some form would be very nice. I think I would really miss it (I know it's basic on the Pioneer but it does wonders for clearing up a poorly positioned centre channel for example.

correction to above! I understand Meridians G series has a parametric equalizer (obviousely not TMREQ)

Can anyone elaborate on TMREQ?

I googled but the link to the Tag site that explains it isn't working. Is it PEQ? How many bands? Does it eliminate the need for a BFD for the sub? Is it available on all the models?

Daneel
It's available only for 32DS and 192. As I only have the 32SP I haven't used it myself.
However the general feeling is that you can't do without it! It really is that good apparently.
You also need the TMREQ Wizard which was downloadable FOC from the TAG website (which I did, just in case..). You also need a mic or SPL meter feeding a decent soundcard into a computer and analysing software to plot the curves.
Once that's been done you load the calibrations into the 32DP or 192 and Bob's yer auntie

Daneel, I have it on my AV32R DP and was the first person to have it professionaly set up by TMA themselves in my home. In a nut shell TMREQ is a full band width 24bit 96khz parametric equalizer with up to eight filters per channel (centre, sub etc) What it does is it flattens the in room response of all your speakers almost completely removing all room resonances ( frequency peaks and troughs) and "bass boom" giving an incredible distortion free clean sound. It works 100%! and in my opinion is the most undersold feature that put TMA well ahead of most of the competition.

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful, I just need to have a listen now :)

Has anyone seen any AV32r-DP's going cheep? Preferably in black?

Thanks.

Could anyone explain what all the letters actually stand for? I assume the 192 is 192KHz dacs but what about BP, DS, etc stand for? I'd like to but an upgradable model (I understand the AV30R isn't upgradable) thats good with stereo and movies (possible stereo bypass?) but dont need/want more than 5 channels or radio etc. Which model should I look at? Is there anywhere that list all the models available (now and previously) and approximate cost of upgrade path?

Liam.

AV32R - basic model, can be upgraded to PL2 in software.
+ or EX - 7.1 version, most recent AV32Rs are 7.1
DAB - optional internal DAB tuner
192 - Updated 192kHz DACs
bp - 6 channel/3 stereo bypass, includes the 192kHz DACs
DP or DS - new SHARC DSPs, can do room EQ and PL2x among other new things. A new DP processor is 7.1, has the bypass and new DACs.

If the unit has been upgraded from it's original spec then it can be pretty much any combination of the above. My AV32R has the new DACs and dual processor upgrade, but is 5.1 and has no bypass.

Thanks for your reply mate, that made it a lot clearer. :)
I take it then that the bypass is for DVD-A and SACD and that standard stereo bypass is included in all models (for connection of a analogue cdp for example?)
How much (roughly, I understand things are changing!) are the upgrades to 192 DACS and the Sharc DSPS? I am wondering if it is better to get a more basic AV32R (poss 2nd hand) and upgrade or cheaper to buy a 192 DS/DP to start with !? :confused:

Cheers, Liam.

The bypass can be configured as 5.1 inputs or 3 stereo pairs, they bypass all processing so you can't use any surround modes. The normal analogue inputs on the AV32R are digitised at 20bit 96kHz, though IIRC this drops to 48kHz when using Pro Logic or PL2 (the DP doesn't have this limitation).

It's very likely that it would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand AV32R with the spec you want rather than upgrading. The DP upgrade was about £1500 if I remember.

Tell me, can you assign the 5.1 bypass to an input, like 'CD' for instance? I mean, if I want to use the analogue outputs of a CD/SACD player, can I call it CD or does it have to be 'multi in' or something. Also, if it's set to the multi input and you turn it off, will it still be set to that when you turn it back on?

My Rotel winds me up as I listen to SACD's a lot and have to keep pressing the multi button everytime I switch it on. I prefer a system like on a Denon amp where you can assign the multi input to a partivular channel and it's always there.

I had a basic AV32R and have been tentatively looking for another with the bypass, maybe even a DP.

You can name any of the inputs yourself and call them anything you like and you can associate any audio input with any video input. Total flexibility!

Sorry for all the questions but do all models have component video in/out?

Liam.

Only the AV192 doeswith the right options

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom