Confused - Blu-ray sound and picture on separate HDMI inputs

RayP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My kit is in my sig. The problem I cannot solve has started after adding the Oppo UDP-203 4K player to my system.

My TV has 4 HDMI inputs configured as follows:-

HDMI 1 = Yamaha RX-A3010 AV Amp
HDMI 2 = Oppo UDP203 player
HDMI 3 = Sky Q

The Oppo has two HDMI outputs. The Main one goes to the TV in HDMI 2 and carries picture only. The second Oppo HDMI output is sound only and goes to HDMI AV2 on the Yamaha.

If I select HDMI 1 on the TV I hear the sound from the Oppo in 5.1 through the amp but no picture is shown on the TV. The amp shows L,C,R,SL,SR and Sub channels.

If I select HDMI 2 on the TV I see the BD being played but there is no sound. The amp only shows L and R.

Why is the sound only audible when the amp is the selected source rather than the Oppo? I may be missing the bleeding obvious but I just can't see the solution.

I think I have sorted it. The above scenario was with the HDMI cable from the amp to the TV connected. Removing it and selecting the Oppo as the source on the TV has restored the sound in all its 5.1 glory.

What I don't understand is why I have to remove the HDMI cable from amp to TV to achieve this.

Hi Ray

While I'm not sure I would agree with Dante that HDMI 2 is outputting video, I wouldn't 100% discount it either. The below from Oppo's website intrigued me slightly.

The player features two HDMI outputs – an HDMI 2.0 port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and A/V receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers. Customers with newer 4K- and HDR-capable A/V receivers can use a full HDMI 2.0 signal path, while customers with older A/V receivers can have a split A/V setup.

I know you clearly know your stuff, but is there any possibility that you may have inadvertently overlooked a "Split A/V" setting requirement in the Oppo's audio set up menu ?

Had you also experimented with switching around your TV HDMI inputs ?

Talking of your TV - nice :cool: Are you pleased with it ?

Hi Ray

While I'm not sure I would agree with Dante that HDMI 2 is outputting video, I wouldn't 100% discount it either. The below from Oppo's website intrigued me slightly.

The player features two HDMI outputs – an HDMI 2.0 port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and A/V receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers. Customers with newer 4K- and HDR-capable A/V receivers can use a full HDMI 2.0 signal path, while customers with older A/V receivers can have a split A/V setup.

I know you clearly know your stuff, but is there any possibility that you may have inadvertently overlooked a "Split A/V" setting requirement in the Oppo's audio set up menu ?

I think the reference to split AV just means the video and audio are handled separately by the Oppo. Looking through the Oppo's menu there is no reference to split AV. What I think happens is that if the second audio-only HDMI is connected sound is muted automatically on the main HDMI.

Had you also experimented with switching around your TV HDMI inputs ?
No because the TV is wall-mounted and getting access is a little tricky.

Talking of your TV - nice :cool: Are you pleased with it ?

Oh yes. :) Blacks are really black. Having moved from plasma I thought that handled them well but this is in a different league. And the Oppo handles standard DVDs really well too. This sound problem is an irritant but nothing more and if I do want the Yamaha menu it's just a case of plugging an HDMI cable back in.

Oh yes. :) Blacks are really black. Having moved from plasma I thought that handled them well but this is in a different league. And the Oppo handles standard DVDs really well too. This sound problem is an irritant but nothing more and if I do want the Yamaha menu it's just a case of plugging an HDMI cable back in.

Good to hear. Loewe is out if my league, but I hope that Panny or Sony have an affordable OLED sometime soon - I can't bring myself to actually buy something with an LG badge :eek:.

Good to hear. Loewe is out if my league, but I hope that Panny or Sony have an affordable OLED sometime soon - I can't bring myself to actually buy something with an LG badge :eek:.

I did think long and hard but decided with interest rates near zero saving is pointless. I feel the same about the badge having had Panasonic TVs and then a Panny plasma panel. I am grateful that LG have invested time and effort into the displays though.

I did think long and hard but decided with interest rates near zero saving is pointless. I feel the same about the badge having had Panasonic TVs and then a Panny plasma panel. I am grateful that LG have invested time and effort into the displays though.

Yeah totally agree, without LG, OLED would be a dead duck by now, so credit where it's due. I think Panasonic et al should be ashamed of themselves to be honest for not developing it. I can understand that Plasma's time was up , but to then fall back on LCD.....

The "Split A/V" option will be in the Video settings section of the Oppo menu and not in the Audio section.
Ignore the above as I cannot find a "Split AV" option in any section of the set-up menu.[emoji15]
Sorry Ray, hope you get it sorted out soon.

Last edited:
I think I have sorted it. The above scenario was with the HDMI cable from the amp to the TV connected. Removing it and selecting the Oppo as the source on the TV has restored the sound in all its 5.1 glory.

What I don't understand is why I have to remove the HDMI cable from amp to TV to achieve this.

Hi, I'm having the same problem whereby I can only get my player and amp to work if like you I unplug from the receiver. Did you ever get to the bottom of how to keep the cable plugged in? Thanks

Hi, I'm having the same problem whereby I can only get my player and amp to work if like you I unplug from the receiver. Did you ever get to the bottom of how to keep the cable plugged in? Thanks

That was a while back and yes, I did get the problem sorted. My memory is a bit vague but try turning everything off at the mains, unplugging HDMI and reinserting them. Then power up everything and with a bit of luck the handshake should work. I didn't make any changes to menu items in the amp, TV or Oppo.

HDMI 2 is a very different animal to 1.4 and can be problematical. But with a bit of effort it should work for you. Just make sure all the firmware is up to date.

Thanks for helping me so quickly Ray, that actually makes sense. I'd tried everything and was starting to panic. Out of interest would I use the input on the amp that the audio hdmi is fed into? Or will the amp automatically switch to the TV input?
Apologies in advance, I feel I'm so close to cracking this!

@gjs387 , you have to remember that we all use different TVs and AVRs and the only thing we have in common is the 203. This is how mine is setup...

HDMI cable from AVR to HDMI 1 on TV for AVR menu.
HDMI cable from SkyQ to HDMI 2 on TV for Sky picture.
HDMI cable from Oppo to HDMI 4 on TV for Oppo picture.

Optical digital cable from SkyQ to AVR for SkyQ sound.
HDMI cable from Oppo to AVR for Oppo sound. Make sure it's connected to the Audio-only output.

I have to connect mine that way as my AVR is not 4K-compatible. It sounds like you're in a similar position so yes, you would need to run two HDMI cables from the Oppo - one to the TV and one to the AVR.

Make sure you select HDMI Audio Format as Bitstream on the Oppo Setup Menu - Audio Output Setup.

Received, thanks once again for the help. Most appreciated.

Just a general note to add:

When doing power resets of all equipment to reset the hdmi interfaces, when it comes to re-powering, always turn on the TV before turning on any and all peripheral equipment.

Just a general note to add:

When doing power resets of all equipment to reset the hdmi interfaces, when it comes to re-powering, always turn on the TV before turning on any and all peripheral equipment.

Thanks, all the help is appreciated.
I had another go at this last night and had a partial success. Managed to get a picture and the correct soundtrack, however it can be temperamental. I get the feeling that my old 1.3 version cable could be the cause, so intend to swap these out with v 2.0.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, all the help is appreciated.
I had another go at this last night and had a partial success. Managed to get a picture and the correct soundtrack, however it can be temperamental. I get the feeling that my old 1.3 version cable could be the cause, so intend to swap these out with v 2.0.
I'll let you know how it goes.

There is always the chance of a faulty cable and it is worth trying another.
However version numbers have nothing to do with it.

Those numbers do not apply to cables and never have.
Those numbers are only used in relation to cables by sellers in an attempt to sell new cables where they are not needed.
It is a fraudulent practice which has been banned since 2011.

Thanks for this. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why sometimes the hdmi makes the handshake and sometimes it doesn't.

There is always the chance of a faulty cable and it is worth trying another.
However version numbers have nothing to do with it.

Those numbers do not apply to cables and never have.
Those numbers are only used in relation to cables by sellers in an attempt to sell new cables where they are not needed.
It is a fraudulent practice which has been banned since 2011.

But if he has a 203 or UHD player and is going to watch UHD disks then surely he needs a certified Premium HDMI cable? Are you sure it's fraudulent to attempt to sell something under those circumstances? Surely buyer beware is all that's needed? o_O

Thanks for this. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why sometimes the hdmi makes the handshake and sometimes it doesn't.

It would help if you listed your kit. ;)

But if he has a 203 or UHD player and is going to watch UHD disks then surely he needs a certified Premium HDMI cable? Are you sure it's fraudulent to attempt to sell something under those circumstances? Surely buyer beware is all that's needed? o_O

Im talking about the HDMI ver 1.x , 2.x numbers ray , they have never applied to cables, ever.

The only honest thing you can say about cables are if they have been QC rated to "standard" , "high speed" , "premium" or the new "ultra".

Logos are here .....
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

you only need high speed for the 203 , those cables have been around for a decade or more , sellers try to upsell based on HDMI ver numbers but the "high speed" rating means the cable is exactly the same.
No such thing as a 1.3 cable or a 2.0 cable.

@andy1249 , until we know what kit he is using we can’t give definitive advice on cables. If UHD then surely Premium would be the better option. That is the type supplied with the Oppo 203.

You are missing the point entirely Ray.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom