Confused between Panasonic E6 and Sony W650A. Any suggestions?

For Picture Quality I will pick

• Total voters

ithehappy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a 42" LCD TV next week, and I have shortlisted Panny E6 and Sony W650A 42" models. The T.V will be used for SD and HD digital cable and I will also be watching 1080p movies (mkv, mp4) on it. I currently have a Bravia 26" (26S200A), which I am using for 6½ years and time for an upgrade, my parents are little biased towards Sony, I can't say I am not. It's been nearly 3 decades of Sony monopoly going on at our home....!
My main need is Picture Quality, I will not like to compromise on it at all. I have heard both good and bad commnets about both the T.V, like E6 has much deeper blacks than W650, and W650's refresh rate is way better and all. I will go to a store and see, but I don't think I will get free time until the end of next week, in the meantime you experienced members kindly input your opinions on both, if you were given the choice of both, which one would you pick, and why?
Btw, I do not need any Smart features or 3D or those stuffs these new models try to sell.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have created a poll as well, for fun ;)

Last edited:
The refresh rate of both is the same (50Hz). The 200Hz of the Sony is marketing bs, nothing more. Turning it on makes the picture much too dark and doesn't improve motion resolution.

The Sony has the better gaming performance and slightly better sound by all reports.

Both have excellent picture quality by all reports, but both are only 50Hz so you will not get the silky smooth movement that TVs with MCFI can provide.

Thanks, I don't know what MCFI is though. But as you said both have excellent picture quality, I can get any of them then right? What about the black levels, seen comments that on E6 it's far better than W6, how true is that?

Motion Compensated Frame Interpolation.

It takes two frames and then creates an intermediate frame. Your source material is always 50Hz so to get (proper) 100Hz you have to create this intermediate frame and display this between them.

The 200Hz claim of the Sony is really bordering on false advertising. But also the E6 is not 100Hz either. Both derive this number from turning the backlight off and on, which helps reduce blurring but doesn't give a smoother pciture.

Both VA panels so both going to be a magnitude better than IPS panels for deep blacks. You'll probable get very good blacks (for an LCD) from either set. Just not as good as plasma/CRT.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not expecting CRT/Plasma blacks, God old days were so good :(
One more thing, my current T.V., the 26" one, it has a response rate of 8 ms if I see right? And the W6 has 16 ms? Am I right here? There'd be a degradation then in terms of refresh rate...I must be wrong...

Response rate is something different to input lag. Pixel response is how log it takes to change a pixel from one colour to another. Values of 6ms,8ms are typical for VA panels. You can't entirely trust the rated response rate anyhow.

Input lag is how long it takes from the source being output (from your PC, PS3, Skybox) to the picture being displayed on the TV. So if you make a sudden input (move the mouse, make a sudden turn, etc), how long until this is reflected in the image you see.

Response rate is something different to input lag. Pixel response is how log it takes to change a pixel from one colour to another. Values of 6ms,8ms are typical for VA panels. You can't entirely trust the rated response rate anyhow.

Input lag is how long it takes from the source being output (from your PC, PS3, Skybox) to the picture being displayed on the TV. So if you make a sudden input (move the mouse, make a sudden turn, etc), how long until this is reflected in the image you see.
Oh okay, thanks. So the current models don't rely on this Response rate thing, I mean for my old tv it's mentioned under the spec, but for newer models like W6 series there's no mention of any response rate. I know about the input lag a little bit, I am not really bothered about it because I don't think I'll play my games on it, switching to Full HD will cost me some precious frames, lol.
Thanks for your informative replies, I am going for the W650 (sorry here in India that's the model no, I don't know about U.K).

Thanks,
Saurav.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom