1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused between PA30 and PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marcm, Sep 18, 2004.

1. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help, What is the difference between the 2 Panasonic models apart from from approx £500?? Is the PE30 worth the extra £500?
    Thanks

2. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I'm not sure how your level of support from Panasonic will change if you need to use them. The PE30 is specifically for the UK only while the PA30 would be classed as a grey import, i.e. it's not really meant to be sold into the UK.

I agree with dacres that the only other difference between the two TV's is that the UK PE30 has an analogue tuner and a DVB freeview tuner built in whereas the Euro PA30 only has the analogue tuner.

Is an integrated DVB tuner worth £500 squids? Obviously not as you can pick these up for about £80 or so. If anything went wrong, would the extra 500 initial outlay be worth it then? Can't say that I would know but you pays your money and takes your choice. I'm sure I read a post recently saying that Panny would give the option of a swap out TV in the event of a failure but that they wouldn't give that option if they know you have a grey import.

Might be worth doing a forum search on PA30 or European TV's.

S.

4. dacres

dacres
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I don't knew PE30 has a analogue tuner too.
    BTW here exists the same problem with grey import guaranty - no 2 years free service -.
    I see PW6 prices at UK and Spain; why £2700 and above with pedestal and a terminal board'? Currency, marketing. I don't know; but all the help I obtain at forum crashes with the prices.

5. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for asking is Digital Point has the PA30 in and is selling the main unit at £1999. a bit of a bargain!!
    http://www.digital-point.co.uk

No messing about with dodgy foreign websites and Ebay people.
    Any thoughts on buying them from a UK dealer.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Yes great price for a great plasma telly.

Having freeview on board is defo better than having 'another' separate box and the PE operates in a very integrated way with it. It's not simply an argument of getting a PA30 & STB and saving money.

Still, it's not bad at under £2k for an analogue tuner 42" Viera is it ? Some people can't get Freeview anyway so this may well just be the ticket for them. Anyway at this price it's PW6 and panel only territory so it's got to be worth a shout. :smashin:

7. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ekko
    I can't get freeview so have to rely on sky and will soon be upgrading to sky+ so the analogue vs digital tuner has always fallen flat with me.
    I think this looks like the one I'm gonna go with. Cheers

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    It's worth getting a decent Digital aerial put on the roof. Some areas although not listed on Freeview postcodes can still get reception with a proper aerial.

Freeview does knock out a fantastic picture on the Viera and is well worth having, and so does analogue but source needs to be good.

Still at under £2k you have to compare this with a PW6 and it's a bargain. The remote is different to the PE's as well, in some ways it's nicer and more ergonomic. Go for it. :thumbsup:

9. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ekko
    Any tips on how I should wire up with my set up. Through my amp or direct in? I presume I should get component.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Marc, you want to connect sky+ with a good quality scart lead straight to the screen ideally. The argument about grey imports falls flat on it's face when Panasonic GB never have enough loan units anyway, none of my customers have ever had one from Panny, I keep one, used for demo etc. as well, to lend if things go wrong. The only thing that ever breaks is the power supply anyway, and that's a 1/2 hour on site fix anyway.

11. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers MAW

Are you saying go direct from the DVD to the Screen as well and bypass the AMP. (I have always bypassed the amp up till now).

The page says there is 1yr MF warranty with it. (Digital-Point uk)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unless you need to use the component switching, like for x-box hi def pack as well as dvd, go direct.

13. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain, another question my Tosh has progressive scan will this give the best output to Viera?

Can you recommend the best type of cables under £50 each?

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Leading question mate. If it's a 9000 the yes, if it's a slightly creaky 520 then unlikely. Your plasma has a deinterlacer, it's just a question of where the best deinterlacing is being done. You need a good player to be better at this than a £3k display.

15. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, looks like the Tosh SD330 will not be as good as the TV. (I could probably start another thread on this one!!).
    On my current TV (bought in Dubai) I have no Scart In/ OUT so am using S-Video and audio outs. (also from the SKY- with a converter cable).
    Do i start with new Scart to Scart or re-use. Any recommendations on Cable M/F?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Get new scarts, fully wired ones. Any good make will do, personally I like QED but then I do sell them! But there's nothing that special about them, just well made etc.

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Best to go component. The image via scart is ever so slightly soft (well for my liking anyway).

The Viera coupled to a Toshiba DVD via component rocks :smashin: I'm using a 9000 and a 900 and it's all blisteringly detailed stuff. I don't even use PS as the interlaced from these machine is almost reference stuff.

Not sure why you would want to spend £50 on a cable for a 330 Toshiba though ?

Actually not sure why you would want to spend £50 on Scarts anyway ? Shop wisely and you will get as good for well under £20 ;)

Andy's your man at TV Cables (word to our sponsors). You can get a Thor Scart or better still a flat ribbon starting at £5.99 (!) which tend to be better isolated. The Viera is very sensitive to any crosstalk on interconnects.

You don't need to get branded stuff as it is a very murky grey area as to what the benefit really is. However, if you insist on branded and want very reasonably priced products that perform with the very best of them, go for Tech-Links.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Glad to hear the combo works, the PW6 has trouble with tosh dvd on component. And there's backup re my comments on cables from Ekko, don't listen to anyone who tells you to spend ££££ on wire, but equally the ones in the equipment box from new are total rubbish. Tech link are fine in my experience, I supply QED on my installs cos the cost is not too radical, and they look the part, and even total non geeks have heard of them, but I'm not hung up on makers names, we make our own component and s-video cables, and frequently VGA too.

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Serious MAW ? Doesn't work at all on the PW6 ? Why ?

Having tried Ixos, QED, Tech-Links, Thors etc etc etc. You soon come to a conclusion that money spent here can be better spent elsewhere.

Basically you want a well constructed cable, shielded plugs, fully wired and fully screened. Isolation and screening is helped further by ribbon cable purely by nature of the cable. Under £20 should do it.

20. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Sound advice. I'll have a look at TV cables and get some ordered. I'll go with the component and see how it looks.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm serious, not sure exactly why though. Try a search, there's a couple of threads on the subject. I've personally never experienced it, don't sell toshiba, but it's certainly true.