Confused and some help needed pls

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by d2cracker, Dec 30, 2006.

1. d2cracker

d2cracker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys

Can you help, im still in the market for a plasma or lcd. But have been looking around and you can spend anything from £500 to 3k.

So when im looking i have seen a none branded 37" lcd

LCD TV TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
    SCREEN SIZE
    37” DIAGONAL
    ASPECT RATIO
    16:9
    AUDIO
    STEREO OR NICAM STEREO
    TELETEXT
    FASTEXT 10PGS
    INPUTS
    RGB SCART1, RGB SCART2, S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE RCA VIDEO, STEREO RCA AUDIO, HDMI (HDCP), COMPONENT VIDEO (VIA VGA), PC VGA, PC AUDIO, ANTENNA
    OUTPUTS
    HEADPHONE, COMPOSITE SCART1 OUT, COMPOSITE SCART2 OUT, COMPOSITE RCA AUDIO LINE OUT
    RESOLUTION
    WXGA (1366X768)
    HORIZONTAL 176, VERTICAL 176
    VIEWING ANGLE
    500 CD/M2
    BRIGHTNESS
    600:01:00
    CONTRAST RATIO
    8 MS
    RESPONSE TIME
    SYSTEM
    PAL/SECAM/NTSC

and a branded one is

Picture / Display
    Aspect ratio : 16:9
    Brightness : 550 cd/m²
    Dynamic screen contrast : 4000:1
    Response time (typical) : 8 ms
    Viewing angle : 176º (H) / 176º (V)
    Diagonal screen size (inch) : 42 inch
    Diagonal screen size (metric) : 107 cm
    Display screen type : LCD WXGA Active Matrix TFT
    Panel resolution : 1366 x 768p
    Picture enhancement : Pixel Plus, 3/2 - 2/2 motion pull down, 3D combfilter, Active Control & Light sensor, Digital Natural Motion, Dynamic contrast enhancement, Jagged line suppression, Progressive scan, Pulse Killer Chip, Widescreen plus
    Screen enhancement : Anti reflection coated screen

what would the main difference be as all can see is the brightness is 50 more and the contrast is also higher.

Hope you can help.

si

2. PHOTOSHOP KID

PHOTOSHOP KID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I would not worry too much about specs, it`s what the picture looks like is the main thing, I have tried a number of Lcd panels, and none come close to a good Pana or Pioneer Plasma :)

3. David1943

David1943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May I ask where you've seen this non-branded TV?

There really is much more to choosing a screen than going purely on specifications and you ought to study some of the threads here and have a good look round before buying.

David :)

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    d2cracker,

Forget specs, they mean next to nothing. Different ways of measuring contrast ratio is just one example - none of the published figures are real.

Decide what size screen you want, remembering that very few people regret getting one that is too large, many regret having not gone for the next size up.

Think about what sources you already have and whether you need tuners, amps etc built into the screen. You may be able to get more picture quality for your "hard earned" by going for a "panel" rather than a "TV" if you already have Sky / Freeview etc and a surround sound amp / speakers.

Are you a gamer? Response time / latency may be important if so.

Where is the screen going? Darkish room or full-sun conservatory?

Is it going on a wall or a stand? Must cables be hidden?

As you may have gathered it isn't an easy choice but if you can narrow down the important factors it all becomes easier.

Sadly, at the end of the day, price is likely to be the deciding factor. £500 for a flat screen is unlikely to give much of a wow factor whereas if the budget is £3k you will get something good if you go to the right retailer.

Above all, don't buy without having a demonstration, and one that includes both standard definition and high definition (and both should not be just computer generated images).

5. d2cracker

d2cracker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi guys

cheers for the info, I must admit i have looked at some plasmas and lcd in JL and they all vary, My m8 has the 42px60 and to be honest i think the pic looks not good. (may just have his settings wrong as it got 5* rating).

Ive got Sky+, Dolby Digital Amp and 360 so to have the HD drive for it after.

Im also after a stand were the tele is floating above the stand.

Unfortunatly I only have about 700-800 quid to spend and £200 on a stand as 2nd baby on they way in may 07, so need to get it before he/she comes along.

I do have a projector and 70" screen so selling that to help fund it as it never gets used.:eek:

cheers
    si