1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused! Amp advice please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by staxdoobie, May 27, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just looking for some quick AV amp advice. I'm currently torn between the Yamaha DS-PAX630 and the Marantz SR5300. My problem is that I don't fully understand the growing number of sound formats out there, and I just want to be sure the amp I buy covers the majority of the new ones. For example, is DTS-ES the same as DTS-ES Discrete 6.1?

I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a quick nod as to whether the DS-PAX630 covers these formats, or whether I should plump for the Marantz. Also, is a standard Dolby Digital/DTS-capable DVD player (Toshiba SD3109) capable of playing all these new formats? Does the amp do all the decoding? I'm struggling somewhat with this, to be honest!

Thanks in advance.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Ok the 2 receivers you have short listed are about the same with the formats they can decode.
    They can both decode the extended 6 channel DD & DTS, have Pro Logic II. At the moment that is just about the only formats around. Some receivers do have 7.1 outputs, but there are currently no 7.1 channel DVD's so the 2 surround rear channels will output the same signal.
    All the decoding is done by the receiver, so the DVD player will output the ES, as long as you connect the DVD to receiver via a digital optical or coax cable (the choice is yours!).

Mark.

3. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks very much for your reply. Clears things up.

In my seemingly endless search for information, and providing I've made the correct assumptions, it appears that the DSPAX630 is a true 6.1 amp, but doesn't actually provide DTS-ES discrete. The 6.1 is 'matrixed'. Is this correct? Does that therefore mean it isn't a true 6.1 amp? And nor does it provide Neo 6. Which I gather the forthcoming 640 will.

I actually have a 630 on order, to collect Friday. I had been considering changing it for a Marantz 5300, but my brain's starting to bleed now, and I think I'll just stick with my original order. Just don't want to feel I'm buying outmoded gear, that's all.

4. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi staxdoobie

I pretty much agree with Mark.

The only decoding difference between the two amps you listed is the Yamaha does not do DTS ES Discrete 6.1 or DTS NEO.
    But the yamaha can handle DTS ES matrix decoding. Seeing as all DTS ES Discrete 6.1 films have a DTS ES matrix mode anyway, you won't be missing out really.

Just to make it clearer DTS ES Discrete 6.1 is currently the only 6.1 format.
    DTS ES Matrix and Dolby Digtial EX have 6 speaker which would suggest 6.1, but seeing as the rear centre channel is obtained by extracting the sound from the side rears. Its not real 6.1, but 5.1 with an extra speaker. But IMO (In my opinon) the rear centre speaker makes quiet a bit difference to the rear sound effects.

I have a Yamaha RXV 630 which I think is great for films, Star Wars 2 is just great on it.
    But if you want to listen to a lot of music on the amp as well the Marantz maybe the better option.

But best thing to do is have a demo of the two and let your ears decide.

As Mark said any dvd player is compatible with EX/ES formats as the amp does all the decoding.

Hope this helps

P.S sorry started typing the message before your later post
    Jimmysil

5. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks again.

Having heard and read nothing but good things about the DSPAX630, I think I'll stick with the order. I know it's about to be replaced by a model which provides true 6.1 amplification, but I don't think I'll be able to get that one in the amp/speaker package deal I'm going for. So that clears that up then!

6. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Staxdoobie....I'm thinking of getting the same amp - AX630. What speakers are you getting with the package?

Cheers.

7. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I was thinking of getting the Eltax Evolution, but they're currently out of stock and trying to source them for me. The reviews I've seen for these (if it's the Evolution 5.2) have been favourable. I'm wondering if it's an older revision of the Evolution which is actually being offered in the amp/speaker package (if there is an older version, I'm not sure).

8. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the recommendations, but these don't figure in the package deals I'm looking at. I'm financially forced down this package route unfortunately, so I just hope they manage to get the Evolution for me. The Eltax Liberty 5.0 is an option if they can't, but I know very little about them. I think they're onto Liberty 5.2 now, so don't know how old/good the 5.0 is.

10. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 5s are a few years old now, but I won't say how good they are as I have absoloutly nothing good to say about Eltax I'm afraid. I have the Yamaha AX630SE and it is a great amp for movies but is woefully lacking in the stereo department. Much better to use a stereo amp for stereo.

11. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SR5300's are amazin! Crikey the 9300 must be mind blowin:suicide:

12. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what your going through staxdoobie, all to well. Buying A/V stuff today is very hard as there is so much choice and a lot of it is very very good.
    I guess this is your first proper Home Cinema kit? I started late last year and it was very hard to make a decision I was like you I had several options of what to get and 50% of the people I asked would say my choice is good and 50% say it was not, NO matter what I came up with!!, and what a frigin headache it gave me. You could research your buy for 6 months and get nowhere as new stuff comes out monthly thats better than the stuff bought out last month (hoo hum)
    In the end I went for the Yamaha AX630 like you. And found it to be a truly amazing amplifier I loved it, for me the amp was all about movies o.k it music was not brilliant but it was for DVD's thats what I wanted it for. Also I think the Eltax Evo's 5.2 although I'm not familiar with them will be a good choice. I imagine you will be getting the package at a very good price, and if this is your first proper A/V amp and speaker pack, then its a good starting point into the world of Home Cinema.
    And if you like me decide you think that Home Cinema is amazing then you can always upgrade it in a year or more's time. The Yamaha amp and Eltax Evo package will always appeal to someone on a tight budget so you will be able to sell them on again IF you ever feel the need to upgrade.
    I do have to say that although the Eltax speaker package looks good and when I first looked into buying speakers Eltax was a name I looked at a lot. They seem very well made and do get good reviews but you can't always rely on reviews to be accurate, that is the only weakness if I was you I wouldd seriouly try to audition them first! Are you buying them from Richer Sounds? if so insist on a demo the may say no but INSIST on it :) and try to demo them with the Yamaha.

I'm not saying the Marantz is not any good in fact I like the feel of the Marantz it looks more expensive! But most decent amps around £400 mark are preety much equal.

Evo

13. EV@

EV@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah If your buying your amp from Richer Sounds then make sure your getting the Amp for there latest price!!!!!!

14. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, you're right, the choices on offer were bewildering. But I plumped for the Yamaha 630 and Eltax in the end, and I'm fairly certain I couldn't possibly be happier. Bear in mind that, for me, this is a massive step up from my previous set-up, so the results seem astonishing! I suppose people are always going to have preferences and prejudices for or against certain brands/manufacturers, but what I've bought has fulfilled and surpassed all my expectations. And for the relatively small amount of money I paid, I can't ask for any more than that.

A very satisfied Richer Sounds customer!

15. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    then good for you, now go and enjoy your system while you can. Wonder how long it will be untill you start wondering if it could be better so you start looking at kit and then demoing kit and then buying kit and then you are infected with upgraditus :D

16. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ooh no, not me, no fear. Stricken finances have already forced me onto a strict beans-on-toast diet, so there is absolutely, positively and completely no way I'll be buying anything else whatsoever within the next, ooh... fortnight.

17. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fortnight lol :D

18. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    See loads of spare money for upgrades. Cut back to just the bread, untoasted and no beens and there you go. :laugh:
    I give you 12 days max and you'll be hot on the heels of everybody else. :rolleyes:

Enjoy it. Just remember the cure for upgraditus is not available on the NHS. :(

Mark.

19. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    No, I'm determined to knuckle down this time, and prove to myself that it really is possible not to keep buying stuff. It's cheap nights in and food rations all the way from now on. Anyway, sod this, I'm off to the Chinese...

20. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Plasma..................................................