1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused again. Is it me or?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tufan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally found a shop in the vicinity where I can actually demo the Sammy SP-50L7HX and I was there few hours ago.

First I saw the set switched off and it still looked very very nice :) :) :)

Just very near to 7HX was a plasma, Samsung PS42D4S with very bright colors. And when 7HX was switched on, colors were not as bright in the first couple minutes but after that, wow :clap: :clap: :clap: Colors were almost as live as plasma. I played with various settings and found amazing how much control on options are available (especially compare to my current Philips rear projection). Compared to plasma, colors were just a bit less bright. I thought it was the contrast but I couldn't manage to get the colors as lively as plasma. 7HX owners, what would be the best set up???

And I noticed that I am not a rainbow effect guy at all (and neither is my wife) :cool: . I would also think that is due to Sammy 7HX quality as mentioned previously but I didn't compare any other DLP personally.

My wife noticed that plasma offered more details and when I started to check that more carefully, I had to agree with her. I set the sharpness to maxiumum and still the winner was plasma. For example I noticed more details on the face of a 1-2 day bearded guy or wrinkles on a face of an olderly lady on plasma compared to DLP. (well, it also has the advantages, everybody looks nicer. My wife commented that all people appear like they've been photoshopped). Could that be what some previously reffered as oilpaint effect?

While writing I recall this may be caused due to the broadcast source quality. As both had the same source (digital satellite broadcast) and possibly using same type of jacks, shouldn't be the results similar? And maybe it is normal that the plasma can achieve more details, is it?

Watching angle: I noticed that like the other rear projection TVs, watching angles for the best performance are limited but better then traditional projection TVs. I assume quality loss starts after about 75 degrees but still better then my current projection. Watching angles are very wide for tha plasma. I assume that there would be some quality loss on DLP even if I would be watching while leaning on the carpet. This means less bright colors for my kid who is mostly on the carpet while watching Schrek :( . No comments on what we do with my lady on the carpet when the kid sleeps :devil:

Watching at day light: It is almost impossibe to get good quality from my current Philips during the day light shining from the side so this was a very important point to consider for me. It was still bright daylight when I started my test and it came just from the right side as it is in my house. I saw my image in the plasma if I looked carefully but after a while I would neglect (that is also linked if you are watching bright colored scene or a scene at night and the latter would give you the chance to be a hollywood star). This was not the case for Sammy DLP. No reflections and colors were still very nice on DLP. :) :) :)

Result: STILL CONFUSED BUT 7HX IS STILL IN MY HEART!!! I believe that even plasma prices are now more affordable, they offer less viewing area compared to DLP so they are more expensive per watching area. Sammy DLP was very stylish either swithced on or off and the remote is very nice as well. I was impressed with what a rear projection TV is capable of but unfortunately there was a plasma just next to it that confused me like hell. I thought the new technology enables more detail. Plasma being 42" and 852x480 resolution, 50" is just 20% bigger but resolution of 1280x768 must be much better as the resolution is more then double. But again maybe this is not how you compare sharpness, I am just trying to work out a mathematical logic but result doesn't support me. Regarging color brightness, DLP looked a bit grayish or less lively colors maybe I should say and I still wonder if it was the settings.

Then what the hell am I waiting for :rotfl: : If it is possible to get sharper image detail and a bit better brightness, I am definitely for the DLP Sammy. So please comment if my findings are actually what I should expect for a DLP vs plasma comparison. If so, would I better of waiting the Toshiba or Samsung which will be available with chips better then 2+? (Will the new chips help colors or details or both?)

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey Tufan

I had similar doubts for a long while especially when comparing DLP to Plasma/LCD/CRT setups in store but now I have one at home I can honestly say I have never seen images as blisteringly sharp or as vibrantly coloured.

Check out this post:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1794521&postcount=66

The problem is that the Samsung does soften the image via RF and RGB in order to overcome the noise and artifacts that are typical on analogue and standard definition digital TV. This noise is very obvious when blown up to 46"-50"+ sizes but this is actually where the Samsung improves on the competition. The shocking performance of the Toshiba with analogue and digital is one of the key reasons I ditched it. Look closely at the plasmas in store and you'll see that the definition just isn't there.

However the component and HDMI connections - the latter especially - are super sharp and can be 1:1 pixel perfect with a clarity that surpases any PC monitor or LCD image i've ever seen. Infact you might even want to turn down the sharpness as it can expose those poorer quality DVD's :eek:

Show the Samsung a HD image and it will blow you away and I have never seen a plasma come close. Now when I look at plasma and lcd in the shops I can't believe how poor they are for the high price.

So stay true to the path and buy one - you won't regret it :thumbsup: Check out this forum for other posts by me, soni, and br14n and you'll see what we all think of this beautiful TV :D

Cheers
    KableMan

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :hiya: Kableman...just out of curiosity, do you know how deep the gap is between the Plinth at the front and the edge of the glass base at the bottom? If I was to go for this set I would think about a thin speaker to sit ther in the middle....cheers! :D

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I agree with Kableman. :thumbsup:

Untill you set these sets up properly in a home enviroment you will not see the best it has to offer. DLP rear por is leaps and bounds over crt rear pro. The colours are bright and vivid, blacks are black and the HD resolution feed with real HD will have you creaming your pants.

I use my RD65 for work and play as my pc is permantly connected. 99% of my posts are done on a 65' screen. :rolleyes:

I looked at loads of plasmas, lcds and dlp sets before I got the RD65 and hand on my heart I got the best choice. I havent seen any 65' display come close to the quality I have with my RD65. DLP is the way forward, plamsa's are yesterdays news. :D

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It's approx. 6" deep enough for a satellite speaker - I have my center standing to the right of the pedastal but when I get my sats i'll probably stick one in front or on the wall above the display.