1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused after auditioning B&W 600 S3 Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Infamy, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Infamy

Infamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to check out a set of B&W 600 S3 which sounded nice when watching a movie, but when I checked out the fronts (603 S3) in stereo using a CD there was ZERO bass response, I mean my current crappy $50 per speaker setup had twice the kick these did. It almost sounded like there was a high pass filter cutting out the frequencies.
    When I did an A-B between these set and a similar ranged pair of Dali speakers on the same Yamaha amp the difference was immense, not only was the top end richer but they had much more bass response too, it sounded like good speakers are supposed to.

I was a tad confused about the poor performance of the B&Ws which usually are considered to be fantastic speakers so I went home today to do some research.
    It turns out that every speaker in the Dali ranges are only 4 ohm impedance, where as the B&Ws are 8 ohm. Would this have been the reason the B&Ws were lacking so much in the top & bottom end? I thought 4 ohms took more power to drive than 8 ohm, isn't the result I got backwards? I'm not sure what the amp was rated at but is this just a case of matching the amp & speakers better?

I'm going to to the only other place in town that has the B&W 600 series to check them out there, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone can come up with an explanation for my experience.

2. goodtimes

goodtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    do you have the brass conects in place?
    if not place them back or the speakers need to be biwired to join the 4 posts up.
    just a thought.

3. Infamy

Infamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was an in store auditioning, may check when I go back though, thanks

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The impedance shouldn't have anything to do with bass response - more likely to be a setup problem at the amp end

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Agree that it is more likely to be a setup problem.
    My thoughts are that perhaps the speakers were connected 'out of phase' which does result in a loss of sound.

Mark.

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Were the speakers set to small or large?

7. Infamy

Infamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got this response on another forum which makes a fair explanation of what I heard