Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Confused about VGA > Component (JVC HV-32P37 CRT)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Facct, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Facct

Facct
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I've tried searching the forum for info, but I'm still a little confused as to what exactly I need to connect a JVC HV-32P37 CRT (component YPbPr input) to my PC, which has a GeForce FX5900 (VGA and DVI outs).

From what I've read, I need a VGA to component transcoder, but other than that ATI do one for certain ATI cards, and that Key Digital do one, I'm at a loss.

What do I need for my NVIDIA Card, and where do I get it from?

I've tried googling for Key Digital but haven't found any UK retailers, and the US ones charge $200 which is more than I can afford.

I saw this on ebay, but I assume it will not work as it's just a lead and not a transcoder?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32837&item=5784752307&rd=1

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Hmm, not sure on old NVidia cards I know both ATi and newer NVidia cards have component outputs via a dongle or a fly lead. It's a much easier way to do it but obviously doesn't help you if you don't want a new card!

This way you'd be able to get 1080i easily. I have the 28D40 and I use an older Ati Radeon 9800 Pro with a DVI->Component dongle to get 1080i.

3. Facct

Facct
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it would be much easier and cheaper, I can't afford a new card though as I will be spending all my money on the TV!

I've read in places that some FX5900 cards can output component through the TV-out, but no details as to which (My card is a Gainward FX Powerpack Ultra/1200 Golden Sample).

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    The advert on your link is indeed just for a lead, not a transcoder.
    It should have been described as a VGA to RGB/RCA lead. It would only work with a scaler or deinterlacer that can output component with embedded sync as an alternative to RGBHV.