Confused about using Sky with All-in-one

StephenR

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new 5.1 all-in-one system (not sure about with or without Blu-ray at the moment). I only have one HDMI input on my TV, so I am looking at ones with 3 HDMI inputs so I can use the all-in-one to switch between my sources (Sky HD, Xbox 360, Popcorn Hour). Sounds straightforward, but as we know the Sky boxes will not output 5.1 over HDMI, only optical. I have looked through some of the manuals for all-in-one systems and I can't see a way to switch to the Sky HDMI input but have the sound coming from the optical input. Does anyone know of any all-in-ones that can do this, or do they all do it and I am just being stupid? :confused:

I'm looking at getting a new 5.1 all-in-one system (not sure about with or without Blu-ray at the moment). I only have one HDMI input on my TV, so I am looking at ones with 3 HDMI inputs so I can use the all-in-one to switch between my sources (Sky HD, Xbox 360, Popcorn Hour). Sounds straightforward, but as we know the Sky boxes will not output 5.1 over HDMI, only optical. I have looked through some of the manuals for all-in-one systems and I can't see a way to switch to the Sky HDMI input but have the sound coming from the optical input. Does anyone know of any all-in-ones that can do this, or do they all do it and I am just being stupid? :confused:
Good point. Will look into that. There is bound to be some sort of HDMI expander available that would solve the problem.

Why not look at separates, you only end up with ONE extra box and the need for ONE extra power socket by the unit.
What do you get.
1. A far more flexible system. (lots of inputs, outputs etc)
2. Better quality
3. More output power (All-in-ones quote 1000's of watts but in reality produce about 120watts TOTAL, due to power consumption).
4. One bit breaks or you want to upgrade then just change it, NOT the whole system)

HDMI switches and splitters.

There would be a solution on the above web page. Andy (above) is right too. And you get more knobs to twiddle.

I currently have a HDMI switch but it doesn't work reliably. Although it is supposed to auto-switch, if I have the Popcorn Hour turned on it always takes priority even in standby. This means I have to turn it off at the switch on the back if I want to watch Sky - annoying. Maybe a better switch would solve this problem. I could look at separates but not sure I have the room - would need a compact receiver to fit on my TV stand and some slim speakers to fit by my TV. I would be pleased to hear any suggestions on that.

Just wondering how other people connect their Sky boxes to all-in-ones. Does everyone connect the Sky HDMI straight to the TV and only route the optical audio through the all-in-one system?

Does everyone connect the Sky HDMI straight to the TV and only route the optical audio through the all-in-one system?

That is the best way as you get normal SKY and stereo from the TV without having to switch the AV system on. Useful when watching the News, late night viewing, and general soap rubbish, why would you want any of those in 5.1, and anyway they would be in stereo.

Give over some dimensions for an AV amp, as for speakers separates are FAR superior to all-in-one speakers and can be VERY small.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom