1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about up conversion. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sillybeans, Mar 30, 2005.

1. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've been digging through this forum for a while now and am struggling with what is probably a very basic concept, namely Video up conversion. I'll try and explain what I need and then why I am confused.

Current set up:-

Toshiba 32ZP38 using supplied surround sound.
    Denon 2800 (Connected to TV with component video using Progressive PAL)
    Sky box

I like both the TV and DVD so am not changing these in the near future but have decided to add an amp, speakers and sky+. What I would like to do is connect the sky+ box via s-video and the DVD via component to the amp with a single component output to the tv. I am leaning towards the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE.

This is why I am confused:-

My tv accepts 480p and 575p so, do I assume the DVD player's 480p/575p will pass through to the output or is this "up converted" to 720p and will be unusable? Will the Sky+ s-video output be "up converted" to 480p or higher or is is just to 480i (Which would be fine)?

I've also read in the forums that the Denon models do not show an OSD in progressive mode. Is this the same for the Yamaha?

I've e-mailed Yamaha but am not hopeful about a reply.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Mike

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike, not an expert but believe that this amp upconverts not upscale, ie will up convert an s-video signal to component but will only act as a 'pass through' for data. SOme of the high end kit has upsclaing properties through internal faroudja scalers. so 480 in, 480 out. Not sure about the OSD though.
    JP

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    wannabeav is correct, upconversion only converts the signal to YUV component from S-Video or composite. It does not change the resolution or even improve the picture quality. What goes in is exactly the same as is sent out, just on a different type of connection, so you only need a single connection to the display.

Mark.

4. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the answers. It does make sense when put like that.

Just have to decide if I should go for the German or English Yamaha. Back to the search engine...