1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about TV connections

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by alfablue, Dec 20, 2003.

1. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not happy with how my system is connected up and I would like your views please.

Apologies if this is old stuff, a forum search didn’t reveal a specific solution. Also this probably covers multiple forums, but I think this might be the most appropriate place.

My setup
    TV: Panasonic TX 28PK1 (AV1 RGB, AV2, Video (composite?) / S-Video), AV3 – front of set, s-video (but I wouldn’t really want to use this on a permanent basis).

Digibox: Nokia Mediamaster 9859T (Scart 1: RGB out, Scart 2: Composite out)

Receiver: Yamaha RV-X596 RDS

DVD: Pioneer 656a

VCR: Sony SLV-E730 (1999 model).

I currently have DVD connected direct to TV AV1 for RGB
    Digibox Scart 1 to Receiver
    Digibox Scart 2 to VCR
    VCR Scart 1 to Receiver
    Receiver s-video “monitor” to Scart 2 (AV2) on TV.

I use an s-video output from the receiver (for Digibox & VCR) to TV Scart 2 (AV2) – presumably giving me composite(?) – though maybe s-video(except AV2-S doesn’t work correctly – see below)

I am happy with DVD quality on AV1, but the digibox picture suffers from what I think is “dot-crawl” or something – some solid colours have a jagged edge / tiny chequered pattern. I think this might be because I am inputting composite to TV.

When I switch AV2 to AV2-S – presumably to accept s-video in (which I reckon my Receiver should output), I get a black and white image (WHY???) with a meshy effect.

I am using good quality interconnects throughout (various brands including IXOS and QED).

I have thought of using a scart splitter to combine the digibox signal with DVD to use AV1 RGB, but I am worried this will degrade DVD quality (most splitters I have seen look very cheap and nasty).

Can anyone suggest a better way to connect my system to improve Digibox picture, and explain why I get B&W on AV2-S?

Related to this, my TV remembers the last AV input used, so setting up macros for my Pronto is puzzling me because AV inputs toggle rather than having discrete codes, so what happens depends on previous state. I know that putting everything through AV1 would resolve this, but I think it may not be the best option.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    :confused:

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Could you explain why you're routing the video signals in this set-up through your receiver?

Personally, with the kit you've got there I would hook up as follows:

Mediamaster 9859T SCART 1 -> SCART 2 Pioneer 656a
    SCART 1 Pioneer 656a -> AV1 TX 28PK1

Mediamaster 9859T SCART 2 -> SCART 2 VCR
    SCART 1 VCR -> AV 2 TX 28PK1

Then just hook up your receiver to the devices with some audio leads.

This will ensure you get RGB output from you digibox on your TV. If you're not sure if you're outputting RGB from the Pioneer 656a, just go into the set-up menu and check that's what you've got it set to.

I think the reason you're not getting S-Video is because you're not producing S-video anywhere in the chain - AFAIAA the SLV-E730 isn't an S-VHS deck, and your digibox only outputs RGB and composite. Unless your receiver is supposed to upconvert composite to S-video, you're not going to get S-video from your current set-up.

3. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Cerebros - I think you may have cracked it! I think I had these connections because my old DVD had only the one scart - now I have the 656 I see there are more options - I'll give it a try!

4. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cerebros

I tried it, but i am just getting blue/green lines scrolling down screen when playing digibox through AV1 (TV) routed through scart2 on DVD. Digibox & DVD are set to RGB. Any ideas?

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm...

Off-hand I'm not sure, but you might want to try jiggling the SCART connector that's in the 656a's SCART 2. In my own set-up i occasionally have to do this as all my AV gear is in front of the curtains in the room, and sometimes that SCART get's nudged out ever so slightly when opening or closing them. I then get the picture going a slight tint of blue until I adjust the SCART lead.

6. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cerebros - cracked it - many thanks!!!!!

I thought I had covered this (jiggled scarts) but then i replaced the scart and it fixed it - so maybe I inserted the new one more securely or there is a fault on the old one - it worked anyway. I am indebted!