Answered Confused about Tidal Masters streaming! Help, please!

Phildick

They do offer 44.1 (CD quality) but the 192 stuff just isn't there … I only found a few playlists and obscure artists … depends what you like I guess !

I gave up my subscription because of the lack of content and sticking with TIDAL 😎

But if you only want one and have Amazon already then probably worth the extra for the 44.1 stuff of which there is loads as you would expect ...
I would expect the hi res content to increase going forward. Most new release stuff has it, maybe not at 192 though. I don't think it's about the numbers anyway. More that you might get a better master, one that has not been messed about as much, compression etc.

maghouse

I would expect the hi res content to increase going forward. Most new release stuff has it, maybe not at 192 though. I don't think it's about the numbers anyway. More that you might get a better master, one that has not been messed about as much, compression etc.

Yep - absolutely - I'm a great believer in 'let your ears judge ... not what the numbers say !

One that has not been messed about - yep agree again - hence why Vinyl is the best 😎

Cebolla

Does that include any of the recently cut vinyl albums that have only been sourced from digital hi-res file tracks? :rolleyes:

maghouse

Does that include any of the recently cut vinyl albums that have only been sourced from digital hi-res file tracks? :rolleyes:

:laugh: you old cynic you ...

Yes it does but even more original pressings which sound fab :thumbsup:

JEDIBLADE

I currently have an Intel nuc with the tidal app, this is connected to my amp (Arcam 550) with an HDMI cable. I was under the impression that I was getting mqa but reading these posts I don't think I am. So it's Xmas and I've got a bit of cash spare so what would be the best way to get the best quality music on my system, qobuz, a separate DAC or both?

Cebolla

I currently have an Intel nuc with the tidal app, this is connected to my amp (Arcam 550) with an HDMI cable. I was under the impression that I was getting mqa but reading these posts I don't think I am.
Assuming you're running Windows (as opposed to Linux) on your Intel Nuc, so making it very likely the "tidal app" you're referring to is the Windows version of the official TIDAL Desktop app, then I'm not sure how you've concluded that you're not "getting mqa" from it, from you reading my posts.

For example, my first reply to the OP, the last section clearly states that you do, specifically the final point - just swap the OP's Marantz SR7012 for your Arcam 550 and "tied to a computer" for your Intel Nuc with HDMI cable:
BTW, the only way you can get your current Maranatz SR7012 based set up to stream decoded TIDAL Masters MQA tracks, is to:

- either purchase a fully decoding MQA DAC (so not one of the cheaper MQA Renderer only capable DACs like the Audioquest Dragonfly you mentioned) and then use the mconnect Player app (which also supports TIDAL Masters MQA) on the iPhone for control (so not TIDAL's own iOS app, which is not capable of controlling UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers like your Marantz SR7012);

- or, be tied to a computer running TIDAL MQA approved software (eg TIDAL Desktop app) to output to the Marantz SR7012, which will give you MQA decoding up to the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold') of up to 24/96kHz.

Also, let's have another look at the first paragraph of the same post:
MQA files, as used by TIDAL Masters, provides lossy hi-res up to 24 bit/96kHz sample rate and only by MQA approved software or hardware. Any so called 'further unfolding' to higher sampling rates, by MQA approved hardware only, is just upsampling, so no actual audio content is contained in those higher sample rates.
It's not saying that you're not getting MQA. It is saying that MQA is lossy - do you think that MQA is lossless and that is what is confusing you?

Last edited:

JEDIBLADE

There are many things about streaming that confuses me, apologies obviously I misread your posts;)

Let me put things another way and just say 'what would be the best way to get the best quality music on my system, qobuz, a separate DAC or both'?

JEDIBLADE

Have I managed to end this thread:(

nialli

Does it offer the same quality as Tidal, I already subscribe to Amazon Unlimited.
I’ve just cancelled Amazon HD. There’s a problem with the service where streams revert to ‘Standard’ (ie Sub-Spotify quality) after starting in HD or UHD. This is on the Mac OS app

Karuno

Novice Member
Hi Neil,

MQA files, as used by TIDAL Masters, provides lossy hi-res up to 24 bit/96kHz sample rate and only by MQA approved software or hardware. Any so called 'further unfolding' to higher sampling rates, by MQA approved hardware only, is just upsampling, so no actual audio content is contained in those higher sample rates.

If you really want your Marantz SR7012 to stream true lossless hi-res up to 24/192kHz, now, without the need to purchase any extra hardware, why not give the Qobuz a go - with its hi-res Studio plan (free 1 month trial)?
Enjoy unlimited streaming of your music with Qobuz - 1 free month.

Unlike TIDAL, which supplies MQA encoded FLAC file tracks for streaming hi-res, Qobuz uses normal FLAC file tracks for hi-res - which your Marantz can of course already stream and play. All you need is a Qobuz supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app on your iPhone, such as mconnect Player (free Lite version available).

BTW, the only way you can get your current Maranatz SR7012 based set up to stream decoded TIDAL Masters MQA tracks, is to:

- either purchase a fully decoding MQA DAC (so not one of the cheaper MQA Renderer only capable DACs like the Audioquest Dragonfly you mentioned) and then use the mconnect Player app (which also supports TIDAL Masters MQA) on the iPhone for control (so not TIDAL's own iOS app, which is not capable of controlling UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers like your Marantz SR7012);

- or, be tied to a computer running TIDAL MQA approved software (eg TIDAL Desktop app) to output to the Marantz SR7012, which will give you MQA decoding up to the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold') of up to 24/96kHz.

John
Hello, I have a Marantz SR7012 and just got the mconnect player app in my iphone, when I select the play to option, my Marantz is not showin up, do you know if the SR7012 does actually supports UPnP I can not find any settings in the marantz about this, An y help would be really appreciate it

Thanks a lot guys

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Tried them all but unlike some in here I didn’t really get on with Quobuz and much preferred Tidal but that’s mainly down to content that I want rather than quality. And the fact that I can get 50% off Tidal HIFi as my sons a student.
Amazon HD was ok and a good price as I have prime but again lacks content.

So I have an Apple Music Family account that serves the whole family in a simple format.

Tidal for me, but really comes into its own with Roon of which I’m a BIG fan. The only thing I missed with Spotify was music discovery but Roon (loaded with my own library) integrated with Tidal solved that, and some!
And I upgraded my Chord MojoPoly combo to a Hugo2Go which is a game changer for no more wires anywhere and also serves as a network steamer in my home set up.
But as someone has already said, let yourself ears, content and budget guide you.

Karuno

Novice Member
Hi Neil,

If you really want your Marantz SR7012 to stream true lossless hi-res up to 24/192kHz, now, without the need to purchase any extra hardware, why not give the Qobuz a go - with its hi-res Studio plan (free 1 month trial)?

Unlike TIDAL, which supplies MQA encoded FLAC file tracks for streaming hi-res, Qobuz uses normal FLAC file tracks for hi-res - which your Marantz can of course already stream and play. All you need is a Qobuz supporting UPnP/DLNA controller app on your iPhone, such as mconnect Player (free Lite version available).

John

Hi Neil,

John
Hello, I have a Marantz SR7012 and just got the mconnect player app in my iphone, when I select the play to option, my Marantz is not showin up, do you know if the SR7012 does actually supports UPnP I can not find any settings in the marantz about this, An y help would be really appreciate it

Thanks a lot guys

nashmills

Thanks a lot guys
I have a similar problem with my Marantz NR1509. The Mconnect app will see it sometimes and not others. I find if you open the Play To page and leave it for a few minutes it will usually appear and then it works well. Other apps I've tried including BubbleUPnP (Android) and Audirvana (Mac/Windows) have no problems with dlna to the Marantz.

Karuno

Novice Member
Thanks a lot, yes I was able to see my Marantz after a few minutes, thank you very much for the tip, that solve it. I hope Heos brings Qobuz support soon so I can use that directly.

Keep having fun with Music,

Cebolla

Slow or even lack of appearance of UPnP/DLNA devices on a UPnP/DLNA controller app is a strong indication of the network management device (eg, the router) not allowing UPnP device discovery to work properly.

This is usually due to the router being over aggressive in its policing of IGMP multicast data, which is used by UPnP device discovery. If your router has an IGMP Snooping setting it may be worth disabling it to see if the UPnP device discovery works better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom